A poll about merit badges

I voted for cooking, but there's a lot to be said for pioneering too. How many people do you know that can splice a rope? Maybe that's not something one does every day, but if you can do it, you're a step ahead of the rest of the pack.

I have always thought Cooking should be a required badge. In your lifetime, you may never have to save a life, or use environmental science,but at one point or another you will have to cook a meal, whether it is in college, as a single, as a young married man, or later in life after the death of a spouse. In our troop we put a lot of emphasis on the proper cooking of meals.

Cooking. Hiking is now an "or" required merit badge.

Learning how to cook is important. In my Troop on camping trips, we require the patrols to cook. We attend a patrol cooking summer camp so this is reinforced the entire year.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

I voted for cooking, but if I had another choice it would be wilderness survival. This has always been a popular badge with our boys, and with a knowledgeable counselor they can they can learn a lot of important skills.