Shouldn't Tigers get Arrow Points?

Last year BSA changed the Tiger advancement scheme and are now required to Bobcat first, just like a new Wolf or Bear. Tigers are not supposed to work on electives until after the complete their rank, just like Wolves and Bears.

Q: Shouldn't Tigers get Arrow Points for electives, just like Wolves and Bears?

What do you think? I would like to officially run this up the Council and National flag poles, but would like some input in case I am missing something.

Thanks!

Blaine

Best reason I can think of NOT to go that route is, we're running out of room on the shirt! Especially on the littler guys, who don't have all that much chest space to work with. Tiger, Wolf and Bear arrow points all together might not fit on those guys.

But, I get your point that they should be somehow tied in to the existing recognition program for cub scouts.

Blaine,

Having just finished as a Tiger Den Leader, I would say no. The Tigers have their Immediate Recognition emblem that he wears from his shirt pocket. Don''t forget that they can earn "beads" that are attached to that, not only for the requrements of earning their Tiger Badge, but the yellow elective beads.

I had two boys that completed every single elective, and can easily earn do the same this year in Wolves. They would have arrows points covering their shirt by the time they reach Webelos, if this was the case! :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I fully agree with you. Nothing ticks me off more, than seeing all the separate pens, flashlights, sweatshirts etc. that are orange. They are Cub Scouts, working on Tiger rank, not Tiger Scouts working to be Cub Scouts! Not to mention how I can NOT stand those beads! As a pack we finally got rid of buying the instant recognition kits and just get them segments instead (the boys like competing with each other to get more segments on their vests). My personal opinion is that at least the segment has a visual reminder of what they did to get it anyways! Sorry for my little rant, but I think the arrow points for Tigers is a great idea.

The original poster stated that Tigers are not supposed to work on electives until after completing their rank. They can work on electives at any time. They just can''t receive the yellow beads until after earning their rank. This is just like the Wolf and Bear ranks. All Cub Scouts can work on their electives at any time. They just can''t receive the yellow beads or arrow points until after earning their respective ranks.

Sometimes, based on what is happening in the area, the electives are fun things to work on in the den, even before rank is earned.

ccjj

I will simply say that back in the day (1964-67), Mom and Dad refused me permission to work on electives until I had the basic rank in hand.

Do the work, then have the fun.

Remember that until Webelos, Mom and Dad are the ultimate Akela.