In June my 6 y.o came home excited as he has ever been to tell me about Cub Scouts. We rushed to the New Member Night and joined. At the first meeting we discovered this was a brand new unit and there were a total of 3 boys that had actually joined. Positions were assigned to adults and then I worked this entire summer filling each and every leadership role within the unit. I am not bragging, I am stating fact. Although I love doing this for my son and the other boys, I truly can NOT do it all. We are having our New member Night in a couple weeks and I want a quality program for our boys.

My official position in the Unit is Cub Master Assistant, but it seems that Pack Commitee Chair may be a better position for me as I seem to be the only one capable of this. We have a meeting tomorrow night and I plan on voicing much of what I said above, but in a more diplomatic manner.

Now after all that ranting, my actual question is, May I be registered as both CMA and PCC? Also, if we rearrange the Leadership roles how do we go about changing individual registered positions?

Any help or suggestions are appreciated! I truly want to take this little Pack and watch it grow into something special for the boys.

Doesn't sound like you were an "assistant" to anyone. Where was the Cub Master all this time? Doesn't a new pack need a Cubmaster, a committee member and a den leader to start? Maybe this varies by council, but an Assistant Cub Master is always way down the list of require positions.

You cannot be officially registered in two positions unless one of them is Charter Organization Rep. Now, acting in two or three different roles, especially in a new (or even an old) pack is not unheard of. In fact it happens quite often.

Frankly, IMO starting a pack in June is about the stupidest thing that can be done... I know of a pack that started this past May and is already falling apart, so I know what I'm saying. BUT one or two dedicated parents/leaders can pull it off.

School is starting up now. Go to every "back to school" function you can and set up a recruiting table (assuming the school will give permission) Send home flyers from school (again with permission) Try to get a table set up at sports sign ups. Put signs up in the library, signs on the street corners. NOW is the time to be recruiting strongly. Now is the time that parents and children are making their schedules for school and extracurricular activities. Now is the time to let everyone know that Scouts is out there as an option for the boys AND their parents to get involved in.

Get them in, get applications on those adults who aren't already signed up, so that any background checks required by your Council or Chartered Organization can be done. Get them involved and get roles/responsibilities established. Titles can be changed on paper later if need be.

Welcome! Starting a new pack is pretty daunting, but congrats on becoming involved and I'm glad you are having fun with it.

As Scouting Mom has said, you can't (and shouldn't) be CM and CC at the same time. It isn't good for the pack to have just one person playing both vital roles, and it is a recipe for insanity for you! So you do need some more people, and hopefully you'll find some good prospects at your upcoming joining night.

But I also suggest you work the (scout) district for all the resources they have to help you.

Contact your district executive today and ask for lots of help ASAP. The DE is a paid professional whose job includes starting up (and helping support) new units. He or she should also be able to help you identify some other resources, including a Unit Commissioner (this is a volunteer scouter who serves as a "friend" to the unit, to help unit-level people like you figure out what your options are, and how to get where you want to go).

Either the DE or your Unit Commissioner should also be able to help put you in touch with some friendly, experienced leaders from other packs in your area who would be willing to offer ideas or act as a sounding board as you get your feet under you.

The DE or Unit Commissioner might also be happy to go with you to your pack's charter organization (sponsor - often a church or a local service club - ask your DE if you aren't sure who this is) and sit down with the CO to map out a better strategy for recruiting volunteer leaders. Many COs are pretty hands-off, but they don't necessarily have to be, and as a new pack you have an opportunity here to build a strong relationship to both your, and the CO's, advantage.

But the DE is, I think, the place to start. Understand that DEs are evaluated in part on the number of units, and the number of youth, in scouting in their area. So if they helped start up your pack last year and they allow it to fall apart now, that means they need to start up yet another new unit somewhere else just to keep an even tally. And at the end of the day, your DE should know (and you can push) that it is a lot easier to help an existing unit than to start yet another new one!

Keep us posted! I've found this board to be unbelievably helpful over the last few years (both in terms of info and just moral support) and I hope you'll find the same.

Those leadership titles were handed out randomly so that the pack could get it's charter. The 'offical' CM is a mother to 2 scouts in the troop and belongs to our CO. Her first statement was that it was her "job to delegate and after watching me take leadership in everything we were doing, she decided I should be her assistant".

My husband was given the title Tiger Den Leader, again for the charter purpose, but as we explained to them many times, he is able to be a Tiger parent, but not a Leader as his schedule does not permit it. So I took over that role. The Wolf/Bear Leader showed up twice with nothing planned for her boys so I started tailoring the Tiger Activities to include other dens and help their advancement...and so on and so on.

