Smoking Leaders

Hello Everyone,

I am the Committee Chairperson for our pack, at least that is my first job, but I have a question. Our Cubmaster and one other Den Leader smoke in front of the boys. Smoking is a personal decision, but I believe when it comes to being the examples for our scouts, as leaders you have an obligation to refrain from smoking anywhere the boys might see you (school, campouts, meetings,etc). This not something they do on a regular basis, but I don't think it should happen period. What are you're thoughts on this subject and any suggests on how to handle this would be appreciated.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had this problem in cubs.

Strictly speaking, I dont think smoking is alowed at ANY Cubscout/ Boy scout functions.

We simply pointed this out to the smoking parents,and asked them to move out of site of the scouts nicley and we never had a problem. If fact, after the first time, the smoking parents were more of the "policy police" than the nonsmoking parents and I think that people were less likely to take offence when it came from a fellow smoker.

The key is to remined/point out the policy to peolpe one on one rather than accuse and confront them as a group, and to put in the form of BSA policy not personal feeling and dislikes

Ooh, ooh! I get to beat da moderators to a book quote! :)

"Adult leaders should support the attitude that young adults are better off without tobacco and may not allow the use of tobacco products at any BSA activity involving youth participants". (G2SS, bold from the original text).

I think jhubb has the right of it. Get a fellow smoker to do a one-on-one, friendly explanation of da policy.

If that doesn't work, quietly arm da boys with squirtguns and super soakers. ;)

Beavah

This was addressed last spring in a meeting addressing an upcoming campout, by last years cubmaster in front of both offending new cubmaster and leader. Our cubmaster should be the one upholding these policies by example. I'm pretty sure he has enough common sense to know these things.

As SM my only stipulation in taking the job was that no one smoked in front of the boys including myself. If you have to do it take it some where else. I would leave the cigarettes home when we went on campouts and two weeks for summer camp. My second year the PLC made a big deal of giving me a special present before we left for camp a carton of cigarettes with a card signed by all saying "We like you better when you smoke" Seems I wasn't a good SM in withdrawal. I quit completely right then and haven't smoked since.

Cub Scouts is mainly an indoor thing. Smoking in a closed room with non smokers particularly children, in light of modern findings, is definitely NOT setting a good example.

LH

Try to get your Cubmaster and Den Leader to volunteer to head up the backpacking Merit Badge program for your Scout Troop culminating in a 50-100+ mile high adventure trek to Philmont Scout Ranch. That should take care of it.

This worked for me. I smoked Pall Malls for about 40 years, which I'm sure contributed to my need for quadruple bypass surgery eight months prior to our Philmont trek last summer. Tell them: "if it doesn't kill them, it will make them stronger." Plus, overcoming the habit and finishing the Philmont trek will inspire the heck out of their Scouts and fellow Scouters ;).

Some adults just don't get it. My son came home from a recent campout and said that Mr. "Billy Bob" smoked a whole pack of cigarrettes during the campout - in front of scouts.

He had been reminded on the previous campout but must have forgotten, since it was just a month or so before.

I smoke!

I smoke on campouts!

I have NEVER smoked in front of any of the youth at a Troop function! (This means I have had to take some REALLY long walks/drives sometimes.)

It's a terrible habit and sets a really bad example for all youth.

I'll quit (again) someday. In the meantime I'm still puffing away - FAR AWAY from the boys...

Scoutmom157 - You said this issue has already been addressed. It sounds to me like it needs to be addressed again. You also said these guys have common sense. They might, but it obviously does not extend to smoking.

A reminder of BSA's policy on tobacco use at your next Pack Leaders meeting is warranted. Let them know that anyone smoking around the Scouts will be asked to put it out immediately.

Unless you are Bill Clinton who apparently never inhaled from that joint nor had sexual relations with "that" woman, I KNOW I am WRONG -

DEAD WRONG FOR SMOKING. I shouldn't do it, I know this, I admitted it in my post by saying it is a terrible habit and expressing how I would like to quit again.

I don't appreciate you calling me names for it ustbeeowl. Very Scout-like, your comment! NOT!

I guess that he should have called you the inhaler.

How else do you use the smoking tobacco products?

I have heard that comment before, and it usually gets the point across, without anyone taking offense by it. It usually brings a smile to all those that have heard it.

Joni4TA + PeteM,

I'm sorry that my comments have offended you and anyone else on this board, but it makes me so mad I could spit nails when I see people throwing their lives away by smoking.

Yes, Joni4TA, I know that you said that you know that it is a bad habit, and that you wish that you could stop, but I have known too many friends and relatives that have died, wishing that they could have stopped for good. Well, they have stopped for good, leaving their families to pick up the pieces of their lives and to go on. The families encouraged them to quit, much like yours have as well, but they died trying. Have you ever seen a friend or a parent on a heart-lung machine, because their lungs are gone from cancer? I have, and it's not a pretty site. Your Scouts know that you smoke, and wish that they could make you stop, but they can't. Only you can do that. I'm sure that they don't want to hold a memorial service for you, stating how wonderful a person and leader that you used top be, but you couldn't stop smoking.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE quit, if not for your sake, but for theirs and your family's sake.

I edited it as to not to offend anyone else.

like I said, I'm so mad at smokers and their habit ...(This message has been edited by ustbeeowl)

ustbeeowl:

I'm glad you posted that quip. My Webelos boys are working on the Fitness badge right now. I think they'll enjoy that as a joke at the next meeting.

I dunno, but I read your post as a funny item addressed to a generic "you", not an insult to a specific person.

I think the BSA policy of expecting smokers to "take it around the corner", rather than banning it outright, is a reasonable compromise that allows us to benefit from those folks' contributions. None of us is (are?) perfect.