Cub Scout Pack Guidlines

Hello All! I have just taken over our Pack and want to have some guidelines written out so people, including me, have some type of guidelines to follow so hopefully there are fewer problems with the Pack. Any Help?

Having some written guidelines is a very good idea. Our pack had an issue 2-3 years ago wherein the leaders made a decision that was right for the boy involved but took some flack for keeping it somewhat secret. (it had to do with a private family issue and should not have been made public anyway) After that, we decided it was necessary to have our guiding principles in writing so that we could refer people to them if there was a problem. While no parent has ever requested a copy, it's good to have on hand if anything comes up.

I'm now leading a team to write up troop guidelines as well. We're in teh final editing stages.

Our Pack is going on 60 years old and we have never found the need for written Pack guidelines. We simply follow the BSA program and common sense.

We do have some written guidelines for particular Pack events like the Popcorn sale, Pinewood Derby, & Camping Trips.

That's about it though. I can't think of any issue that has come up in the 13 years I have been with the Pack where a set of written Pack guidelines would have been of any real help.

If what you are looking for are job descriptions, check out the BSA National web site.

http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/about/thepack/index.html

There is a lot of information there that you will find useful. As a brand new Cubmaster, you should also sign up on the MyScouting section and take the online training. That, along with your council's training for Cubmaster Specific and New Leader Essentials, will help too.

Hi

I am not one of those adults that preaches "first get trained then.....". But I really think Wood Badge is exactly what you and your leaders need right now. The course guides the unit in finding your gaols and building the adults into a team to reach your goals. Most of the problems adults have in units are caused because they don't have visions or goals as a unit, so they don't work as a team.

Take the course and I think you will have a much better understanding for what you are supposed to do. If you still feel the need to make guidelines, I think they will be more focused. But because the course will get all your leaders in one frame of mind, I'm guessing you won't need to make additional guidelines.

Barry

I'm split on the idea of having guidelines...

Common sense should prevail, but parents more than the Scouts need to know how a unit functions, and parents new to Scouting need some spoon feeding. So that's where I see the guidelines being a benefit.

I'm currently revising our troop guidelines (feel free to PM me and we can trade notes and ideas), and I'm finding that the current ones tend to regurgitate a lot of stuff that's already contained in BSA publications, so that is all coming out in our next revision.

Same thing with by-laws... Seen far less often by parents, but as much as I hate having to have them, they do serve a purpose in that they help protect the committee from itself in times of strife. But again, keep them brief, and focus on the things that are truly related to unit governance, i.e. interactions between the troop and CO and how finances are handled.

GKarns,

It depends on what type of problems you're trying to prevent.

Personally, I find it very helpful logistically to have guidelines that talk about how you locally implement some of the national policies. Both our pack and troop have a parents handbook that answers some of these topics for parents.

Some of it does regurgitate various national documents, but we don't expect parents to necessarily read all of those items, so we've highlighted a few relevant topics from those documents. And there may very well be local policies that you've implemented. You can find some examples on the web. I'd advise you to stick to the basics until you have a little more experience.

Some basics might be things like: date and time of pack meetings and den meetings; who reports awards like belt loops and to whom do they get reported; what type of camping you do; what are the current volunteer positions.

I think a document like this can help provide a common vision for the leadership of the pack or troop, but you really need to think about what you're trying to accomplish with said document. Keep it upbeat and fun.

Dont know about guidelines, but it helps to keep a great big book of "what works at pack ###".

Over the years, a pack will develop a wealth of knowledge - but too much of it exists only in various peoples' heads.

Tis a good idea to keep track of things like: approximately how much money you spend per scout (which helps determine your popcorn goals), good places for Webelos to camp, how to put on a good Blue & Gold, etc..

Its good to have new ideas continuously, but not re-inventing the wheel really helps - especially if you've got something down pat.

NC