Wolves on a 5 mile urban hike?

There are however birds, sticks, bugs, garbage, trees, leaves, cars, stores, people, clouds, boats, fish, weeds, street signs, etc, etc.

If they were simply walking along non-stop at a semi-quick pace then 2 mph should be easy, breezy. Second grade boys do not hike that way, and IMO, you don't really want them to. You want them to explore the world around them and to have fun!

• 4 weeks later...

My den walked this hike yesterday. We had great weather in the Cincinnati area, 51 deg F and sunny. Only 2 of my boys (Webelos II) showed up plus a Webelos I younger brother and my assistant den leader and myself. We had a great time stopping to look at and read the historical markers, going past Dan Beard's childhood home, talking with a couple of fisherman on the bank of the Ohio river, crossing the Licking river, checking out sculptures of historical figures along the Covington riverwalk. It was a good time and we crossed the Ohio river on the Roebling Suspension bridge, walked past the Great American ball park and along the serpentine wall into Sawyer Point and the Bicentennial Commons. We crossed back on the Purple People Bridge. We managed to see all the places needed for the questions , but I did cut out maybe a mile due to my knees. I wasn't up to the last bit. The boys did get a lot out of it and we spent about 3.5 hours on our hike (including a stop for a nosebag lunch) and had pizza at Newport on the Levee after.

So, AnaMarie, yes I think your scouts can do this and will enjoy it greatly. It is easy to cut out the longer loop on the Ohio side and shorten it if needed. This does cut out a nice playground. There are restrooms along the Serpentine wall section and also the concession stands should be open in the spring or summer.

For the rest of the forum, is is okay to get the patches for my boys, if we shortened the hike due to the leader's knees?

sassafras,

Sounds like your cubs had a wonderful time on the Dan Beard trail yesterday, and you couldn't have picked a more beautiful day for a hike!

If they were experienced hikers, I would expect the scouts to finish the entire hike before awarding the patch, but, in my opinion, it sounds like everyone did their best, so these cubs and their leaders deserve the patch to commemorate their first "high adventure" activity. Very cool indeed :cool:.