AOL Career Arrows and more

I am in the process of hand-making AOL career arrows for my Webelos II, as Blue & Gold and crossover season approaches quickly. I've also arranged for the OA ceremony team to perform, and do whatever it is they do at our B&G. We've haven't had any Webelos earn AOL or go on to Boy Scouts since my son joined as a Wolf 3 1/2 years ago so this, at least in my mind, is a big deal. The problem? The apathy and lack-of-communication bug seems to have struck the den and pack.

Out of a den of 7 (six have been together since Wolf) I have three who have earned AOL, and going on the the same troop. I have 2 boys who just need to clear up some paperwork have a Scoutmaster Conference, and recite Scout Law to earn AOL, but they are dragging their feet on this. Both have said they want to go on, but their parents have expressed doubts. Boy #6 has been marginally active and lacks 2 required pins and practically everything else for AOL. The boy says he wants to go on, even though he hates camping. Dad chuckles and shakes his head. Boy #7 joined last May, and hit the ground running. But he's since slowed down, been in some big trouble at school now and then, and participation has dropped off. He needs Readyman, but he's very close on most of the other required Activity Pins, so it will be close, but if he stays committed he can do it. He and his guardian want him to continue scouting and would like to cross over with the rest of the den at the end of the month even though I gave him the option of staying through till May.

So do I present all the boys with career arrows, with appropriate markings, or only those who have earned their AOL? The parents of the boys "on the bubble" have kinda blown me off when I try to get info about the boys' future. I'm just trying to plan and keep the OA crew informed. I like the boys and want to be able to give them fair recognition, but unless I can light a fire under the parents' butts so I can know what's going on, I'm in the dark.

My second issue is with the B&G planning. I've been talking about the OA AOL & Crossover ceremony with other leaders for months. I stepped down as CC at the end of 07, and after 4 years of the same people running the pack we have new blood finally. I happy about that, after trying to recruit our "replacements" for the past year-and-a-half. But now I feel a little too far out of the loop, particularly with B&G planning which has been delegated to a new parent who doesn't even know what OA or AOL or Crossover even is.(This message has been edited by SequoiaWDL)

Continuing...

The OA crew chief told me all he needs is some space and about 20 or so minutes, but since I've sort of been blown off when I've talked to the committee and other leaders, and even my Webelos parents have been indifferent, should I just relieve myself of the stress, call the OA thing off, and let the highlight of the B&G be our DE and his FOS speech? I want this to be a big deal, but I keep getting the impression no one else cares.

Thanks for letting me vent a little.

A place to vent is part of this campfire. Better on us than when it might do damage.

When my son got his AOL it was not at B&G. The OA did a very good ceremony at night with a bonfire and all. I really loved the look on the boys' faces. They were in awe. Check with the AO if they might do something along those lines for presentation and just do a simple badge presentation at B&G.

Lots of luck

I like the idea of a separate night for Crossover. So does our District Event Chairman. He planned a district-wide event at a cool outdoor venue. The Council planning folks liked the idea so much they trumped his plans with their own little shindig, or so I heard. But neither event appeared on the council calendar, so we were left with none. I could attempt to plan our own event, but I'm afraid no one would bother to show.

Really to the boys they don't need a large audience. Just the families can be fine. In someways it adds to the mystery. What is important is if it will be something that they remember. Only families and friends came to ours and it did not bother the boys that the pack was not there. If possible do it before the B&G. The talk by the boys will be interesting as they tell the others about what happened.

What is important is that a good contingent from their new troop is there to receive them. Blue and Golds are typically too early for AOL and a crossover ceremony is held later in the spring. The pack is not required to be there but it is usually planned as a spectacle that they want to see. some districts have large elaborate district events too. If you really want to go whole hog contact your OA chapter and see if you can get the ceremonial dance team to come. As long as the new scouts have a trip or two under their belts as scouts before summer camp gives you the timing of how late you can push it.