crossover ideas

with our crossover coming up - i was trying to find something different than what our apck has done in the past. (it was a somewhat loosely structured - boy walks over bridge and gets face paint ceremony).

any ideas and what has been good for your pack? our meetings are held indoors and at the school - so any of the cool ideas with fire are likely out of the question :)

Ours has always been fairly low-key, but quite well received (even a little emotional on occasion). The Webelos II is called up, he meets his parent(s)on one side of our little bridge (which has the AoL candleholder in front of it) and gives his mom a rose. One of the parents then takes off his Cub Scout neckerchief and slide. The boy then walks over the bridge, and is met on the other side by one of the Boy Scouts from our local troop, who puts on his Boy Scout neckerchief and slide. He is then congratulated by the Scoutmaster and the assembled Boy Scouts, to much applause.

The emotion comes in when (as in this year's crossover) it's the Cub's older brother welcoming him into Boy Scouts. Caught me by surprise (these were my two boys after all) but there were some sniffles and a big "AAAWWWWW!!!!" from the audience when it was announced that it was his brother putting on the neckerchief. :)

Depending on your situation one pack/one troop, well liked effective DC, etc.:

If you have a Webelos den with a well liked Den Chief, he may wish to "say good-bye" to his den and thank them for a good cubbing experience, walk over to the other side, and "say hello" as their new PL or TG who then introduces each one to the SM and troop.

Stosh

I congratulate on going after a ceremony. At my son's cross over it was very dissapointing. The CM didn't annnounce what was happening. He had all the kids line up on one side and the two SM on the other. Then cubs walked a plank on milk crates. The audience was in a state of "huh?"

Make sure the CM explains what is occuring. Many in the audience won't have a clue what is happening. A sense of omp and circumstance will help too.