Litttle girl in a Cub Scout uniform

" I would welcome girls in a Cub pack (but not Webelos) if national said so."

What would you do with them when they hit 4th grade?

What makes them good Cub material in 3rd grade, and then not worth National's time once they hit 4th?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

off topic from the main topic, but replying to the comment about the brownie program

My daughter is in brownies. I am not sure what you mean that brownies don't have a pinewood derby. Her service unit has an annual "powder Puff Derby (pinewood derby)

They have a resident camp where they can do archery. They don't shoot BB's,, but they even got the chance to go canoeing at day camp this year.

The implimentation of the program at the unit, district (service unit) or council level will determine if the program is "lame". Not the program itself

Pink shoes may not mean anything... As I waited to pick my son up at the high school one day over the summer, I saw a young man with pink and white NIKEs on. He was a large masculine football player type, so I think it was "stylin" to match his pink shirt and not gender issues. My son also says that there is a group of boys at the middle school who wear girls pants/shirts and think it is cool. Or maybe the kid just liked the pink shoes.

but I will say a girl doesn't belong in a CS uniform.. and not all brownie troops are lame. My daughter is assistant leader to her old troop and I know they have carried the girls camping several times and to all sorts of places from museums to camping and hiking.

There will be no hanging anyone upside down! My gosh, someone might fall & might get hurt & we don't want someone to sue us! Gosh no! Heck, we shouldn't even be letting the kids out of the house!! They might get hurt!!

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

If the boys didn't seem to make a big deal out of it, I wouldn't either.

In 1974 or '75, I was able to snatch front row tickets to a Linda Ronstadt concert at college. Back then, you could take a camera to a concert and it wasn't a big deal. Well I snapped some nice pictures of Linda that evening. One still sits on my desk at home. By the way, she wore a complete (sans hat) Cub Scout uniform including some very short official Cub Scout shorts.

http://www.ronstadt-linda.com/hit7806.jpg

It is high time in the USA that we have a coed scouting program. Most other commonwealths of the UK have a coed scouting program. Many of the leaders in the US are women anyway and in the cub scouts that was always the case for many years. When will we in the US catch up to the rest of the civilized world.

Curtis,

I think you need to re-read the Declaration of Independence:

"The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America,

"When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

(empahsis added)

We're not a commonwealth of the UK. We severed political status. The much vaunted "special relationship" is diplomatic, military and economic in nature, not governmental.

We are what we are. If you want to be an agent of change, set your service goal in Scouting to become a Regional Commissioner or the National Commissioner of BSA.

As for me, I think gender-specific programs are not the end of the world.

I just heard an interview on NPR with Dr. Leonard Sax, who has a new book out about how boys don't do as well in co-ed schools. He's a big advocate of single-sex public schools, which have been increasing by a tremendous percent recently, although still in relatively small absolute numbers. It sounded like they have some real strong success stories, for example, in Toledo. If there really does end up being a viable movement in favor of public single-sex educational institutions, it seems like that would lessen any pressure on Scouts to go co-ed.

I prefer keeping Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts separate. Any parent of a girl who prefers Boy Scouts should step up and become an awesome Girl Scout leader.

My boys will be starting Middle School and High School in a couple weeks. After seeing the way the girls dress at those ages, I really wish we did have an all-boys school!

Keep the programs separate. Each is tailored to it's own gender. Combining them would result in balanced program not optimized for either. Or worse, bent towards one of the genders, as some people claim public schools are.

A lot of the old ways of telling gender are gone. One of my scouts has hair almost down to his you-know-what. Pink shoes? I've seen some boys wearing sun glasses that I swear were a woman's brand - large with white rims embedded with rhinestones!

Hi all

I'm an Australian Group Leader who has just joined the forum. Without daring to try to tell you how you should do things, let me just tell you what happens here.

Bringing girls into Scouting began here with our Rover Scout Section (18-25 year olds) 35 years ago and has been part of all levels of Scouting now for about 15 years. So far as I can see it has been totally successful. No-one inside Scouting questions the change now. Sometimes I still encounter outsiders who ask with surprise "Oh, you have girls in Scouts now?" but it almost always evokes a positive reaction.

If anything, it has helped eliminate the old, unfortunate paedophilia image Scouting had in some circles, and no, there hasn't been an outbreak of unwanted pregnancies.

Girl Guides (like Girl Scouts in the USA) still exists, which seems a bit of an anomaly to me. We joke that girls now have a choice but boys don't!