New outing ideas for Webelos

Hello all,

I started as a Tiger Leader and have now taken my boys all the way through to Webelos. I used to be great at planning outings. My boys have been everywhere, and done just about everything. We've done the aquariums, zoos, camp-outs, pool parties, corn maze, young eagles, etc.

Now that my boys are starting Webelos II though, I'm starting to feel tapped out. I think I've run out of ideas. The only thing we haven't done is Laser Tag, so we'll probably do that. We just went to an Art Museum (Our 2nd) and painted pottery as part of their Artist Badge last month.

Now we're heading into Summer, and I'm trying to come up with ideas. I asked the boys and they want to do things they aren't allowed to do under the Guide to safe Scouting. They all watch extreme sports on T.V. and want to repell, cave, etc. They saw the rope course at our BSA Camp and wanted to do that. I had to explain that they would get to do it, but not until Boy Scouts.

So, here's my question. Does anyone else have outing ideas, especially outdoor activities challenging enough for Webelos, but that still fit with the Guide to Safe Scouting?

We did Orienteering at our Den Camp-out last year. The boys liked it and have done it a couple of times this past year at local events. They were able to just use the map though and didn't have to count their steps at the local events, so I think we'll do that again.

We'll probably introduce more Camp fire cooking. We've been teaching that at every camp-out for the past two years as well. The boys always enjoy that too.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated though. Especially team building ideas. Thanks for everyones help.

I understand where you're coming from and it is great that you are keeping the guys active and involved in scouting. Maybe it is time to shift focus a bit though, from field trips to things they can do (for themselves) in the local area. One complaint I hear from a lot of new boy scouts - including the ones who were in "my" den - is that cubs is "more fun." Well sure, because in cubs they had us adults to organize their field trips here, there, and everywhere for them. In boy scouts, as I'm sure you know, they have to do their own planning and camp outs are qualitatively different from going to a museum, zoo, party, etc.. So if I could go back and do anything differently with my webelos guys, it would be to move away from these sorts of pre-packaged events/activities and toward more typical "scout" activities.

So maybe you want to do some more outdoor stuff. Maybe a one-night camp out with an astronomy theme. Maybe a dutch oven dinner and camp fire for a den meeting. Maybe teach them some other ways to cook outdoors. Maybe get them involved with a service project for your local conservation district or dept of natural resources or whatever it is in your area. Maybe do a day hike to somewhere interesting (maybe they can go fishing once you get there- I'm amazed at how much active & goofy boys still like to go fishing! Never would've guessed it. Well, add in frog hunting too.). In all of the above, give them a little more responsibility for planning these things themselves.

Oh, and careful with the laser tag. Fun as it sounds, my understanding is that it is not an accepted BSA activity (along the lines of paintball).

Yeah - the GTSS says"

"Pointing any type of firearm (including paintball, dye, or lasers) at any individual is unauthorized. However, law enforcement departments and agencies using firearms in standard officer/agent training may use their training agenda when accompanied with appropriate safety equipment in the Law Enforcement Venturing program."

So, I think the laser tag is out, too. However, have you taken them to a commercial climbing facility? They can climb, just not rapell to descend (That's per "Age Appropriate Guidelines for Scouting Activities".)

Since they liked orienteerin you could try geocaching or letter boxing.

You've got your troop visits coming up (you should start ASAP). Those will eat into some of your field trip dates, because you'll want to see several troops and maybe camp with a couple, so they have those to look forward to as well.

Some other thoughts, things that were popular with our webelos guys (in the order I remember them):

1) We did a "scat hike" at the local state park. The nature/education staff was great about organizing it, boys loved it.

2) For fall - Council or District camporees, depending on your district/council. We attended one with our council (and camped with a troop) as webelos but the boys weren't allowed to do the boy scout events and the cub events were really designed for younger boys. On the other hand, we attended another one in a neighboring council and the boys had an absolute blast. On this one we couldn't camp but during the day the boys had access to the same activities as the boy scouts - just they did them as a den instead of as a patrol.

3) Den-level rain gutter regatta (or the spaceship race, or whatever one your pack doesn't normally do). The regatta can be done simply, with minimal preparation (or it can be a big, parent-involved deal - which I do NOT recommend!) We made a "river" out of drain pipes set up on saw horses, boats from blocks of styrofoam and that foamy craft material for sails, and had our own den races. They had a ball.

4) Minor league ball game & camp out at the ball park.

5) You might want to hold off on caving with the boys, but I bet you could get someone to do a cool geology-related activity with them. We contacted a local gravel pit and discovered that the manager was an Eagle scout. He arranged a tour and talked with the guys. It was actually pretty interesting. Given where you are, you have all sorts of great possibilities along these lines.

I see you're not far from Dayton - have the guys been to Wright-Patterson AFB? They allow scout groups to camp out on the base and then spend the day checking out the planes.