Neckerchief Slide ideas

One of the best ones we did a few years ago was the leather slide kit available at the Scout Shop. It is basically just a square of leather with a leather lacing. You roll it into a tube and lace the tube closed and voila, a simple, effective (stays on well) slide.

Even better, if you have access to some leather working tools (our local scout shop would loan them out to units with a deposit) the boys can put their initials, rank logo, or native designs on the slide.

Easy slides are created by cutting 2" long pieces of 3/4" PVC pipe and then having the boys decorate themselves. A bag of craft feathers and assorted beads for American Indian, rocks or plastic dino's for geology inexpensive matchbook size cars for pinewood derby. Have the boys do the design and an adult or den chief manning the hot glue gun.

As a Den leader, I bought the Patrol Neckerchief slide, 8-pack mentioned above for about $8-$9 (Item: 17489) I purchased the small Block Alphabet and Numeral Set(Item: 1725)for about $22 and the Bear and Wolf emblem stamps from the scout shop for about $4 each. I already had some mallets.

http://www.scoutstuff.org/bsasupply/ Go to crafts, and the leather. Scroll down for items.

Had a patrol meeting and the boys stamped the rank emblem in the center of the leather slide. They stamped PACK across the top arching over the rank emblem and the pack number under the bottom of the rank emblem. Down one side I had them stamp their name. Down the other side I had them stamp the year 2007-08. Each boy made a personalized slide that was dated so they have a remembence later in life.

The scout store also sells the Small Leather Tool Set, Indian Lore(Item: 17931) It has 4 leather stamps with Indian style symbols. Cost about $7.50

Tandy leather sells a Native American Symbol Stamp Set for about $28. Tandy describes the set as "Forty-three different symbols and a handle are included in this boxed set. Each set includes a list identifying the name and meaning of each symbol. Ideal for projects of all kinds."

Native American Symbol Stamp Set 8160-00

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/products.asp?Dept=425

The Tandy set contains very similar but slightly different versions of the 4 in the Scout set. Either indian lore stamp set, 4 or 43 stamps, would allow the boys to add some Indian flavor to the slides.

Maybe the Pack could pay for the stamps and keep them as Pack supplies to reused. All of the Cub Scout ranks from Bobcat up through Webelos and AOL are available as stamps for about $4 each.

Even the youngest Tigers can beat a metal stamp with a mallet and make something. I had boys who made them as Wolves still wear them as Webelos.

Just a thought

Find out which parent(s) in your pack have scrapbooking skills. These people have more craft supplies than the stores cary and the tools and knowhow to put things together (my wife is one of these. And no, she isn't available). Going with the ideas already posted, a good scrapbooker can go to town with these. Scrapbookers are excellent resource.

For Native American themes - any craft store will have beads and feathers available. Again, your scrapbooking parents will know where to go, what to buy, and how to put them together.

I have very little arts and craft skills. As a Cubmaster I found that tapping into the craft skills of our parents not only provided really great projects like neckerchief slides, but also brought the parents into the pack and helped get them involved.

Eagle Pete

At our Cub Scout Leader Pow Wow last year, we made quivers of arrows. Just a small square of leather or suede folded in half and glued, with three of the long toothpicks with the colored cellophane (like are used on deli sandwiches) sticking out for the arrows. Glue a ring of PVC to the back and there you go!

I am thinking of doing these in my Wolf den this year....

FYI- talking about the quiver of arrows idea- vinyl would probably be cheaper than leather. I purchased 1 yard of vinyl last year for about $5 and we have made 6 pocketknife holders that are worn on a belt, and 6 medicine pouches, not to mention 5 'animal hide' looking things for the boys to attach their fun patches to. Still quite a bit left over.

Carol

I found this at makingfriends.com The have a link for scout crafts. I just checked, but I no longer see this one that I have done in the past, and will do again this month. Go to you local scout shop and buy the colored arrowheads. $6.99 for 12 ea. Take a pipe cleaner and make a circle by wrapping the pipe cleaner about 3 revolutions. Hot glue it to the arrowhead. Take a leater thong or twine, about 8" long. Tie a larkshead knot through the hole in the arrowhead. You may have to enlarge the hole. String on about 6 pony beads of the boys choosing on each strand, and tie off the thong.

Brian

hello, here is what my wife and i did. she found a barrette that looked like a minature dream catcher.she wore it like a slide . it didnt look at all like its original purpose. for me i went to our local dollar store. i got a dream catcher that had a small ram scull in the middle . i popped off the skull and made it the center piece. took the feathers and hung them off the horns . then i unwrapped the hoop for the fake leather and made the part that goes around my neck . kind of like a bolo tie .

we wore them to our round table and got compliments on them .the are cheap and unique.

Michael's Crafts has wood canoe and paddle shapes. The boys can decorate/color them with markers and a slide ring can be hot glued onto the back.

You can also use foam cut into different shapes and, using vinyl or leather lacing, or even yarn, along with beads & markers, make tepees, canoes, paddles, campfires, Indian headdresses, Indian clothing, etc.

Use a small craft stick and make a talking stick or story stick.

2nd and 3rd grade might be a bit young to expect them to do research on their own and to come up with slide ideas. A few might jump at the chance, most would simply not do it, or would have their parents do it for them.

What would be a better idea is to have the Den Leader put together a variety of ideas and then have the boys vote on their favorites.

"it would be a better idea is to have the Den Leader put together a variety of ideas and then have the boy vote on their favorites. "

i agree with this. i meant if the slide was something that interested them - and was more personal to them - they might like it much more. we still have scouts wear their one they made for last years PWD this year.

my son took a giant sharks tooth and uses that one - it gets lots of stares from new scouts and parents alike..

1/2" PVC pipe cut into 1/2" - 3/4" length. Use hotglue gun and mount a computer chip (got them from used electronic parts store). Adorn with googlie eyes and a trash bag tie. What the boys would have is a computer bug neckerchief slide. My wolves loved them.