what do you collect for pack dues?

and whats the frequency of colleection?

our pack currently collects $35/yr per scout at rechartering time or when they first join the pack- from that we pay BSA fee and boys life (which doesnt leave but $13 per scout) so we are looking to make a possible inflationary adjustment :)

our dens - if they collect dues - only do it as needed for some basic supplies.

As I recall when I was a Webelos Den Leader dues was $2 a meeting ... $1 went to the den the other $1 went to the pack ... packs cut was used for special pack functions, recharter, awards, pack meetings, etc ... dens cut was for any costs of den activities, crafts, events, etc

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org

Helping leaders one resource at a time....

New scouts that sign up are $45.00 (registation fee until charter, charter, Boys' Life, handbook & graduation necker & slide)

Re-registered boys we do early bird if you pay by end of July $35.00 & after $45.00. We do several fundraisers to pay for everything else - popcorn, comedy club in Feb. (Adults only!) & a car wash in the spring. Pay for awards; pack activities - cost for scouts for charter fishing trip, local minor league baseball game, etc.; Blue & Gold dinner & cost for Scouts dinners & graduation pack night. It all depends on what activities we do too!

Our pack charges a one-time fee at the beginning of the pack year of $60. We offer an early bird to current pack members of $50 from BG until the end of the Pack year. Out of this, we cover recharter, Boys Life, awards (patches, belt loops, pins, etc), some pack supplies, our scholarship fund (for boys in need of help with Scouting costs), and a few other small things. The Popcorn sale is the only fundraiser that we ask the boys to do during the year. Out of that 8% goes to the pack and 25% goes to each Scout's account to pay for Scouting activities. Events such as Camping, overnighters, PWD, regatta, etc. usually have a fee and/or some concession sales with out goal of having each event being self-funded.

A long time ago when I began as CM the dues were $26. Later I think they increased to about $40. They just barely covered expenses for the year when combined with popcorn, etc. I think the increase was due to lower popcorn sales...some parents said they'd rather just pay increased dues. I could hardly argue with their sentiments.

In my former Pack we charged $25.00 per year period. Boy's Life was extra. With this and Popcorn sales we sent every boy to resident camp that wanted to go and on richer years we also had two or more other Pack outings. One Year we went to a lock-in at the Seattle Science Center, had a sledding weekend family outing at a local lodge, plus payed for all awards and did not have to charge much for a B&G catered dinner.

Nothing. When a new family joins they pay the prorated membership and Boy's Life fees. After that, no one ever pays a fee to belong to our pack.

Now, don't go thinking we're rich or crazy. What *is* expected is that they participate in fundraising, and produce enough sales to create $115.00 in profit (about $350-$400 worth of product sales).

Families who don't choose to sell _can_ buy out at $10 a month, but almost no one misses the goal badly enough for us to lean on them for the cash.

In 18 years with the pack, only one year has our fundraising been poor enough that we had to ask for money at recharter - we have made or exceeded our fundraising goals every other year.

The pack my son decided to join charges dues of $5.00 per month. This is the first year they have charged dues. I'm not sure if they collect more for rechartering, but should find out soon. The other packs we were considering charged around $150-160 a year for Tigers, Wolves, and Bears and I think $200 something for Webelos. For the one we actually visited it did include basically everything except a uniform and camp and you could offset the fees with fundraising.

The Pack we used to belong to charged $45 a year at recharter. About half went to BSA and Boys Life. The remainder went into the general fund.

The Pack had a single fund raiser, popcorn. The Pack set goals for all boys to sell $350 which netted the Pack about $110-115 per boy. The Pack built its budget to spend $110-$115 per boy if he participated in all events. Like most, we had some really gung-ho salesman and some really lackluster salesman. The years I was in, we always had several boys sell $1000+. Last year the three top salesmen sold $3000, $1700, and $1500. As a Pack we sold $33,000 netting the Pack about $11,000. That was with 45 boys.

Of course not every boy attends all events or earns all the possible badges but that is offset by those who undersell and earn every possible award.

The Pack had a surplus of about $5000 which it used to invest in the Pack. It bought a new metal derby track with laser timer and software.

Hi,

No dues here either. We charge the registration fee and Boys Life if desired. Popcorn sales cover everything else. This includes things like their scout book, neckerchief, all awards, den materials, etc. Camping or ballgames or extra events may have an additional cost. No den dues either.

Our pack does not collect dues per se, but we do collect the annual BSA registration fee and Boys' Life fee if it's selected. However, if a Scout sells above a certain amount during our annual popcorn fundraiser, those fees are paid by the Pack. Most dens do collect dues for supplies used during meetings, typically $2/meeting unless there is an especially large project. The Pack pays for all awards, neckerchiefs for bridging ceremonies, etc. from Pack proceeds from the fundraiser. This all seems to work out okay except some parents seem to prefer just paying up front for all of the expenses rather than the $2/meeting dues.

Our pack charges $15 per year at recharter to cover cost of registration and insurance plus a couple of dollars for general expenses. New scouts pay $40 which goes to general funds for repairs and replacements for pack equipment (trailer,cooking equipment, derby track, etc.) Of course Boy's Life is optional and charged seperately. Dens determine their own dues but usually $1 per meeting so the boys learn to "pay their own way". We have not had a fundraiser but expect to do one this spring to cover the balance of general expenses.

OK, I'm a bit confused. Your Pack has never done a fundraiser, the only income it has is $40 for new Scouts and $2-3 for returning Scouts, and yet your Pack still manage to pay for expenses, awards, cooking equipment, and a trailer (not sure why a Pack needs a trailer or cooking equipment)??

Your Pack must have an extremely generous Charter Organization!

Our Pack does not charge Pack dues either. New boys pay their first year registration/Boys Life, our Charter Org pays all recharter expenses, and all other program expenses come from the annual popcorn sale.

Den dues are at the discression of the den leader, but are usually in the area of $20/yr.

Scoutnut, our Pack has recently begun using a trailer out of necesity. Over the past year, we have begun doing some to all of the meals at our campouts. Also due to the size of our Pack (140-150 boys) a trailer has become a near necesity for these events. We have simply rented one a couple of times with a poor experience. Fortunatly for us however our Troop is fundraising for a new, larger trailer and will be keeping their old for smaller, long-distance high adventure trips. They have offered to let us use their old one whenver we need it as long as the Troop doesn't have a need that weekend. LOL I digress....a lot. But my point was that some larger Packs may have greater equipment needs than some smaller ones. (Including a trailer)