A Hiking We Will Go ... Teaching Compass Skills

Our Webelos leader put together four compasses for eight boys, broke them into pairs and then had the pairs do a compass course, with an adult tagging along behind to make sure they didn't get too lost. It was easy putting together four compasses ands the boys got to try different models and see the differences.

CMM

Thanks for all of the great ideas and input!

I'm leaning towards SSScouts advice, as I have about 60 scouts ranging from just graduating Tigers to new Webelos 2. I simply want to introduce them to the compass, rather than master the compass at this point. Just want to help them earn their Map & Compass Belt Loops at the campout.

I had just about settled on the Walmart jobs - 2 for each Den (leader holds one), and then raffling them off around the campfire later that night. I've always thought I'd rather be able to put something in every kid's hand, though. So, maybe I'll look into 5 of the recommended compasses and raffle those off, while putting one of these little jobs into each hand.

I am also going to check with one of our local Troops and see if they would like to help with this particular skill.

Thanks again! This forum is an awesome resource!

Raffle? As in sell tickets for a chance to get a compass?

That is not allowed by BSA.

A door prize, where everyone present puts their name in a popcorn can, with no charge to any scout, and 5 names are pulled to receive the compasses - That is fine.

I do mean door prize in this case, but where do you find that BSA doesn't allow raffles? Our pack does them every month. My nephews' pack does them also. In our case, the raffle money buys the next month's items. If we are violating the rules, I'd like to know so I can bring that fact to the attention of our committee.

A raffle is a gambling scheme to make money for somebody at the expense of others that pay to take a chance. Gambling doesn't mesh well with the values of Scouting. The back page of the money-earning application is one place that talks about this.

Most companies like Silva guarantee their compasses for life. If they leak, the company should replace them, as long as you didn't cause the damage.

SILVA LIMITED WARANTY

What is Covered? Johnson Outdoors Inc. warrants your Silva compass to be free from defects in materials or workmanship, and to perform accurately, for the life of the compass (that is, for so long as it has not been damaged by the causes described in the next paragraph). All non-compass products have a 1 year warranty (not including batteries).

What is Not Covered? Normal wear, and damage due to abrasion, melting, misuse, alteration, and abuse (including any disassembly) is not covered by this warranty.

How to Obtain Warranty Service or Repair of Your Silva Product: Should a defect covered by this warranty appear in your Silva product, call our Consumer Service Department toll-free at (800) 572-8822 for return authorization and instructions. (You must pay the cost of returning the Silva product to us.) If the product is found to be defective in material or workmanship, we shall, at our option, either repair or replace it without charge, and will pay the cost of return shipment to you. If repairs are required to correct any problem not covered by this warranty, we will contact you for approval to proceed and to charge you for the components repaired or replaced, plus a nominal charge for labor.

http://www.silvacompass.com/warranty.html

Well, we had our committee meeting and they approved everything I want to do - gotta love 'em!

I'm going to order enough of the really inexpensive ones that SSScout was talking about so each boy has one in their hand to take home, and I'll have extras. Then I am going to get enough Silva 1-2-3 Starter Compasses so that each Den Leader has one for the activity. Those we will give away as door prizes at the end of camp.

For the actual activity, we are going to have everyone first stand up and face north (thanks for the idea SSScout!), then pass out the compasses. Once they all figure out how to find North, I'll have each Den mark paces North, East and SW (or something like that - need to look at the area first), hopefully ending up back at their starting point. We'll have a short talk about why it is important to know directions. We will be doing a Search & Rescue program also that afternoon, and not losing your bearings fits right in with that. We will save the more rigorous navigating for Den activities at another time, when it is easier to keep every one's attention.

Thanks for all the great input. You all really did convince me NOT to use the $3.95 Ozark Trail compass from WalMart ... Anyway, I'll let you know how it all goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Last year, at our Pack fall festival campout a couple of leaders set up a course for boys from Tiger to Webelos to navigate. The course was laid out over approx 5 acres of land. At each staging point we had candy and direction/paces to next location.

It was the first time our Pack had tried something like this, the boys had a fun time and learned to become familiar with outdoor navigation.