Once I finally discovered there was a Roundtable (through the internet), I went and felt a little relief. I have been doing all the legwork in the things you mentioned and have really gotten excited about the upcomming year, just feel a little overwhelmed. Hopefully I can get my point across to everyone already involved at the meeting Tuesday.

Thanks so much for your input.

Has your District Executive been helping with anything? I know mine would bend over backward to help a brand new pack get up and running. The biggest part of his job is building membership numbers, and new packs and troops are the fastest way to do that. Get him on your side and he can help you figure everything out.

As for deciding whether to be ACM or CC, the thing to think about is, do you want to spend more time focusing on the kid-meetings or do you have more interest in the business side of running a pack? ACM or CM puts you in a position of spending lots of time with the boys - pack meetings, service projects, fundraisers, pretty much whenever the boys are gathered up, the Cubmaster/ACM is there to help, herd, teach them. But when it comes to organizing dens, handling money brought in and being spent, setting up the annual calendar, that's all stuff the committee chair orchestrates. So you need to think about which position suits your talents and desires the best.

OK, let me get this straight, you are "officially" Asst Cubmaster. Unofficially you are Tiger Den Leader, Wolf/Bear Den Leader, and Committee Chair. Well, no wonder you are stating you can not do it all!

People have asked where the CM is, my question is where is the Committee Chair (CC) and the Charter Org Rep (COR)?

First the bare minimum you need to start up a new Pack are -

5 Scouts (not 3)

1 Cubmaster

1 Charter Org Rep who is also registered as the Committee Chair

2 Committee Members

1 Den Leader

These should NOT be simply "paper" names simply put down in order to start a unit. They should all be adults committed to the Pack and its growth. Otherwise what exactly is the point of starting the unit only to have it fail because of lack of leadership?

Each of these people should be doing their OWN job and committed to doing it to the best of their ability or the 1 or 2 who are actually doing the work will get burned out in no time (as you are already experiencing) and the unit will fold.

ALL of the registered adults should take training ASAP! You need to UNDERSTAND THE PROGRAM and your roles in it if the Pack is to succeed. Start with BSA's Online Training Center -

http://olc.scouting.org/

Take all parts of the Cub Scout Leader Fast Start, Youth Protection Training, and even Troop Committee Challenge. Although the Committee Challenge is aimed at a Boy Scout Troop Committee, it will still give you an idea of what a Committee should be doing.

You also need to do New Leaders Essentials and Cub Scout Position Specific Training. Somewhere down the road you will also need to get someone BALOO and Webelos Outdoor trained if your Pack wants to do any camping, but that can wait.

Roundtables are a great resource, not only for ideas on how to work with the National Cub Themes, but for networking reasons. You get to know your District volunteers, both at the District and Pack level, and can get many of your questions answered.

Figure out where each of your adults can best serve the Pack and then go for it. Titles/positions can be changed when/if the Pack recharters.

Thanks to all of you for your responses. Everyone has excuses why they havent been available during the summer, and as I now know, June was not the time to begin the pack. To the best of my knowledge this is new for all of the adults involved so far and maybe they just haven't realized the commitment it takes to be Leaders. We are all scheduled for training in 2 weeks and I have taken all of the online training...even some that have nothing to do with cubs :). I tend to go at things full force, especially when my very own son is involved. You all have given me the hope that I was needing when I wrote my rantings and I am going into tomorrow night's meeting with a clear description of leadership roles, a rally to recruit more help, and a positive attitude. Thanks again and i will keep ya posted.

Where to begin...

m2It01... welcome!!! :)

OK, going forward: Everyone now needs TRAINING:

- Fast Start for Cub Scouting (online)

- Youth Protection for Scouting (online)

- New Leader Essentials for Scouting ... in person.

- Leader Specific Training for:

-- Cubmasters

-- Tiger Den Leader

-- Cub Den Leader

-- Webelos Den Leader

... depending on the postion.

Someone needs BALOO, which is an orientation to the outdoors.

Print off Lisa's post!!! She has great advice.

Now, if Beavah weighs in here, he'll comment about "random selection of leaders." Let me point you to some information, going forward, on how to put the right person in the right job. It is kinda important. Let me give you some webspages from National for some bedtime reading:

Role of the Cubmaster:

http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/about/thepack/cmast.html

Role of the Assistant Cubmaster:

http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/about/thepack/acmas.html

Roles of the Pack Committee:

http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/about/thepack/pcomm.html

Role of the Pack Trainer:

http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/resources/13-152.pdf

How to select quality leaders (this is an instructor sylabbus):

http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/supplemental/18-626/18-626.pdf

Roles of Den LEaders:

http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/about/thepack/csden.html

ROLE OF THE DEN CHIEF (a Boy Scout position, talk to area Troops to get help here):

http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/about/thepack/csdcf.html

Your Council should offer training for Den Chiefs. In a perfect world, the DL and the Den Chief should both attend, so they have mutual understanding and set mutual expectations.

