Picky Eater / Mother's Apron Strings

Well said Mike.

Isn't it interesting how many of the problems aired in this forum are parental, not youth, problems? It seems to me that over half of the problems people bring up either originate with parents or are exacerbated by parents.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, by the way Little Dove, that sounds like a really cool alternative to the traditional BSA Summer Camp. Hats off to y'all for putting together a low cost, big fun trip. The boys will never forget going to "their" summer camp.

That is a great sounding summer camp idea. Reminds me of my brother and two neighbors when were younger. We lived in the country, the neighbors owned a farm. When the boys were around 12/13 years old, they would camp in the cow pasture. Seems like one summer they spent about a week there, coming home every now and then to get more pork-n-beans and bologna, leaving once a mom said the word "bath". One boy was the designated cook. They swore he cooked grits and eggs in the same pan at the same time. They all experienced that feeling of waking up thinking something is staring at you, seeing BIG eyes......and then hearing "mooo".

Thank you for your replies. At first I thought food allergies, but the first time the boys made their own menu and shopping list, she was right over there. Like they wanted Mac & Cheese, she said no, it has to be Kraft, not the one with the powder but the one with the cheese in the can (to give an example). We have told her and him that he eats what everybody else eats or he goes without. We have made it so that the boys do not have pay for anything but we do have to adhere to a very tight budget. Our last troop we were always digging in our pockets, even with over $2,000 in funds. Anyway, we will try some of the ideas that you have given. What do you tell them if they refuse to listen? As stated above it falls on deaf ears. At times I really wonder why she has him in scouts. He's a picky eater, he has allergies (sinus), he has migraines (all she says). No medicines, no doctor's notes. So he can't do this and don't make him do that, watch that he doesn't get too tired, he can't be in the sun for very long. She's at every meeting and campout to make sure her boy is not being made to do too much. Sorry, now I'm whining. It just gets hair pulling sometimes. Especially when the boy says "I'm gonna tell my mom" or "your mean" if you make him help with camp duties. All the other boys follow the patrol method and do all the things they are suppose to. They just roll their eyes at him for his antics. Yesterday at clean up time, he had a headache until swimming was mentioned, then he went and changed and sat. We then said that only the boys who did their share could go, "but I have a headache". We replied, boys with headaches won't swim either. Funny, headache disappeared and he did his share of duties. As for the summer camp, it has turned out rather well. The gentleman even had a real working blacksmith's shop and the boys all went for their metalwork MB. A local Sport shop / archery range invited us up and the boys all learned how to make everything for archery and got some archery shooting in. My son who refused to set foot in a pond to swim, tried it and liked it and would be the first one begging to go swimming and swam every single day. My poor husband and son are whipped, they spent 9 days on JLT staff, they came home, changed, repacked and left for summer camp. We will be having a summer camp reflection meeting after the 4th and many things will be dicussed and changed.

little dove

littledove,

If I told a Scout to do something & he said he was going to tell his mom, my repl would be "Go ahead & tell her, but first do -------". This usually works.

It sounds like this kid has mom wrapped around his little finger! I also would like to know where dad is?

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

Sounds like the stereotypical "challenge" scout. His allergies and migraines are probably caused by his eating habits as well has his behavior habits.

I think you are doing the right thing to stick by your guns about people with headaches can't swim. When the patrols are planning their menus, find this woman something else to do so she can't interfere. Keep telling her that you need a doctor's note to exempt him from any activities. After awhile they will give in or give up and leave.

Good luck.

I agree with Mike Long. Have the scout involved in the planning, isn't it a requirment up to 1st Class for menu planning and assisting in the prep, and safe handling of food. Anyway, How about asking the "McMom" (cool term) and "McScout" to help with the teaching of the newer scouts about the food pyramid and how to plan a menu. It may make them think. This might be a good time to have cooking as a theme for the month and let everyone try their hand at some troop feast on an outing.

The other thing about sodas. As a rule I don't like them because we always seem to decorate the area with the cans. I remember at Philmont, the treat it was to get rootbeer at a staffed camp. Pack it in and pack it out. If not, don't take it.

Last thing is maybe just once a backpacking trip where McMom couldn't deliver the meals without a lot of effort. Carrying a happy meal over miles of trails, she might just eat it herself.

You have to look at what is best for the entire group. One scout and mom should not cause this much chaos and disruption. I would lay down the rules for her - no extra foods, wat what is on the menu, do your share of the work. If he and she cannot live by these rules, I would say they cannot attend camping events. I know this may sound harsh, but you have to look at what is good for the entire troop. I am also surprised the other boys in the troop are not on his case.

Little Dove

I know these threads kind of serendip around, but I remember you saying you used a friend of the troops farm and lake. I was wondering if it was more work or less work, having camp at a non-scout facility? You said that money was the issue. Was it less costly having to do all the meals? How did the waterfront work out with Safe Swim Defence and Safety Afloat rules? We considered doing a troop summer camp once, but it was going to be too much work to cover all the guidelines set by BSA and still give the scouts the most bang for the buck. Our summer camp is only $115/scout/week.

Maybe you should look at your Charter Organization for help on Summer Camp ideas. My Co is a church that help pays upkeep on two different properties one in Nebraska that is a conference center and the other in Black Hills that is a rustic camp. We use both in our camping cycle and the boys enjoy it. Just a thought for more see the alternative to summer camp thread

Reply to ASM7. It was alot of work for me, since I was basically doing all of it myself. Where are the other parents? Busy, gone, not my job. Getting parents to help is like getting teeth from a chicken. But then I remember the boys. Both the SM & ASM took and passed, Safety Afloat, Safe Swim Defense & CPR, among other things. Our Summer Camp fees went up, $190.00 a boy for the week. We had 7 boys, 3 adults. I spent $150.00 for food for the week. That included 2 turkeys to deep fry and fixins for Parent's Night dinner. Didn't buy ice, froze milk jugs ahead of time and replaced what they took. Kits for merit badges, got ideas from the ones at Scout shop and bought from craft stores or clearence bins. The boys paid less than $4.00 ea for all of it. Just prearrannged the Archery Shop and Blacksmith ahead of time. Bought the MB books and printed what MB worksheets they needed ahead so they would be prepared. The SM and ASM's helped. There is more but I already am making this too long. Email me if you would like any more info on it. Thanks to everyone for their replies and help.

little dove

• 3 weeks later...