I have just complted my cubmaster training and i am going to be taking over my sons pack due to the cubmaster that there is now is leaving us. Well she does not really run things the way that the books say to do things. most of the stuff is done all as a pack. we have been meeting 2 times a month. we have a very small pack i think there is maybe 16 or 17 something like that. i was wondering how to go about getting things back in order. I have the leader book, the how to book and the program helps what else do i need. and i am also wondering what i need to wear as far as uniform. none of the scouts where there uniform to the meetings should they? Do they need to have the pants or just the shrits. I am very clueless. we only have 2 leaders in this group that have been trained. PLEASE HELP ME

First off, THANK YOU! Thanks for taking time to care about your son's scouting program and volunteering.

I am sure you'll get lot's of advice here on the forums (btw, welcome). We love to give advice. Some of it is even good.

In no particular order, call your council and find out who is your Unit Comissioner (UC). This person has volunteered to help your unit on behalf of the district and council. Also find our who is your Chartered Organization Representative and meet with them.

Sounds like you need to get a membership roster and divide up by age/grade into dens. You need to recruit some parents as Den Leaders and they need to start having weekly den meetings.

Is there a reason why no one wears uniforms (other than lack of tradition?) If not, then set the example and wear full uniform. All the time. Tell the pack we'll start wearing uniforms and set a date for your first uniform "contest" (not inspection) Make it fun.

Follow the program helps until you feel ready to ad lib. They really help!

Good luck! and remember to HAVE FUN!

Hi newcubmaster07,

I'm new to this too myself, having recently ended up as Cubmaster, but my pack is in much worse shape than yours. I'm sure you will get better advice from the experts, but here's my take.

The Cub Scout Leader Book is an excellent resource, I read it and then went to basic leader training, which, except for youth protection, was mostly a repeat of what was in the book.

I'd be cautious about trying to increase the frequency of meetings, my small struggling pack and the large successful pack nearby both have one pack meeting, one den meeting and one or maybe two outings per month. The parents really don't want more meetings, the kids are in too many other activities.

Most of the packs around here encourage wearing the shirts and neckerchiefs. The boys often want the caps too. Virtually none of the cubs buys the official pants, they outgrow them too fast, and the rest of the uniform is a big enough expense. I wouldn't obsess about the uniforms, but others will disagree.

Your biggest problem sounds like it is the same as mine, being a lack of den leaders. I don't have any magic answers, but read the old posts in this forum and you'll find lots of ideas.

Good Luck.

Welcome to both NCM07 and DZ! :) (I know I'm a little late on the welcome DenZero).

As Trevorum said, thank you for volunteering. I promise it will be fun and rewarding. It may well be work for you, but the kids will get KISMIF (keep it simple, make it fun).

Scouting is not BabySitters of America, and even more so at the Cubbing level. Parents need to be active participants. Tigers in particular require 1/1 ratio!

Based on what you've given us...

1) You may have consolidated dens (Tiger/Wolf, Bear, and Web 1/2... or any number of combinations), but you need to split the kids by age. I don't know your age mix, so I can't help you do that division.

2) You need helpers. That means recruiting Den Leaders and getting them to training. That's one place your UC can help, if you need an out-of-cycle Cub Leader specifics training (along with BSA New Leader Essentials and Youth Protection), he can help obtain it.

3) Ask the area Troops for reach-back support by furnishing Boy Scouts who will serve as Den Chiefs. A good Den Chief can really stretch the time and abilities of a Den Leader :)

4) Attend Rountable, read Scouting Magazine, look at the National Program. Cubbing, if you use the National program, almost presents itself.

I'll have more to write later, but I have things to do with EagleSon. God Bless and Welcome!!! :)

Here is what I have to offer with from my 22 plus years in Scouting ...

1) Ask lots of specific questions... the more specific and the more detailed the better the answers you will get back will be

2) Many joke about being over trained, in reality I do not believe it is possible to be over trained .. however it is possible to put to much focus on training and the "idealistic" way something should be rather then just making things happen

3) Take it one step at a time, find lots of people who will help and spread the load .. no one can do it all ... after all you were told its just "one hour a week" right ... what they didn't say its at least one hour per scout

4) Look at all the wonderful Scouting resources out their online (such as InsaneScouter.org - sorry shameful plug) and in the real world

5) Find ways to make common tasks easier... such as using software to track advancement and other administrative tasks

6) This is critical... Keep It Simple and Make it Fun .... if the kids are not having fun they will not keep coming back ... if its not simple you and your help will burn out ... we are here to offer scouting to any boy who is willing to benefit from what it has to offer...

7) Just be yourself, and don't forget its about the boys.... and eventually years later moving them into Boy Scouts (will at least some of them, but you should try and get them all to cross the bridge)

Just my wacky 2 cents ... hope they help ...

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org

Helping leaders on resource at a time....

Delegate.

In other words don't try to do everything yourself. There should be an advancement person let him worry about badges and cards and loops and record keeping.

Let the chair worry about fund raising.

Let someone worry about activities.