Litttle girl in a Cub Scout uniform

Girl Scouts is not a female version of Boy Scouts. The programs are vastly different with different methods and goals. That said, I feel that if a female would want to join the BSA program as a Cub Scout or Boy Scout - let them. However, don't change the program content.

Right now, with Venturing and Exploring being co-ed I think the program is just fine.

As for all male schooling - I think the addition of more male teachers in elementary and secondary education (use merit pay!) would solve the need for gender specific schools. It is a fact that boys and girls learn differently. However, it is also true that we live in a mixed gender, racial and ethnic world and teaching in that same environment has benefits too.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Knowing now how lame a Brownie troop can be I would hate to tell a tomboy she couldn't be a Cub...."

My sentiments as well.  Girl Scouting in our community is not very good and considered boring in comparison to the Cub Scouts & Boy Scouts.  My daughter would like to be a "Scout", but she wants to be in a program like my son's Pack where they have outings and campouts.  She's not a "tomboy", she just likes the outdoors.

The Girl Scouts in my community do not do a good job of projecting themselves as fun outdoor program. 

The girl in the Cub Scout uniform?  At a minimum, I would say to the Pack leaders that only members are allowed to wear the uniform.  That's all I would say and leave it at that.  Let the DE or Council do the rest.  It's nothing to get upset about.  So many girls want to be a part of scout program that is un-like the Girl Scouts that I can sympathize.

"Knowing now how lame a Brownie troop can be I would hate to tell a tomboy she couldn't be a Cub...."

Whether you hate to tell her or not, she can't be a Cub Scout! She is the wrong gender. And letting her play out her little fantasy is just plain wrong.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

• 3 weeks later...

Our 8 year old daughter attends most of my Web 2 meetings. She knows the Boy Scout Law, Motto, etc. She can do a flag ceremony, tie a square know and 1/2 way set up a tent.

She can identify Poison Ivy, Sumac and Oak. She understands the meaning of "Do a good turn daily".

She wants to be a Cub Scout so bad she can taste it but she knows she can't. She does not want anything to do with Girl Scouts. She is counting the years down until Ventures.

I am a Web II den leader, and yes I feel only scouts should be in uniform, but lets not be Girl Scout bashing. I have an older GS troop and my Webelo scout wants to do the things he did as a tag-a-long for my GS troop. I took 3rd grade, 8 yr old brownies camping often. They could tie knots, identify many plants (not just poisonous), do kapers, hike, etc. The programs are different, but so are the individual troops. If you have a girl who wants the outdoors, call your local GS office and find her a troop that is into those things. (and if one doesn't exist, start one!) Not all GS's are boring. I found the cub scout program to do things for outdoors at a much slower pace.