Recommendations for a blanket to use for patches?

I have searched the forums and did not see any prior postings...

My son is a Cub Scout. Instead of putting his temporary patches on a patch vest, I would like to put them on a blanket (that he won't grow out of and can also use in Boy Scouts). I saw a posting on one website to make sure it is flame retardant, but no recommendations on materials or where to get one. The blankets that I found in the BSA catalog all have designs on them. As a boy some people used wool Army surplus blankets. I used the "skin" which was hard to work with and did not hold many patches. Mine are now in pH balanced photo albums with my other memoriabilia, but they are hard to take to camp!

Any recommendations on the best material to use (looks, safety, durability) for a patch blanket? Any recommendations on where to locate a blanket to use?

I bought a nice camp size fleece blanket at Wal Mart a few months back. I think it would do well for sewing patches on it. Was less than $10.00.

Would have to check the package about flame retardant. The fleece blankets are very popular and affordable now days.

If you dont mind spending the money, the best wool blankets that would hold up at camp are the old Hudson Bay blankets, (5 point blankets). You can probly find more information about these in the discussion from a couple months ago about capotes, as they are the traditional material for making a capote. You can find them usually at traders such as www.crazycrow.com