Need advice on dealing with new troop.

My observation is that the new scout patrol method really works. My son has been a member of one for less than four months and has earned tenderfoot, along with 6/9 boys in his patrol, and they're on their way to 2nd class.

Now, to your situation. Committees often get stuck in a rut because - IMHO - they don't want to deal with anything new. If yours is stuck in that rut, then I see three choices for you.

1) Accept the situation as is and slowly work for change over time. Reasonable, but will change happen? And will it happen in time to benefit your boys?

2) If you and most of the other parents agree that a new scout patrol is the way to go for your boys right now, then do your own thing this summer (with two deep leadership). Have patrol meetings to work on advancement, have some fun outings as a patrol, go to summer camp as a patrol (there are many that have dining halls and provide sleeping quarters, so equipment isn't an issue), etc. Meanwhile, search out a new troop to join later this summer (before school starts!), one that likes the new scout patrol method.

3) Same as 2, but end with starting your own troop.

Good luck.

Thanks for your input. Seems like the new scout patrol idea should work. My wife and I agree with your assessment but she will go find a divorce lawyer if I start a new troop so I guess that option is out. I dont know that I can accept the current troop as is and I am not sure how much change can reasonably be expected to occur.

John