Girl Scouts, and Cub Scouts joint activity

I am a Den Leader, for my son, I am also a Co-leader for my daughter who is girl scouts along with my wife. When we are at girl scout meetings and outings, my son goes along becouse we do not have someone to take care of him. He does fairley we, but he said that he wished that he could have another boy with him for these activities. Someone asked me if it was possable to have a joint Girl Scout, and Cub Scout activity? Has anyone ever done this?

Our Pack & the Girl Scout Troops from our parish school do a joint tree decorating around our church every December. We alternate sponsoring it every other year. The sponsoring group provides cookies, hot cocoa & seasonal music in the school/parish hall.

When I a GS Troop, my co-leader & I both had the same problem. We would often bring along our younger sons. Although, since there were 2 of them, they did manage to entertain each other. I used to tease my son that he was a Brownie before he was a Tiger!

For a Den/Troop outing, I would first ask the kids what they thought of the idea. If both the boys & girls are ok with it then go for it! Have the kids plan it, keeping in mind both the Guide to Safe Scouting and Safety Wise.

We invited the Girl Scouts to our Pinewood Derby. We ran it for the boys as usual, then for the girls, breaking them down by grade instead of "rank" so that it would be similar. Then ran the girl winners against the boys.

The girls won.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm the Leader of our bear den. I have been with them since tigers. Out of ten boys we have five sisters in scouts; most of them come to events and some meetings.

I spoke to the parents at the beginning of the year if we are doing a craft the girls are welcome, as long as the craft is paid for by the parents. Some thing with outings and community service. If we are getting fun patches, I will gladly order them for the girls if the parents wan them.

I also mention at some of the things we do can count for them too. We earned our emergency prep pins last year. We had a fireman and two EMT people come as part of it. I believe that counted for some of the girls. We earned the duty to God patches; they have special ones for girl scouts.

Our pack is Very family focused, with lost of extra kids at meetings and outings, so it just seemed natural to do. As long as it works for your den I say go for it.

Siblings often turn out to be your best friends later in life, share the memories!

We dont have that problem, as over here our beavers, cubs, scouts and explorer scouts are all mixed groups, it works very well, has done for years, there is no boy girl thing, we are all scouts and get on with scouting, lots of countries now have mixed scouting, Canada, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand, I am sure BP would approve, were he here today, it is a forward move and you know what they say about forward movement.

" to be a movement you have to move forward, if you dont move forward it becomes an organisation, if it is an organisation, then it isnt Scouting ".

Unfortuntely, Mr or Ms Owain, the policy and operational differences between BSA and GSUSA make that a bridge too far for the next 5-10 years.

There are many local activities that might be win/win events as joint activities. Even so, leaders are well served to make sure each part of the program does its own paperwork (I don't know what the term for Tour Permit is in Girl Scouting).

In our District, we conduct group classes for the Protestant and Catholic Religious awards. We open the door not only to GSUSA but also the local Camp Fire units :)