troop and pack committee

The short answer is yes. I have been simultaneously a Cub Scout leader, a member of the troop committee and a member of the District Committee. I had sons in both units and district level training responsibilities.

In some units where multiple units are chartered by the same CO, it is very common to have some committee members in common.

The only restrictions are "on your honor" types:

A PROGRAM OFFICER (Scoutmaster, Cubmaster, Crew Advisor, Team Coach) is ex officio a member of a unit committee, and cannot be chartered in his unit as a committeeman.

A PROGRAM OFFICER should hold no other Scouting job: He's to work with his youth. He has mentorship, growth, development, and supervisory responsibilities.

A COMMISSIONER should not hold jobs down in the trenches.

Den Leaders can concurrently be on Committees (not always the best idea, they have lots to do in leading their charges).

ASMs can be on other committees.

Committeemen in one unit can be assistant program people in another.

There is ONE Chartered Organization Representative for all units under the sponsorship of the Chartered Partner.

There is ONE Executive Officer of the chartered Partner.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

Absolutely, with the caveats listed so clearly above. For the past year I have been the "data" person (committee member) for both the Pack and the Troop (made it very easy when crossover time came - I graduated the Webelos II from one database and imported them into the other one!). Why am I doing this? Because I have one son in each unit. But that will be over at the end of this year, as #2 has just crossed over to Boy Scouts, and I am in the process of training my Pack replacement. :)

Sometimes these things can't be helped.

I am the CA of a venturing crew and the president of the CO. That makes me the Executive Officer AND crew Advisor. After 8 years of working with the crew, I'm not going to step down just because the CO elected me president/senior officer.

And when I'm not doing that, I'm ASM of a scout troop, have been for almost 15 years now.

Any of these combinations need to be evaluated on a case by case basis. I don't think I could be pulling this off if it wasn't for the fact that I have been a registered BSA member of some sort for almost 30 years now, plus another concurrent 34 years of working with non-BSA youth groups.

One problem I've run into with parents that want to be on the Pack Committee and the Troop Committee is that they try to have both function alike. The Pack Committee runs the Pack. It produces the calendar and sets the goals and program. The CM works with the DLs to see that the program is delivered and that the DLs support the Pack meeting program. The Troop Committee is there to support the SM and the PLC. The SM sets the "program" and the PLC produces the calendar and is responsible for the day to day operations. The TC is like a producer on a movie, they see that everyone else has what they need to do their jobs but they(the producers) don't act, cast, direct, or write screen plays. When parents come from the PC they want to run the troop and dictate to the SM and PLC just like they did in the Pack. Trying to be on both committees simultaneously is usually difficult mentally.

LongHaul

There is one clear BSA rule -

"No one may register in more than one position in the same unit, except the chartered organization representative."

So you could be a registered committee member (or other position) in a Pack, Troop, Crew/Ship, & Team, all at the same time.

You can not REGISTER as both a Den Leader and a Pack committee member in the same Pack. However, you could be both a registered CS Pack Den Leader & a registered BS Troop committee member.

As noted, this rule only covers those positions for which you are registered. You can fill any number of positions, in any number of units at the same time. You simply can not register in all of them.

Some folks can handle multiple positions, and anything else that comes their way, others can not. It is much better to do only 1 job, & do it well, than to hold down 3+ jobs, do none of them justice, & possibly get burned out quickly.

AH-HEM, I would just like to stand up and say that I admit it, I, Scoutnut, am a multiple hat wearer. ;)

I am also going to start on a campaign to divest myself of some of my hats & encourage others to put them on. I can do this. I can do this anytime. I WILL do this.

I will do this right after I finish planning the next BALOO training, putting together our Pack Fishing Derby, finding a cool graduation ceremony for my Tigers, sending out our Pack summer event fliers, organizing our Pack Family Camp, staffing Cub Scout Summer Camp, organizing our Pack Picnic/Rocket Shoot, attending our District popcorn Kickoff, registering my brand new Tiger group, finding a cool Bobcat ceremony .... Whoops!

I, Scoutnut, am an incurable multiple hat wearer. ;)

jblake47 wrote: "I am the CA of a venturing crew and the president of the CO. That makes me the Executive Officer AND crew Advisor. After 8 years of working with the crew, I'm not going to step down just because the CO elected me president/senior officer."

I think you'll find there's no problem here. The IH position isn't a registered adult position (the IH is registered through the New Unit Charter Application). It represents the final authority for the CO. As far as I'm aware the IH can register in any adult position he or she wants (but has to follow whatever rules apply to that position as far as other positions are concerned). At least, I haven't found anything in any BSA materials that either confirms or denies this belief.

As ScoutNut said, only the COR can have multiple registered positions within the same unit, but the choices are limited to CC or MC.

We have some folks who are on the pack committee and the troop committee; and some folks who are on the troop committee and the crew committee. I'm an assistant Scoutmaster and an Advisor. When I took over as Advisor (the previous Advisor moved unexpectedly) it took a year to find a replacement for me as Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner. We all wear multiple hats- the troop committee chair and I did Wood Badge staff last year; he and the Scoutmaster are doing it this year. I'm the still the district webmaster, as well as for the troop and crew. Our COR is also the Cubmaster.

The Scout Association in the UK actually does this quite well. A Scout group basically is a common committee for all of the Beaver colonies, Cub Scout packs and Scout troops in a community. The older Explorer Scouts and The Scout Network are stand-alone.

Ed

Agreeing with what others have said, you can be a Committee person for both a Cub Pack and a Scout Troop. Training is important especially to help you see the differences in your role as a Committee member for two different programs.

Be careful about wearing too many hats though: I was at one time and for several years a Cubmaster, Troop Advancement Chair, and District Training Chair (along with Cub Resident Camp Director and Day Camp helper). Whew, burnout for sure!

Mr JBlake47,

May I recommend that during your tenure as President, you ask your 1st VP to serve as the Executive Officer vice yourself?

If there is a conflict in scheduling of facilities, or a conflict of policy, you are then free to fully advocate the Scouting position. If you choose your current path, the downside risk for you is either your charges in the unit or your members in your CO can decide you were favoring the other organization.

Additionally, we keep saying this over and over: The position of Program Officer (CM, SM, ADV) has such important relationship to the growth and development of the youth that the incumbent shouldn't have another Scouting position!

YIS

John,

If we were any other kind of CO/Crew combination I would tend to agree with you. One simply can't protect a church council president who wants to be SM from all the various conflict of interest situations he/she will find themselves embroiled in.

However, our CO is an adult version of the crew (Living History/Reenacting). Both organizations are under similar by-laws and expectations, the crew being more strict than the adults. We often have coinsiding activities. For example the crew is having an activity next Saturday which the CO membership is invited to participate in and before the year out invitations will pass back and forth from both sides. Presently we have only two registered adult crew leaders who are not also CO members. One of those two is a college student who has aged out of the Crew and hasn't joined up with the CO as of yet. The other adult is a parent of an under-aged boy who's a registered boy scout (12 years old), but not a crew member. He falls in with us for our activities.

Stosh