NRA Gun Safety courses

Au contrair your webelos are allowed to shoot bb guns but only at a council sponsored or district sponsored event. These usually consist of cub scout day damp and various council sponsored cub family camps held during the year. I would call the person in charge of cub family camp and ask which camp he has scheduled bb guns for. If none of this is doable you may go to your district committee and volunteer to chair a district family camp where with proper personnel, equipment, and locations all the cubs in the district have the opportunity to shoot bb guns. Your local boy scout camp probably has a location and may well have equipment available you need a shooting sports director and a range master for each venue. This is set up to stop packs from doing shooting sports on their own and to keep personal bb guns out of cub scout events. If you just want to do the book part call the council shooting sports people and ask them to have someone come to your meeting and do it. There is no need to pay an outside instructor. BSA and NRA work very closely but there are some differences in the BSA training due to the age of our average participant.

I don't know of a rule that would prohibit a gun safety lecture. I know the NRA has a good safety course for children, called Eddie Eagle. We have used some aspects of it at day camp http://www.nrahq.org/safety/eddie/

But boys have a much better time, and will absorb the safety message when it's included with hands on training. Find a Webelos-ree, or council camping program where your Scouts can attend and earn the BB-gun sports belt loop. BSA shooting sports include strong saftey elements, where your Scouts will learn to shoot in addition to the safety aspects.

Ah yes, the Eddie Eagle program... Our daycare uses it. For 6 months months we got a daily rendition of:

STOP,

Don't touch it!

Leave the area,

Tell an adult!

Sung (yelled) at a level that can only be achieved by a 4 year old. (including dancing and hand motions that would do any camp staff proud.

I was surprised that some one didn't object to brining in an NRA program. May have been that fact that no one at the school ever mentioned the NRA only the Eddie Eagle. How ever they got it in, I'm glad they did!