What is your pack doing on Memorial Day ?

Our Troop and Pack together will be at a local cemetary at 0630 to put up flags on veterans graves. After we are done, the Volunteer Firemen cook breakfast for all who helped. Then we will all go back to the cemetary at 1000. All Scouts march in behind the American Legion Color Guard and attend the Memorial Day Services. Martial music played by our high school band, speaker, prayer by Am. Legion chaplain, National Guard firing squad, and Air National Guard jets flyover. Nice service and I think the boys get a lot out of it. At 1600 we help take down the flags.

Lizzy, I don't have time to find the source for this. But I think last year there was a news story about a cub who fell (jumped?) off a flat bed truck in a parade and was struck and killed by the vehicle behind the truck. Anybody else know whether I'm remembering accurately or not?

Several area packs typically march (well - meander) in the parade. My son's troop will march and will assist with the ceremonies at the local cemetery.

I do recall that incident.

I was just wondering the official regulation. The fire department asked us to ride on their truck.

We declined, because it could not hold all of the boys.

Our Troop along with the other Packs and Troops and the Girl Scouts spent the morning placing flags on the graves at our Veteran's Cementary. It is the only one in the Northern Nevada area. A total of 5000 flags. Tomorrow night at sunset our Troop will be helping our Charter Org the local American Legion Post take down a garrison flag at a local business which we will retire in June. Then Monday morning will be helping raise a new flag to replace it. The gravesite flags we have been doing for the Scouts in the area have been doing for the last 15 years. On Thurs our Troop has been asked to attend the Memorial service of a local soldier. He was to marry the sister of our ASPL. The boys have always known what kind of sacrifice those in those graves gave us this year it's closer to home.

We (my son-Boy Scout, my daughter-Junior Girl Scout & me, Wolf DL)with our respective troops & pack, went to Calverton National Cemetery on Saturday to place flags on the soldiers graves. My pack also had a car wash fundraiser after that. On Monday, we will be marchign in our town's Memorial Day Parade & the there's a service afterwards & wreaths are placed around the memorial. We've been doing this every year since 2003 when we joined Scouting.

We march in the parade. This year we made slides from little green army guys to wear!

I recall that incident with the boy and the truck. My understanding of the rules, for which I have no source to quote, except my memory of reading it somewhere - is that ther are specific rules about riding on flatbeds. We've done it for other parades with no problems. We have the boys sit at least 3 feet back from the edge, nothing dnagling over the edge, nobody standing. They can wave flags or throw candy (if the event organizers approve candy throwing). When the truck stops - like for a judging stand - the boys can stand and salute or sing or whatever, but they must be seated again before the truck moves.

From BSA's "The Guide to Safe Scouting" -

Parade Floats and Hayrides

The BSA rule prohibiting the transportation of passengers in the backs of trucks or on trailers may be tempered for parade floats or hayrides, provided that the following points are strictly followed to prevent injuries:

1) Transportation to and from the parade or hayride site is not allowed on the truck or trailer.

2) Those persons riding, whether seated or standing, must be able to hold on to something stationary.

3) Legs should not hang over the side.

4) Flashing lights must illuminate a vehicle used for a hayride after dark, or the vehicle must be followed by a vehicle with flashing lights.

Today our pack went to the local National Cemetery and helped take the flags out. The 5th grade at the middle school places them prior to Memorial Day and this was the first year we helped to take them out. I think the boys that showed up had fun doing it and hopefully when they are older will better understand the sacrifices made by the veterans.

Today our pack went to the local National Cemetery and helped take the flags out. The 5th grade at the middle school places them prior to Memorial Day and this was the first year we helped to take them out. I think the boys that showed up had fun doing it and hopefully when they are older will better understand the sacrifices made by the veterans.