New Den Leader

Hi, I had no scouting background, but I've taught kids at church for years at Good News Club, VBS, etc. so I do have experience working with children. I've done all the available online training, and attended Cub Scout Specific last month. I'll attend Health & Safety next month.

Our den has 12 wolves - we recently acquired 3 new boys because another local pack folded. We decided not to split the den at this time for various reasons. I have an excellent Assistant Den Leader who works closely with me to plan, and I have a den chief, too.

My son is in the den. I basically knew nothing about scouting when I was the parent of a Tiger. I felt like I had no idea what was going on and like we were just thrown into it. So, when the need arose for a den leader for the wolves, I stepped up and said I'd do it, as long as someone would be a reliable assistant. Our pack has about 30 boys. We're in a small town outside Harrisburg, PA.

I think we've done well so far with the program and with communicating to the parents. Since I felt clueless last year and I didn't like that feeling, I try hard to let parents know what's going on.

That's about it for now....

It is good that you have a Den Chief. Don't just use him as a baby sitter. Involve him in the planning and excution of the plan. This is supposed to be time for him to learn to lead as well.

Also, with a den that big, try to recruit another assistant DL if you can. If not, really make that Den Chief earn his pay. :-)