B&G - Never too soon to start planning

Though I am not actually in charge of the planning of this year's B&G dinner, I was asked to post a message here looking for ideas...

Specifically, our pack is looking for ideas for Professional entertainment (much to my opposition). Our pack is based in the Chicago area (actually the Far west subburb of Elgin), so if anybody has ideas for reasonably priced "professional" entertainment, please let me know.

Thanks,

Kurt Bimler

Cubmaster - Pack 2 Elgin

Webmaster - www.shabbona.org (TFC - District 2)

In days gone by when I was with a pack we had "professional" entertainment at the blue and gold. This is on the level of children's birthday party entertainment. One year we had a clown and another we had a magician. They put on a short program which the kids enjoyed. We were not aiming at entertaining the adults just relieving them of the chore of entertaining all those cubs and siblings.

We have had a magician and animals from the zoo at past Blue and Gold banquets.

Probably the best received was a Comedy Sports team. They do improvisation skits based on the suggestions of the boys in the audience. Absolutely hilarious and the boys and adults loved it.

Kind of like Whose Line is it Anyway on tv.

The local clowns told us that 7-yo's are about the upper limit of their receptive audience.

We have had a magician, and a reptile show. I spoke to an entertainment booking agency that suggested a mime. A lot depends on what you mean by "reasonably priced."

Being near a big city, you have lots of cultural arts performers available and other performers from children's theaters that will come out to events.

Check with places that offer school assembly programs. Some of those can be found online and your local schools are bombarded with ads for such people.

To me the big thing to remember is B&G is first and foremost the celebration of Cub Scouting. It is not a big stage show. I have many fond memories as a Cub Scout, and some of them are from the B&G's. For example how the B&G and my sisters birthday always seem to be connected :p...

Ok seriously ... let each den come up with a special skit, song, story that they perform. Invite a local Scout Troop to come help, and maybe put on some skits and stuff.

Please, don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with bring in a pro act, as long as the scouts get time to do their thing too...

The big thing to me is the Scouts need to be active, not just watching some show, let them be the show and fell special doing it. Also make sure when awards are handed out that it is done with a ceremony with meaning - not just hey Johnny earned (some long list) shake hands .. congratulations next ...

Anyway just my wacky 2 cents

Scott Robertson

http://insanescourer.org

Thanks for all of the great ideas!

The pack was on an OA dancer string of 6 or 7 years in a row. The leadership, and many of the scouts were getting tired of seeing the same basic show every year, so they changed the entertainment 3 or 4 years ago. From what I heard, there was very little scout involvement when it came to entertainment (all but one year was "before my time", so I don't know really how much they were involved).

Two years ago when I became Cubmaster, at my urging, the scouts/leaders provided the entertainment. Sort of going "old school" the way I remembered the Blue & Gold dinners from my childhood - games, skits, songs, etc.

This year, the Commitee Chair would like to see a return to "professional" entertainment. He has served the pack faithfully for 10 straight years, so the planning committee decided to "go pro" this year. The scouts will still have a chance to participate in some skits and songs, so I was OK with the compromise.

ScoutNut - I sent you a private message re: the ventriloquist. I hope you get it.

Kurt

Most of the B&Gs I've attended as a UC did not provide for professional entertainment. Some did (magicians seem to go over well).

Two of the more unusual acts: a karate demo by the local karate school (some of the Cubs were also members of the dojo, so the "connection" was there); and a talk by "Dinosaur George" (a local paleontologist).

The dino talk, complete with fossils, slide show, etc. was a huge hit. It helped that Dino George was an accomplished public speaker, and since he does school presentations on a regular basis, he knows his audience well.

Ask yourself what the kids like (or better yet, ask them!), then see if you can find a speaker that fits the bill.

One caveat, whether magician, OA dance team, whatever: be sure your "talent" knows your time limits. The show can be wonderfully entertaining, but if he gets into the spirit and forgets the time limit, that can really set your program back, if you plan to include other things during your B&G.

Resist the temptation to put too many things on the agenda, but definitely set a time limit and be sure your act knows it and agrees to hold to it. Finally, if your act provides some cheap "gimmes" (the dino guy gave away free dino miniatures), that's always a big plus.

Finally, if you plan a theme for your B&G, let your talent know -- they might be able to craft their act around your theme. Be sure to let them know how much room they will have on-stage, the lighting, sound, etc.

Most the packs I know offered to feed the guy; some accepted, most didn't (probably because they had another gig they needed to get to).

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kurt,

Just so you know, I am in the same council as you are. We usually use the theme from the Program Helps to work with for our Blue & Gold..it keeps each year special and unique for the boys who are earning their Arrow of Light that night. We budget approx. $300.00 for the entertainment. Last year''s theme was Aloha Cub Scouts! We had Hawaiian dancers come and show the kids some dances, and even had the kids do some of them...the big kick was when they brought some of the leaders up and tied skirts (cut up, plastic table clothes) and they had to do the more difficult dance (lots of laughs and good times on that!). This year''s theme is Chinese New Year. The Webelos 2''s are very excited about this one as their patrol is the Dragons, and their DL actually travels to China multiple times a year. We will be trying to find a Chinese restaurant to cater the meal (one that doesn''t use peanut based products or oil) as our school district will not allow a "pot luck" dinner and we are required to have all food brought in be by a vendor. Our preliminary thoughts for entertainment this year is to bring in a martial arts group to do a demonstration or to look for Chinese acrobats. Another good source for some ideas for Blue and Gold would be found at the TFC Training Academy (in November), and some vendors come and advertise in the midway offering their services for B & G banquets.