Webelos left behind

I really dont think this is a trustworthy kind of thing. National created the criteria to control the program at a national level. While these are pretty ridged guidelines, they are only ridged so the Councils perform their business uniformly. There are always acceptations and they know that. This is not a moral problem to contemplate Just a logistic problem that needs special attention.

Barry

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm puzzled that the one thing that seems to have been overlooked in all of these discussions is looking for alternative solutions. Speaking as an in-for-life Scouter and current Webelos Leader with another cub on the way up; if one of my scouts were in this position I would look for solutions that cover both the age and "left behind" issues. IMHO, my responsibility as the WL doesn't end until either (A) all of my scouts have crossed over -or- (B) all of my scouts have reached the end of their 5th grade year. I see getting each of my scouts successfully transitioned into a troop as one of the most direct measures of my success as a WL.

With that in said a few possibilities come to mind for this situation. They may or may not work depending upon the unknown details.

Does the W2 scout even WANT to cross over? If not, I'd work on finding out why not (the real reason, not just the pat answer he gives whenever asked). How? I'd find out ifhe's interested in at least finishing out the year with the pack.If so,I'd speak with the CM & Webelos 1 Leader to see if both the scout and I could join the W1 den for the remainder of the year. (Of course this assumes there is a W1 den in the pack). This extra timewould give me an opportuity to attempt toopen up the lines of communication with him and his parents. Worst Case Scenario: The scout finishes the year and quits for good. -however- The extra efffort means he leaves on a good note with positive memories.Years from now that may makethedifference between allowinghis own sontojoinCub Scouts or not.

Assuming the W2 scout does want to cross, is he the only W2 scout not crossing over? If so, as the WL I would get in touch with the troop leadership and discuss the possibility of holding the rest of my "den meetings" with the troop. The boy would participate with the troop as a W2 under my oversight. This wouldn't be much different than when the W2's visited the troop for the AoL requirements.

What if options 1 or 2 aren't feasible? I would look into the possibility of using the W2 scout as a pseudo den chief for one of the younger dens (with my direct oversight as his WLof course). This small taste of added responsibility may jump start his appetite for scouting, especially if he's just plain bored with the Cub program.

There are other possibilities of course but I've already taken up to much space. In short my goal would be to keep the boy involved in the program as long as possible, in whatever ways possible, in the hopes that we wont abandon scouting for good. I fully realize these optionswould all requiresome extra work on my part but hey, thats what cheerful service is all about! Hope this helps!

Carpe-PM

SR769 - When you're a Bear, everythings food!