An interesting situation

I grew up in scouting, from Cubs up through Eagle, and spent 2 years as ASM. I loved the program and credit it strongly with it making me the man I am today.

I've been wanting to get back involved, and have been looking forward to the day my son was old enough to join. He finally got there, and has joined a pack as a Tiger cub. He's also having a blast.

The pack we joined was reccomended by the parents of my son's best friend, and it was an excellent choice. It's a very well-run pack, with an awesome cub master and assistants, and the den leaders are very organized.

Here's the dilemma that I've encountered: I've asked if there's a position for me to volunteer for, but they apparently have all of the leaders/volunteers they need. I'm kind of bummed because I really want to be an integral part of the pack and help kids along as I myself was helped. Ideally, I'd like to be a registered adult leader, but at the moment, they don't have room for any. Based on my history with scouting, I was rather surprised, and after reading forums on here, I imagine that it's a rarity still among packs.

What I'm doing so far is just helping out in whatever ways I can find.

So, after reading several threads on here about the trouble some packs have in finding adult volunteers/leaders, I thought I'd post a message that there are cases out there where the opposite is true - a parent wants to volunteer to be a leader, but there's nothing availible!

;)

Ask to serve on the Pack Committee and willingly volunteer for upcoming events or outings. Even if they think they don't need help, offer yourself to the Committee for something that no one likes to do. Also, attend every outing and campout that the Pack is involved in.

Your help will be noticed.

Find the name of the pinewood chairman and give him a call. Those guys are always cool, have lots of fun, and let anybody help. That is the best starting-out job and once your started anywhere, you're in.

Glad to have ya in this Scouting Stuff.

Barry

Yah, Shilue, congrats on findin' a fun and well-run pack.

Well-run packs and troops usually won't take a "person off the street" directly into a leadership position, eh? That's smart. Get to know people, see how they fit in, figure out what their talents are and where they might best contribute. Makes for a strong program.

Be patient. Be a Tiger dad, that's work enough. As they get to know yeh over time, yeh may find other opportunities open up. :)

Beavah

Tiger Dad...your time will definitely come when you too can happily proclaim, "...its just one hour a week." Just showing up at everything as a helping hand will be recognized and it won't be too long before you are leading pack efforts. Pack leadership does change over rather quickly, so don't be surprised if you are leading the pinewood derby next year, provided you gain some experience this year (like showing up to help build the track, manning the scoring table, check-in, etc.) Even if they think they 'have it all covered' a reliable, enthusiastic helping hand will be found work to do. Be thankful you have found a great pack and be patient in assuming a significant volunteer role.

Welcome and congratulations on finding a Pack with that much volunteer Scout Spirit!

Talk to your Committee Chair about registering as a generic Committee Member.

Registered or not, you can still take the training. You can take Youth Protection and Fast Start, along with others, online at MyScouting on the BSA National website -

http://www.scouting.org/nav/enter.jsp?s=ms

Then check your Council's training calendar on their website and sign up for New Leader Essentials and Cub Leader Specific (Committee).

Does your Pack do any camping? You could take BALOO training thru your council. You can never have to many BALOO trained folks because without one the Pack can not camp. My Pack currently has 4 BALOO trained adults and I would like to get more trained.

Tigers, with it's Shared Leadership, is a great place to get your feet wet and show what you, and your son, can do. Sign up to lead Tiger meetings and Go-See-It's, offer to help out the Tiger den leader in any and all ways. Does your den have an Assistant Leader? Perhaps you could move into that slot for their Wolf year.

Stay involved and have fun with your son!

What most everyone has said.

Also, concentrate on 1/1 leadership with TigerSon. The day will come when he will zoom off, far away from you, and be wanting increasing independence.

Give him roots... then allow him to take wing.

You'll have all your life to serve Scouting. You only have another decade to mold your son. It'll go by way too fast. Trust me!

Wow, I just about fell off my chair reading that a pack would turn down a willing volunteer. We'd throw a banquet in your honor if you showed up at our pack.

If you stick around, a vacancy will turn up before long. If the pack is as successful as you say, it may experience some growth, and the den may become too big, and they may want to split the den up. It's not uncommon to recruit some new Wolves, so next year your Tiger den of 10 (or whatever) may be a Wolf den of 18 and be ripe for splitting, and in need of a new den leader.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Beavah made a good point about not just accepting someone from the street, which hadn't occurred to me.

Right now, I'm doing what I can to help out on campouts and Tiger activities. We did have a GoSeeIt coming up that I volunteered to take care of making the arrangements, and that's worked well so far.

I'm really happy that I'm involved in Scouting again in some way, and I'm most happy that my son is having fun in Tiger Cubs, and keeps asking when the next den meeting is.

• 2 weeks later...

If you really want to help, Come out to NC and try our pack. We are having the problem that we have two leaders. CM and ACM. I am the ACM and also the Tiger Den LEader. The CM is the Webelos Leader. So you can guess what job I will have next year.

I have got a lot on my plate. And bigger ones to come. But that is the way of scouting. I sounds like I am in for a lot of fun.

Shilue,

Youa re doing all the correct thigns to keep involved. JohnKC said it best I think:

>You'll have all your life to serve Scouting. You only have >another decade to mold your son. It'll go by way too fast. >Trust me!

Being a new Tiger Leader I can tell ya how proud I am of my Tiger son and the energy he is putting into Socuting. Reminds me of his Dad.

Keep volunteering and you'll get the leadership tasks you want

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, what they said  ^     Stick with it, something will come up.

Three years ago, my step-son changed Cub Packs for his Webelos II year. At that time his new pack had all the leaders they needed. I kinda wanted to get involved but wasn't exactly sure what I could do.

Fast-forward one year... The troop he crossed into was a little low on adult leaders and the Scoutmaster needed a #2 for the Fall Camporee. Guess who got the phone call. Next thing I know, I'm registering as an ASM and TDL for my step-sons former pack (the troop's feeder) that needed another leader at that point. Went to a couple training sessions and found out that I really did like what I was doing.

After 2 more years and several more training sessions (read: every training that has been offered) and attending Wood Badge (quite an experience) I find myself still an ASM and a TDL (for my grandson now), in addition to Assistant CubMaster, District Training Chairman and Cub Scout Roundtable Staff. I'm also planning our District Winter Camporee.

This may not be what you envision for your involvement (neither did I), but my advice is to stay involved. Participate in everything that you can. Like others have said, contact the District and volunteer at that level if it means that much.   Someone will surely (not Shirley) be able to use your skills.

If you still find yourself unwanted, come to SW Pennsylvania... We'll give you a hat to wear (assuming you have a pulse :p).  Right Eamonn?