I have resigned as Cub Master

I am sorry this is so long but there have been ongoing issues

I am writing this letter because of the lack of scouting honesty from the Leaders all the way up from the Tiger leader to the Webelos II leader. The Unit Commissioner and the Chartered Organization Representative can only go by the information that they are receiving.

When I took this pack over as Cub Master I knew nothing about scouting and received no help from anyone. I fumbled my way through Blue & Gold and the first year. The second year was better and the third good and the forth is when things started to happen that spiraled down to me putting in my resignation.

We had issues from the beginning with the pack as it was run like a good ole boys club when I took it over and I got a lot of resistants when I tried bring in new ideas and open it up to women. Our CC had died in the second year and my wife had partitioned to become the CC and was voted into the position by the CO

Also In the beginning of the second year we lost our UC and went almost an entire year without one. If it was not for the persistence of me and the CC we would not have gotten one. The COR was of no help and as far as I knew was not perusing the issue. When I asked at Council what was going on I was told that there are other units that were in need of UCs and my unit was being run fine and there were no issues so there was no need to put a UC in at the moment. This response made me feel good to know that Council thought I was doing a good job.

I am a dedicated leader to the scouting program and am also an ASM to my sons troop and have attended W/B. My wife and I are respected in the Scouting community in our area. And at all times have had nothing but the best welfare of the boys in the forefront of our mind. I have always stated if at any point in time I felt or someone else felt I was not doing my job as CM to the best of my ability I would willingly step down and hand the pack over to another.

In the middle of the 07 Scouting season I took on a new ACM. I and my wife and the COR thought he would be a good addition to the leadership. I was wrong this man proved to create more problems internally in the pack than he was worth.

Not to go into a long drawn out story he was loud obnoxious and disrespective to leaders and Cub families. He would take it upon himself to make announcements and inform the pack of things that were not talked about and confirmed. He had also single handedly kill the popcorn sales for the pack in the year and that he was there. In June the COR came to a leaders meeting and after the meeting I walk the COR out and was told that he was not the right type of person for the job. Issues continued with the ACM to the point that the ACM walked out of a leaders meeting. CC and I wanted him removed from the pack. The Webelos I Leaders had come to us requesting that we keep this whole matter under wraps and settle it without going to the UC and the COR and that there be a committee meeting held to vote on what to do with this man. Not thinking that it would go the way that it did. It was stated at this meeting by the CC what the discussion and vote was to be about and that anything that was discussed at this meeting stay behind closed doors. All who were present at this meeting had agreed to that request.

I was also present at this committee meeting. I had told committee members things that had happened that they were not aware of. The meeting went on for about 1 hour and the outcome was to make the recommendation to the COR to have ACM removed. The CC made the recommendation and a rough draft letter was sent to the CC from the COR Stating that the CO was removing him. This caused complete disharmony in the leadership of the pack and all the leaders looked at the CC and the CM as it was all our doing.

Our Webelos I leaders is a good friend of the ACM and was completely unhappy with the outcome of the meeting and felt he needed to inform the leadership of the entire pack the outcome of the meeting and his interpretation of what went on. He had put the committee members in a bad situation and betrayed the trust that we had in him. He further went on to explain why he felt the decision should be reversed and questioned the decision of the CO and Council and the recommendation that was made and led all the leaders to believe that it was all a personal agenda of the CC and the CM to have this man removed. The CC responded with a response that was only directed to the people that were at the meeting and the UC and COR.

That following week the UC called the CC and informed her that the UC and the COR wanted to have a meeting just to make sure we were all on the same page. We were also told that there have been two formal complaints made to council about the ACM and numerous unofficial ones made by parents of cubs and also hear say that was going around inner circles at council and that this last issue was the straw that broke the camels back..

At this same meeting we meaning the CC and CM were told that we have 100% backing of the CO and Council. In the same breath we were also told that we have been doing an excellent job and the CO wants us to continue in our positions. The COR also stated that the CO reviews the goings on of the pack on a monthly basis and if the CO felt that I was not doing my job or running the pack the way they wanted it I would have been asked to step down. This meeting had occurred on 20th of Jan.

On January 21, 2007 I received an email from my Wolf leader stating that he had called a leaders meeting and this leaders meeting was to be a TEAM BUILDING meeting to resort the moral of the pack. This came as a surprise to me and the CC as we were not aware of anything of the sort it was not run by us at all and as far as the COR and the UC were concerned they were not asked either. The UC and the COR were concerned and inquired about this team building meeting. They were told by all that it was nothing but that a team building meeting. The CC also called up the wolf leader and when he was asked she was told the same thing. She also expressed her concern that a meeting be called to order without consulting her first. The COR and the UC felt that it was not needed for them to be at this meeting as it was billed as a team building meeting.

