Dogs on cub scout family campouts

Last year for the first time, we had a family bring a dog to a pack family campout. There was no notice given, the family just showed up with a chihuahua at the campout. It wasn't any real problem, I was just startled to see a dog show up when the family had not even asked if it was okay. As I said, the dog was well behaved, not one those barking miniature maniacs.

Fast forward a year. Since I am no longer the cubmaster, I totally forgot about the dog from last year and it did not get into my write-up notes. So gueass what happened last weekend- the same family came again and showed up with TWO chihuahuas! Once again, the dogs were well behaved and quiet.

Now I know that at least two other families there have large dogs at home and a third family in attendance has a barking miniature maniac at home. I think I saw the wheels turning in their minds as they saw those two chihuahuas.

Looking ahead to next year, I think we should set the Pack standard. Dogs, like kids, do not always get along and I do not want to have several dogs show up and have an Alpha war on our hands. Any suggestions out there? Has anyone addressed this in an "after the event" manner like this?

And to foresee the question- yes, I have two labradors at home- one is a house dog and the other is a hunting dog. I would never consider bringing either along on a family campout.

CMM

Let me first say that I love dogs. My dogs, my neighbor's dogs, even stranger's dogs. Even a few strange dogs. I've had dogs since I was a kid, and will probably be buried with a dog.

We had the same situation this spring. Family campout with the troop, and one family brought their dog. It wasn't an issue for me until another family showed up with their dog and the two dogs didn't agree with the situation. It just added another dimension that ME as a scout leader of other peoples children don't need to deal with. We issued a directive that no family dogs on campouts anymore. We need to control as many variables as we can and that is one that doesn't need to be dealt with.

We had this situation as well in our pack. Dog showed up on a campout, as did a television set. We ended up with a rule against both. We didn't make a big deal out of it - we just emphasized that we wanted the boys to focus on their outdoor experience without a lot of distractions.

Personally I tend to try to avoid adding rules where possible or minimizing the rules to ensure I get the desired results.

Here is an example: Many troops forbid electronics at outings. In our troop the "rule" is that electronics aren't allowed OUTSIDE of tents. We can't control whether Scouts bring cell phones, ipods, radios, or any other electronics since we are NOT going to be inspecting their gear. BUT if those things are seen (or heard) outside the tents, then the offending item is carefully stowed in a vehicle for the remainder of the activity.

With a Cub Scout family campout you are dealing with families & adults, not just youth. The reality is that some families won't come without their dogs. This is for several reasons, one being that an overnight stay at a kennel can be very costly. Also, a lot of families have dogs that are amazingly well-behaved with other people and pets.

Might I suggest a modified "rule": Pets are allowed, but families with dogs that are unsociable or disturb the peace will be asked to remove their pets from the camping area. Remind the pack about this just before the campout and encourage them to think carefully before bringing pets. Heck, years ago one of the families in our Pack brought along a rabbit of all things, and it did very well on a harness.

We had a one dog stay for the spring campout - single father, one child, well-behaved dog. A couple of other (two-parent)families (with only one parent staying the night) then brought their dogs during the day Sat - not well-behaved. They decided on their own to take the dogs home - if they hadn't I would have asked them to.

The bigger problem (that I have yet to address before the fall campout) was the new den leader who brought a dvd player - I wondered why it was so quiet after the campfire Sat night, and I discovered over half the kids in the pack sitting in front of their tent watching a movie. I think I am going to propose a "no electronics outside your tent" rule (someone had a BopIt that went off as we were lighting the campfire).

Thanks for the input. Regarding electronics, our posted rule is simple. We tell them that ipods and gameboys are allowed in the family vehicle for the ride up, but are not allowed outside of the vehicle once they're in camp. The outdoor experience is the ultimate interface.

CMM(This message has been edited by Cubmaster Mike)

• 3 weeks later...

We camp at a BSA camp in our district. No animals (except service animals) are allowed. The local county parks, where some packs camp do allow pets, but only on a leash. Since camp is so close to home, if pets need care, someone can run home for 1/2 an hour and feed/excercise and return without too much problem.

I would have a hard time with allowing pets. They are a distraction. I am trying to remember what the BALOO syllabus says about the subject. I'll have to look and see if there's anything mentioned.

I will probably recieve a lot of flak for this but...

Just because you love Rover, why does that mean that I must enojy your slobbering mutt sniffing me and rubbing his wet nose around my crotch. If you must own a pet, then do the world a favor and take yourself to doggy school and learn how to control your animal. Too many people seem to overlook that a pet is a priviledge not a requirement and it is incumbent upon the pet owner to learn how to manage their animal.

Pet lovers seem to be blind to the fact that not everyone wants pet hair, slobber, and the constant yapping that comes along with their animated toy. Pets of all types should be left at home along with the electronics. Pet owners who complain they could find no one to watch their pet really mean I was unwilling to pay to have the vet maintain my pet.