Advice on avoiding a revolt against the Cubmaster...

Once again, thanks for the thoughtful replies and opinions. Your replies prompted me to look into what exactly is the recommended committee structure. I was surprised to see the holes that we have in our structure. I have spent so much time this past year focusing on my duties as a new DL that I hadn't given any thought to pack administration.

My honest opinion of our CM is that he cares about scouting and cares about his position. I'm going to continue to back him.

We are having our B&G this weekend so once the dust settles from that I am going to start pushing us to think towards next year and to focus on getting the pack more help (committee members and ACMs). If I can sell the others on recruiting more help then maybe I can divert their attention from the CM.

KISMIF,

Recruiting more help sounds like the plan.

One suggestion - DON'T make a cattle call request for help at a Pack Meeting. I can almost guarantee, the only parents who'll volunteer are the ones you hoped wouldn't.

Instead, get with all the DLs and compare notes - which parents have you seen pitching in at campouts & other events? Who has some necessary skills (for example, if your pack needs a webpage - look for a techno-geek; need a treasurer - look for a CPA). Get a list together of the people that you would want on the committee, and privately approach each one.

Good Luck!

NC

Novice_Cubmaster,

Thanks for the advice. That is definitely my plan. I have been reviewing my Scout Leader Book with regards to the recommended pack committee structure and how to best select/recruit new helpers. We definitely have some holes in our committee. I looked back through some older Pack newsletters and to the best of my knowledge we currently have no CC!

At our upcoming pack leader meeting I am going to propose we make a plan to address these needs. I am going to present my proposal as if I'm just thinking towards next year, laying out the openings as I see them and then I am hoping we will have a nice discussion about how to select candidates for the positions and then meet with them 1-on-1 to recruit them.

I'm hoping that when the others see the recommended structure and our lack of coverage for those positions, that they will begin to realize that they are expecting too much from the CM.

I have a parent in my den who will have a Tiger cub joining next year. I am going to nominate him for the Tiger DL for next year. I am also going to discuss some names for an ADL for my den for next year. Once I get this ball rolling the CM might suggest on his own that he needs an ACM, or perhaps someone else will. What I'm thinking is that by listing out the other needs it won't seem only like I'm saying that the CM needs help.

• 3 weeks later...

You have to have a CC and at least several more committee members in order to recharter. So there is someone listed as a CC and committee on your paperwork. Are they just names to look legit? And regardless of the DL's opinions, they can't fire the CM. That is the responsibility soley of the IH and/or COR.

The question remains, who is running the committee meetings and does the COR attend? Also, are any of them trained?