On January 27th we arrived at the team building meeting. It was anything but that. It turned out to be a witch hunt and inquisition breaking the CC down and intimidate her to the point of stepping down. Everyone at this meeting had prepared accusations as to why the CC should not be in the position that she is in. The main agenda was to remove her and call for a vote of no confidence. The person leading this inquisition was Webelos I leader the same person who was UN happy with the decision that the committee made at the priory meeting. The leaders at the meeting were accusing the CC and the CM of having agendas of their own and not having the boys best interest at heart and being in collusion with each other. They also went as far as to bring other packs By-Laws and started to quote rules out of them. At one point they even brought the CC to tears because of their accusations. I wanted nothing more to do with this pack because of all the lies and deceit.

After calming the CC down and going home I drafted a letter stating my resignation and sent it out to the UC, COR, and all the leaders. The leaders had contrived this head hunt and had lied to everyone of their intent. That night the CC got an email from the UC asking her to call. I was not privy to the conversation but I do know that the UC was appalled by what happened and told the CC that she had no idea of what happened and that she was told by Webelos leader himself that it was to be a team building meeting and nothing else. She also told the CC that the CM cant step down as the Pack needed a CM to re-Charter. I reluctantly signed the Charter. Only on behave of the boys did I do this I did not want the pack to dissolve.

The next day January 28th I received an email from my COR stating that I call him ASAP at work. I did and I spoke with him and told him what had taking place at this so called Team Building meeting. I told him that they brought the CC to tears. He was also appalled and could not believe what I was telling him. In defense for the COR he told me that he had wished that I would have talked to him before submitting my resignation letter because it cannot be reversed. He did say to send out another email stating that the CO at this time would not accept my letter of resignation and that I am still CM. And to the next leaders meeting would be a continuation of the team building meeting would be held on February 6th at the church. That never happened. All issues would be discussed and closed at that point. Once again he reaffirmed the total support that the CO and Council would give us. . I found out later that an additional leaders meeting was held without the knowledge of the CC and the CM.

I got home that night and called him and had a short conversation with him. He told me that he was going to set the law down and tell all the leaders that this is the way things are going to be and if they dont like it well... He also stated that all this rederic was coming from the X ACM and said that he is feeding these leaders false information and manipulating them to his advantage to set them all against us. He also told me that this man is a psychotic person and will stop at nothing. And as last time told me how important it was that I and the CC know that the CO has 250 Men strong standing behind us. And that this pack was here long before the leaders and it will be here long after the leaders. He told me that he has been in this position before and has handled it and that we could rebuild the pack.

I got a phone call at about 6:30Friday the 1st of Feb. from the COR telling me that we need to have a meeting. We met in the morning at the dinner the meeting consisted of the COR, CC and CM. At this meeting things seemed to turn around completely. I was told that the CO now accepts my resignation and that I was not giving all the leaders any information. I was not fit for the position anymore and the biggest thing was that the leaders who so desperately wanted the CC to leave are now saying they have no issues with her and welcome her to stay on as CC. I was also told that the majority of the parents were displeased with the program and that they were going to bring their children elsewhere. A total in 22 children in all were ready to leave the pack. I was also told that council knew about this and nothing was ever said until now. The COR stated that he could not let this happen to the pack and that they were now going to step in and restructure the pack. As I have stated before that if need be I would do whatever needed to be done for the welfare of the boys. That has always been and still is my main concern. I am not upset that that the COR has now accepted my resignation. I did write it and I did submit it.

The thing that is bothering me is the way in which things were done and the way it was handled. Not having to quote the Scout oath, motto and law, as we all know it by heart. There has been nothing but deceit back stabbing and lying going on here all the way from the Tiger leader all the way up to the COR and the UC. It went from one week ago the leaders wanting to have the CC head on a platter making her break down and cry to a meeting at a dinner telling the CM that the CO accepts his resignation and that the leaders welcome the CC to stay on.

In short there is something very wrong here. All the things that have happened over the past week two weeks do not add up. How can these leaders still be left in the position that they are in and be held accountable to run a proper BSA program and be trusted to care for the welfare of the children when they all cannot show the respect trust and honesty to their up line?

I do know full well that the CO has the final say about anything in the pack. I am now pondering the entire BSA structure and weather I want to be part of it on the Boy Scout level.

its a shame when - regardless of the circumstance - someone who seems to very much enjoy scouting is soured by the actions of others. i have been in a similar situation (1 sour leader putting a sour mood on everyone else) and dont wish that on anyone else.

I would say to take a little time and OODA (or do at least one Boyd cycle on yourself,they're the same thing, look it up) on yourself.

Orient: youself about who you are and what you want to do.

