Troublebetween our Cubmaster and myself.

"I have made arraingements to go to another Pack."

"I will get my boys to their AOL in about two months."

Since you are going to another Pack, and obviously taking your den with you (except the CM''s son perhaps?), why rush the boys thru their AOL? Why not let them get to know the boys and enjoy the program of their new Pack?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work on an active Army post. I know the Cubmaster for Pack 1. The Pack has a long history, and has subdivided in such a way that the boys are in reasonable size units, but still get to wear that ONE on their shoulder. He''s a retired Major. His CC is a retired Sergeant Major. Parents including serving members of all ranks, Sergeant to Colonel.

Away from work, there''s a lot of collegiality in the unit.

Mr Anderson, there''s a dynamic in your unit that''s flat dab unhealthy. I''m glad you''re at the point where kids can earn AOLs and be on their way to Boy Scouting. They''ll be better off to be away from this Pack.

Further, military chain of command breaks down, and more so in the Cubbing model. The Den Leaders have first line, weekly contact with the youth.

From the BSA website, here are the duties of the CM. You might have the CC print this off and hand it to the CM and remind the CM that the CM reports to the CC and the COR. You can read his whole laundry list at http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/about/thepack/cmast.html

Responsibilities: The Cubmaster''s responsibilities are to

-Conduct a pack program according to the policies of the BSA.

-Complete Cubmaster Fast Start Training and position-specific Basic Leader Training. Attend monthly roundtables.

-Plan and help carry out the Cub Scout program in the pack. This includes leading the monthly pack meeting, with the help of other leaders.

-Help the pack committee with a year-round recruitment plan for recruiting boys into Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouting, and Webelos Scouting.

-Know about and use the appropriate and available literature, including Boys'' Life and Scouting magazines, Cub Scout Program Helps, and the Webelos Leader Guide.

-See that the pack program, leaders, and Cub Scouts positively reflect the interests and objectives of the chartered organization and the BSA.

-Work with the pack committee on (1) program ideas, (2) selecting and recruiting adult leaders, and (3) establishing a budget plan.

Guide and support den leaders. See that they receive the required training for their positions.

-Help organize Webelos dens and encourage graduation into a Boy Scout troop.

-Help establish and maintain good relationships with Boy Scout troops.

-Maintain good relationships with parents and guardians. Seek their support and include them in activities. Involve male relatives such as uncles and grandfathers so that Cub Scouts will have additional male role models.

-See that Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts receive a quality, year-round program filled with fun and activities that qualify the dens and pack for the National Summertime Pack Award.

-Guide Cub Scouts in goodwill and conservation projects.

-See that the responsibilities specified for the assistant Cubmaster are carried out.

-Help the pack committee chair conduct the annual pack program planning conference and the monthly pack leaders'' meetings.

Work as a team with the pack committee chair to cultivate, educate, and motivate all pack leaders and parents or guardians in Cub Scouting.

-Take part in the charter review meeting and annual charter presentation ceremony.

-Request den chiefs for all dens and, after selection, see that they are trained. Recognize the den chiefs at pack meetings.

-Conduct an impressive graduation ceremony for Tiger Cubs.

-Meet with the unit commissioner, Webelos den leader, and Scoutmaster to establish plans for the Webelos Scouts'' transition to Boy Scouting.

-Help plan and conduct impressive Webelos graduation ceremonies involving parents and guardians, the Scoutmaster, the Webelos den chief, the Webelos den leader, and the troop junior leaders.

-Conduct impressive Arrow of Light Award ceremonies.

-Encourage high advancement standards for all Cub Scouts.

-Help bring families together at joint activities for Webelos dens (or packs) and Boy Scout troops.

-Support the policies of the BSA.

As Web DL, you can point him to that "Conduct impressive AOL ceremonies." Pin the rose on him to do his job.