Here's a tool for self-assessment of a Pack which your Unit Commissioner (if you have one) should give you; it'll help form ideas:

http://www.scouting.org/forms/33618/33618-25.pdf

Finally, here is a tool the COmmmissioner himself uses to look at your unit as opposed to the theoretical ideal:

http://www.scouting.org/forms/34125.pdf

Ask lots of questions. Many of us have been here before, and at some point, many Packs roll over leadership every few years, so someone is always on the learning curve.

Finally, attend Roundtable. It's for all leaders, not just the Cubmaster and Chairman. Model Pack meetings, model den meetings, introduction of the BSA program for the coming month, all tools to help you serve those young men. :)

Good hunting, and keep asking questions.

Hello Irish Mom,

In regards to your situation, I have been in one similiar. Being on a military base and being active duty we change over all our jobs every 3-4 years. Yes, in regards to what the others have said about positions, they are correct. One thing I would like to add is who in yoru district is your UC(Unit Comminisioner)? This person is a member of the District staff and is independant of your pack. This person, along with your COR are obligated to help you get your ducks in a row. Not to mention that when it comes to recharter time, either your COR or DE sign off on the adult leaders.

I do applaud you for your strength in this, but just wanted to let you know what others are responsible for helping you do what you can!! I am not a scouting gooroo, but feel free to drop me a line for questions. pack172va@yahoo.com

YIS,

Rob Ehrhart

Cub Master

Pack 172

ScoutNut said:

First the bare minimum you need to start up a new Pack are -

5 Scouts (not 3)

1 Cubmaster

2 Committee Members

1 Den Leader

Are you sure about this list? A new unit that started up down the street from ours doesn't have all this, even on paper. I had asked the UC about it and he said they didn't have a Committee Chair...

They have 5 scouts, COR, CM, 1 committee member, who happens to be the treasurer, a Tiger DL (4 of the 5 scouts are Tigers), and a DL.

Now, I know that when you recharter, there has to be a registered CC, but maybe they have a grace period until then? I doubt they'll last that long. (not you Irish Mom, this new pack near me)

Scouting Mom,

If the DE is allowing anything less than the National standards for a new unit, sooner or later that Council is going to be in the news... in a very bad way.

My only dispute with what Scoutldr and you wrote is that the COR MAY BE co-chartered as the CC. In other words...

There must be a COR.

There must be a CC. COR/CC may be same person, or there may be a COR and a CC.

There must be 2 other members of Committee.

HTH.

YIS.

Maybe the COR is also the CC and maybe they have some other committee member on paper, who is in name only. The DE is not the type to go off on his own against the rules, although he might seek an exception from the powers that be.

It wouldn't be the first time that someone swore something was one way, when in fact, things were different.

I know they had 3 or 4 "we're starting a new pack" meetings before they got enough boys and volunteers to even assign them a unit number.

Having just started a unit (a Sea Scout Ship) I worked close with my DE on the requirements about starting a new unit.

Although we didnt spend a great deal of time on it we did get sidetracked and talked a little about what is needed to start a Pack and Troop.

With my youngest starting Cubs he was trying to talk me into starting a Cub pack also.

I was told by my DE an SE can waive the 5 youth minimum and a unit can be started with as few a 3 youth members.

For a new unit you also need to specify your Chartered Organizations Institutional Head (IH) which is not a registered position.

The COR is the only person who can be officially registered in more than one position.

They can be the Committee Chair or a Committee Member.

They also could be he IH.

With the pressure that DEs are under to start new units perhaps the Pack with no CC, the DE found someone in name only.

"First the bare minimum you need to start up a new Pack are -

5 Scouts (not 3)

1 Cubmaster

2 Committee Members

1 Den Leader"

Taken directly off the new unit application - so yes, this is National's bare minimum.

Actually the requirement states you need 3 committee members, with one of those 3 being the Committee Chair. Also the COR can be dual registered as either CC or a Committee Member. So, to have the minimum people, you have your COR dual register and then only need 2 more Committee Members.

"Are you sure about this list? A new unit that started up down the street from ours doesn't have all this, even on paper. I had asked the UC about it and he said they didn't have a Committee Chair...

They have 5 scouts, COR, CM, 1 committee member, who happens to be the treasurer, a Tiger DL (4 of the 5 scouts are Tigers), and a DL."

Since only 1 den leader is required, I would bet the other one was registered as a committee member. Also since they have no CC, they must have registered the COR as CC.

I would not worry about them. They are legal on paper, and if they do a good recruiting effort the next 2 months they should be fine and can rearrange position titles when they recharter.

Although I am wondering why the UC is discussing their charter with you if you are not connected to their Pack.