Day Camp 2008 Knights of The Roundtable

We are starting the planning for Day camp 2008. The theme is Knights of the Roundtable. If anybody has ideas or links Please post. Also if your pack goes to day camps and anybody has time to help plan PLEASE get ahold of your council. I helped run Day camp 2007 and its alot of work But with help from more parents it would make our job much easier. Any Questions Please ask. Michelle

Yes they must be different. 2007 for us was Bugs and Science and this year is Knights. Maybe Ill get lucky and somebody who had that theme last year can give us some ideas that worked for them. Thanks for your reply. Michelle

Pack31, back in the stone age, I ran both Day Camp and Cub Resident Camp with the Knights of the Roundtable theme. I'll look at home to see if I still have any of the outlines, program plans, crafts and activities. Hopefully, I'll find them and can send to you. I do remember that was a really fun theme! Yep, still have my "Queenie" costume, too.

• 2 weeks later...

We did a Medeivel theme for resident camp a couple of years ago, and made pvc pipe bow & arrows as a craft. The boys really loved it, and they got to use them to shoot at our castle. The dark knight kidnapped the queen (me) of the camp and held her hostage. As our battle came to an end, the dark knight released his hostage, and agreed to become a Scout. We then had the boys lead him in the Cub Scout Promise. It was a great camp!

ccjj

Silly English ka-nighits!! DH has staffed any number of the Cub Scout side of camporees. My favorite activity that he put together was a couple of stiff cardboard castles, he contacted Gateway for soft plastic cows, and asked each pack to build a small (no more than 18" high, nothing stronger than a 1/4" rubber band, I believe) catapult. I believe there are even diagrams for them. He handed out a cow to each pack at Roundtable with which to practice.

THAT one was a lot of fun.

Vicki

• 3 weeks later...

I think that each REGION sets a Day Camp Theme, but it is ultimately up to the Council. NE region is doing Knights this year, but we did that 3 years ago, so our council decided to do something different.

Medieval Times will come out and do a presentation for the boys. I don't know how much they charge or if that is in your budget, but the boys would love it. I was told by our local one that they don't usually bring the horses, but they will come in costume and do a show.

• 1 month later...

Here are some Ideas that you may want to look towards doing

Have a catalpuilt built prior to and allow the boys to try launching small items. (Soft Balls, Baseballs, Tennisballs)(this is something that maybe a Webelos can work on for their requirements)

Maybe have someone with a horse ride around if it allowed (check the Regs) Archery, remember to get council instructors.

Fun-Noodle Jousting - Have them try to knock down a target on the first pass. (the FUNOODLES that you get for the water) Make Cardboard shields with a coat of arms on it.

Some other Games, Balloon pop with darts, Clay Pigeon break, (throw golf balls at them)(put up a tarp to catch the balls and the broken pieces), Bean bag toss (draw a castle on the target).

I would second the sca suggestion. My tiger cub is already looking forward to the demonstration they do in our area each year in September. He enjoyed watching the knights battle and there were a number of opportunities to talk about character connections. He also enjoyed trying his hand at calligraphy and creating his own coat of arms.

Don't forget the parents...

Inspire yourselves with watching "Monty Python and the Holy Grail"

Skits and silly songs and running jokes...

Killer rabbits and Tim the Enchanter can be your friends...

Dumdededumdumdum... We're knights of the round table, we dance when 'er we're able and imitate Clark Gable....