New Cub Scout Placement

Hi All,

I had a new Webelos II scout join my den last night. The scout is 11 years old and is diagnosed with Aspergers. When talking with Mom, she indicated that he is chronologically 11, but, functions on more of an 8 year old level. (I am not sure if this is intellectual or social or both.) He does have a full time aide in class. Mom is attempting to have a respit (sp?) worker attend den meetings with him.

Anyway, she asked if he could be placed with a younger den, and I have no idea what the rules/standards are within BSA for such a placement.

As of right now, he is placed in my den based on chronological age. I also have some limited experience dealing with students that have been diagnosed with Aspergers or Autism in a school setting. Both with an in class aide and without. The other den leaders have less experience than I do with students with this disability.

Does anyone know what the guidelines are for proper placement of this scout?

Has anyone had experience placing a scout with a younger den? Any issues/concerns that might arise from such a placement?

Thanks for any insights you can provide!

Here is a link to an article I wrote for Scouting magazine about Scouts with autism and Asperger's Syndrome:

http://www.scoutingmagazine.org/issues/0609/a-boys.html

Also, as a mom of a kid with Asperger's, I probably would NOT place him with a younger den. Emotionally/socially, he may skew younger, but I think it would benefit him to be with his peer group. Also, depending on his disability, the younger boys might be unnerved by the older kid who acts "different" while his peers may know him from school and be used to his differences.

You'll need to work closely with his mom to find out what's best for him.

Elizabeth J

Hi All,

I think we plan on him starting with my den and evaluating as we go.

I did contact our DE and was told that we could place him where ever it seemed appropriate after consultation with the parents.

He (the DE) is in discussions with the Autism Society in our town about starting a Pack specializing in scouting for kids with autism. The thought is that scouts could participate in one or both Packs. The Pack hasn't started up yet, but, might be an option down the line.

A couple of questions I am still pondering...

1. When my den of Webelos II bridge to Boy Scouts does he have the choice of bridging or remaining with the Pack? (Probably should have asked the DE, but, I didn't think about it.)

2. Is it appropriate to ask/require a parent to attend den meetings?

I would like this, at least until I develop a relationship with the scout. Mom mentioned something about having a respit(sp?) worker with him, and I am not sure how that works.

Thanks for all your advice. I really want this to work for the scout and for the guys already in the den as well.

1. The boy can bridge or not, based on his needs and what the family, pack and troop think is best. Find out if your council has an Office of Scouting with Special Needs and see what professional advice they can offer. If by then there is a unit especially for such children, that may be your answer.

2. It is very appropriate to ask that a parent or respite worker to attend meetings, but it depends on the child. You will have to play it by ear. Usually it's a good thing, but some kids will act out more if their parents are around.

We have a child with Asperger's in my son's den. He is very high functioning, but one of his parents is almost always present because he tends to wander around and the DL can't always keep track of him while directing the whole group. Now that he's been in scouts for over 2 years, he is getting better about staying with the group. He actually went to day camp this summer without his parent being a den walker. Mom was on staff at camp, so she was available in a pinch, but it turned out not to be necessary.