Do you still have something to give and can you do it without looking for the

political nightmare?

Observe: yourself and the Troops in your area - do they need/want your input?

Decide: on a course of action if/when your ready and if it is to go back to Scouting, Great, if not, Great you gave of your time in this venue, find another area and give there but remember to proud of the Scouts you helped!

Act: get back into the game, whether it's the grand game or another venue I'm sure you have qualites people need in organizations that interest you!

Good luck!

What a shame. I dread the day when our Troop faces a similar unit killing, adult drama story. Not to take anything away from the cub scout program but from an adult leadership position the Pack should have less drama than a troop. The CC and CM run a show once month and help set-up a calendar for the year. All the ranks are approved and completed at the den level. A tad over simplified I'll admit.

If you are getting the ranks and badges on time, holding a blue and gold every year and have den leaders for every rank you are doing your mission. And it sound like you are doing all these things and more. And I don't get the references to other pack By-laws. Who gives a hoot if they aren't yours. Use the CM Handbook not some hokey down loaded by-laws from a unit you have no association with.

Find a new pack and walk away from this accident. Nothing more to see here.

Yea its your boy's .... school, church group or neighborhood association but this is a sick pack and should be avoided.

Sunny Oklahoma Wednesday All

>>Not to take anything away from the cub scout program but from an adult leadership position the Pack should have less drama than a troop. The CC and CM run a show once month and help set-up a calendar for the year.

"The CC and CM run a show once month and help set-up a calendar for the year. All the ranks are approved and completed at the den level."

Perhaps it works like this with smaller Packs of 20-30 (although I tend to doubt it). But with very large Packs that is anything but the case. With huge Packs, leadership puts more into a quality Pack program that any troop at times. The members of the pack committee run training, coordinate awards, ensure that all dens are completing their ranks programs in time...they coordinate and run at least 4 pack campouts and a couple of camp-ins a year which are every bit as complicated as a district campout event when your dealing with a Pack of 150. Let's not forget coordinating that size for Scouting for Food, service projects, any fundraising, PWD, Raingutter, B&G, etc. Planning a quality Pack meeting that can hold the attention of that many boys. And don't forget that they have to be available on meeting nights for any problems/issues/questions. Then of course there are the times when leaders don't make a Den meeting and someone has to step in for the Den.

I am not complaining...I think our pack has one of the best and greatest programs in the area, something testified to by our numbers. But the CC, CM, and other committee members do far more than make a calendar and run a show once a month.

Please don't focus on my statement. It wasn't meant to be argumentative. It was a written way to express a shaking head in disbelief.

What the original poster wants to know is how can his boy and his family return to scouting after an experience as bad as this one.

The answer is I don't know.

Dear Friends,

There is so much more that goes on behind the lines that the average den leader or parent does not know about. Which I am sure you will all agree on. I understand and agree with all that is being said here. The bigger the pack the more work needs to go into it. But even when the pack is a smaller unit the same work needs to be done but just not on such a grand scale. These issues and circumstances that I have gone through have been test for me and my purpose in scouting.

The Cub program in my opinion is the most difficult program to run and the most important. I feel that the CM and the CC must set a program in place that is fun educational and must prepare the boys for the future and prepare them for the scouting program in the Boy Scouts that lies ahead of them.

Reflecting back on the issues that have taken place and all the things that one thinks about and reads into, and looking deep into myself and what I want to do I have come to a conclusion. I feel I still have things to offer to the program and want to help and contribute to the growth of the boys. I will be staying on as the ASM in my sons Troop.

It is a solid Troop and there are no ego trips and everyone knows their place. Also the fact that my son does not want me to leave the Troop is persuasive. He is 12 and enjoys the program and will be achieving the rank of Star this summer. I could not do anything that would hinder that. I would never be able to forgive myself.

Yours In Scouting

EKMiranda

Ekmiranda,

I too went thru something like this at the Cub Scout level several years ago. Granted, it was not nearly as UGLY as what you have recently had to go thru but the goal was the same.

Get me the HECK out of there after years of personal sacrifice, blood sweat and tears.

Being unappreciated for your efforts on behalf of not only your son but all those other scouts in unit whos parent's are too busy to help is one thing but it is really hard to take when they outright come after you thinking they can do it better.

My only advise to you is this, remember why you did what you did and who you did it for!! It will take some time before your bitterness of the last several weeks goes away, but it will.

The best medicine I found was to go back thru my stack of photos showing all the great times my scouts had and remembering that I DID make a difference in their lives. I can now look in the mirror and honestly tell myself that I gave 150% to those scouts and their families to give them the best program possible.

As I always say "Scouting is a great gig if you take the parents out of it".

Best wishes and keep your head up!!