Webelos program question

My son just completed Bear and he is 10. By the time he starts Webelos in August(thats when everyone begins in their new dens) my son will be 10 1/2 so my question is could he realisticly complete the program in 6 months, Webelos badge and AOL? It seems like a lot to cover in 6 months.

I feel sort of like he is going to be rushed more than anything and maybe he should just wait until he is 11 and just transfer to the Troop.

I am interested in your suggestions and advice anyone else have this situation before? Thanks in advance

Trailblazermom

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trailblazermom, welcome.

If you Pack placed him by age, that may not be uncommon. You post suggests that the other boys in his rank are younger though. Typically Bears are Third graders and boys 9 years old. If you Pack runs by age, they may not advance until the boys are done with their 11 year old year. Anyway, that is water under the bridge now. With a lot of push, the Webelos badge can be earned in 6 months. Our Pack had two Webelo 2's join this year and they are both getting their badge. AOL is alot harder in that time, but if you, his leaders, and he are dedicated it could possibly be done. Just keep in mind that you don't want him to burn out on Scouts.

Also keep in mind that he can work on pin requirements over the summer and they should count towards his Webelo's Badge & AOL.(This message has been edited by Pack212Scouter)

I think she is referring to age just for WEBELOS. The maximum age a cub scout is allowed to be is 11 which is the minimum age for boy scouts. If the young man is interested and willing to work he can complete the program in a year. There is no reason to wait for August though as soon as school is out he is officially a WEBELOS and can start working on the requirements and if he wants to AOL probably should. It is up to you and him he could join boy scouts at eleven even if he was never in cubs. The boys know at right around that age they get bored with cub scouts and are chomping at the bit to get to the greater challenges that await them in the troop. My son crossed over technically a year early because he is a September baby and would turn 11 well before WEB II was complete. He had completed all his AOL as had couple of other boys that went to all the outings. If you decide to stay with the pack make sure to check with the council office and let them know some of them want to bump those 11 year olds up to a troop ASAP.

To clarify myself a little more. The Cub Scout program is more grade related than age related (except for LDS programs I believe). A boy can be a Webelo as long as he is in his 4th or 5th grade year, and has not turned 11 before the start of that year. Typically a boy wants to attend Cub Scouting with those in his grade group. That said, crossover to Boy Scouts typically occurs when the Troop wants them in their last year. Boys are usually eager to get started in Boy Scouting. Some troops want the boys to cross over together, often in early Spring of thier 5th grade year. Some cross them as they reach requirements to be a Boy Scout. Technically a boy can cross over anytime that he is 10 and has completed his AOL or once he turns 11. That said, there is nothing in the book that requires him to cross over and stop working on his AOL until his 5th grade year ends, if that is something that he really wants to complete. I wouldn't worry to much about the Webelo badge if something happens and he gets behind. It is not a requirement for Boy Scouts, and doesn't carry over. Only the AOL can be carried over to Boy Scouting.(This message has been edited by Pack212Scouter)(This message has been edited by Pack212Scouter)

As others have said, it is definitely possible to earn both the Webelos Badge and the AOL in 6 months. However why rush him thru his Webelos experience?

He can work on Webelos things over the summer, Traveler is a good one, so is Aquanaut. Sign him up for Webelos resident camp. That will be fun and help him with other requirements.

Even though he will be 11 before the end of his 4th grade year, he can still take the entire time to complete his requirements and then cross to a Troop at the end of 4th grade.

Talk to your son first and find out what he is interested in doing. Then talk to his den leader and sit down and make a plan for him.

Good Luck and Happy Scouting!!

Hi Trailblazermom

Your son can certainly earn both badges in six months if he is willing. However, that is a lot of focus on just the advancement part of the program. You have to measure your son personally, but most boys who ram that much Webelos advancement through in six month aren't going to enjoy the program very much. As a SM and a CM, I would suggest to just a reasonable goal of earning the AOL because that award carries over into the Troop. If your son is ambitious, then you might consider the Webelos award as well. But I sure would make sure he is first having fun. When your son looks 20 years back on his Webelos experience, how do you want him to reflect on the experience?

I love this scouting stuff.

Barry

I couldn't agree more with the previous advice: Wahtever you do, do not wait to have him start his badges. I was Asst for my son's Webelo den, who just crossed over, and five out of 6 of them earned every single badge, and we only had to do one of them this entire last "year" ( since school started this year). The point is, if we did 19 in an entire year, you can surely do 8 in 9 monthes utilizing your summer.

~Pixie

I have read all the responses and I see that he can start working on Webs as soon as the pack has graduation. However I don't know if the Webs leader will be willing to work with me/him over the summer. DL seems to have own agenda for the Webs DL has now. It had been mentioned that I may want to "lone scout" to get him through Webs. Not sure if that is a possible or why that was suggested.

I know from the previous year through the summer the boys did not work on their new rank over the summer they worked on electives from whatever rank they were. I am going to have to talk to the CM and I guess den leader. As for resident camps I don't know of any for webelos where i am. That is something I will have to ask about.

Trailblazermom

A Cub Scout moves up to the next program phase on June 1st each year. So your son will officially become a Webelos Scout on June 1. As such, he cannot 'go back' and earn Bear electives - he should begin working on Webelos activity badges and the Webelos badge requirements during your pack's summer program.

See "The Cub Scout Cycle":

http://www.directservicebsa.org/pdf/13-027.pdf

If your son's Webelos leader takes his training this spring and gets a copy of the Webelos Leader Guide, he will see that this summer is a vital piece of the den's program. Webelos should camp several times a year. Skipping a whole summer cuts out three months when camping is at its best. Cub Scout leaders aren't school teachers - we don't 'get the summer off'. Packs and dens need to have some sort of year 'round program. Webelos dens can experience a lot of program during the summer. Your den leader is short changing your son and his friends if he doesn't offer these opportunities.

You may have been offered the Lone Scout option because your son has an unusual situation. In addition there may be a perception that you're 'rocking the boat' by asking the leaders to step out of "the way we've always done it". But you're not. You are only expecting what *should* happen for the den, nothing more.

Offer to help the Webelos den leader plan a summer program. If he sees that you're willing to partner with him to offer the Scouts a complete experience, he may be more willing to step up and fulfill his obligation.