One den (4 Leaders)

So, here is the deal.

The new wolf den now has 4 den leaders!!!

All of the den leaders want to be active but because of their work schedules it is hard to have one dedicated leader.

To start off with I am going to be the primary leader.

So here is what I did, I have set up a Wolf leaders book that includes wolf traxs, (that includes phone numbers of parent, the boys achievements and a copy of the boys health history form) and a calendar of upcoming events. I have started to put together a week by week agenda for every den meeting (here is a copy -----> http://www.cspack378.org/wolf/). Last but not least I added that handout that you get in Leadership training that the parents have to fill out about their strong points and how they can help.)

I plan on updating the book once a month for the den leaders.

The program calls for a den leader, an assistant and a den chief. I hope that our den will be really strong with all the leadership. The boys will stay on the same program with all the leaders.

Does anybody see where there would be a problem with running the program like this? We are all trained and we all really think this will work.

Please - There is no such thing as "Class A's". Please start them out using the correct terminology.

Make sure all of the den's leaders are completely trained. Maybe you could all go together. That way you could support each other and also benefit from shared questions/answers.

Your agendas sound OK, however, if you are doing all of the work putting together the program for the den, what are the other 3 den leaders doing?

With 4 leaders, working together, you should have a GREAT den. The key concept is to work together on everything. That includes putting together den programing.

There is no real need to have only 1 "den leader", with everyone else considered simply an "assistant". You should work together. One could be the main committee liaison, one advancement, one outings, one dues and all sharing everything else. A den chief is a Boy Scout Position of Responsibility. You should contact your Cubmaster to see if any BS Troops have one available. Denner, is a Cub Scout youth leadership position and one (along with the Asst Denner) that I highly recommend.

Have a den leader get together once a month/every other month, to plan the upcoming meetings & activities & to figure out who will be responsible for what/when. Don't forget to have someone attend your monthly Pack Committee meetings.

BTW - Our 5th grade Webelos den has 3 leaders (9 boys) and our new Wolf den has 5 (12 boys - they wanted to stay together & with 5 leaders they always have the option to split if it gets overwhelming). They work together & have a great time & a great program.

I can see how it might work, though I think there are times when someone has to be able to say "this is how it will be." But if you have 4 adults who are that involved, that's wonderful. The only real question I have is this: by putting all four of those people in the position of den leader, are you robbing the pack of some dedicated, talented, energetic folks who might really shine in some other positions instead? For example, maybe one of these people would make a great Assistant Cubmaster or Committee Chair? Just something to consider.

You can't have too many leaders, even in a Den. There is plenty of fun work to do. If there is not enough work to do in the Den, there will be plenty to do in the Pack. I concur with LisaBob. Watch out for leader opportunities at the Pack level.

Best Wishes and have fun.

I took a look at your link and I happened to notice that on August 21st at 7:30 pm the last thing happening is the CRAP walk. LOL! That really gave me the giggles but others might not be so forgiving :)

That brings to mind the "scat hike" we did with our guys - which is one of the den meetings they STILL talk about on occasion, several years later as boy scouts. Yeah, I don't think we'd have encouraged them to call it a CRAP walk though, LOL! Maybe this little typo (if it is one) can be serendipitous for you in terms of brainstorming future program ideas.