Religious Emblem

My son and 1 other scout out of 11 has earned their religious emblem for WEBELOS. I was wondering when you presented this honor to your scouts at a pack meeting what did you say? I'm having a hard time coming up with something for our CubMaster to say. Also we will have our priest present this to them at Mass and not sure what he sould say either.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Thank you.

We have the minister at their church/religious organziation present the medal at the church and we present the purple square knot at the pack meeting.

I usally say something like this. Occasionally i might involve a purple candle. Fire is good :)

We are very proud of ___________. He has worked with both his family and his religious advisor to learn more about his religious faith and his "Duty to God." After much hard work and personal growth, he has received the right to wear the religious emblem of his faith on his Scout uniform and was presented with a medal by his religious advisor ___ weeks ago. ___________, like all Scouts who have received a religious award, he may now wear Scouting's universal religious award square knot on his Scout uniform and may continue to wear it as an Boy Scout or Adult later in his life.

We now take great pleasure in presenting the religious emblem square knot to his parent(s) (or guardian(s)) in recognition of the role they have played in his religious growth. Mr. and Mrs. ___________, will you present your son with the religious emblem square knot? (Award is presented by Awards Chairman or Cubmaster)

___________, we know you will wear this square knot centered over your left pocket with pride. Congratulations on your accomplishment. You have lived the Cub Scout Oath and the Cub Scout promise well.

You may return to your seats.

If you are interested in learning more about the religious award program, please contact __________(usually it is me, but it could be a position on your committee

As for what the pastor might say, he could talk about ______ and what he has done. He might even plug the BSA and what a wonderful organization it is

I think Randy has the right idea. The religious emblems are not BSA awards...they are presented by the Scout's denomination, usually at a church service. The BSA merely approves the wearing of the award on the uniform and provides a square knot to wear in lieu of the medal, which is worn only on formal occasions.

I don't know how much of the following I actually wrote, but this is basically the award ceremony that happened at the Catholic Church I attend and that charters the pack my son was in:

Recognition of Religious Awards

February 13, 2005

Duty to God. From the first grade Tiger Cub through the fifth grade Webelos Scout, from the Tenderfoot Scout to the Eagle Scout, the Boy Scouts of America promotes and encourages a Scouts duty to God. The BSA accomplishes this through advancement requirements, the Scout Oaths, the twelfth point of the Scout Law, a Scout is reverent, and the faith based Religious Emblems program.

For Catholic Cub Scouts, there are two Religious Emblems. The first, The Light of Christ, is for 1st and 2nd grade Cub Scouts. The Light of Christ program is to help the Cub Scout develop a personal relationship with Jesus. With the parents active assistance and participation in this program, it is hoped that the Cub Scout will come to see Jesus as a real person and his friend. The second, Parvuli Dei, or Children of God, is for the older Cub Scouts in 3rd through 5th grade. It helps them explore a wide range of activities in order to discover the presence of God in their daily lives as members of their families and parishes, and also to develop a good, positive self-image through the contributions they can make to the group or community.

This morning [parish name], the chartering organization for Cub Scout Pack xyz is proud to recognize several Cub Scouts that have worked hard over the past several months to earn their Parvuli Dei religious emblem. I am going to ask each recipient to come forward, when I call his name, and remain up here until all are presented where we can then congratulate them.

We would also like to recognize [scout name], a member of Pack xyz that has earned the God and Family religious emblem of his faith. [name], would you please stand.

Would you please join me in congratulating these Scouts for the great job they have done representing Pack xyz and our parish community.

Thank you.

---

I hope this helps,

SWScouter(This message has been edited by SWScouter)

P.R.A.Y., the organization that distributes many of the booklets and awards, has a sample presentation on their web site: www.praypub.org. It is intended for use as part of a religious service, but you may be able to adapt it or some of the language for your use. Click on "God and Country" in the left frame, and then on "Sample Award Presentation Ceremony".

While you're there check out the Duty to God promotion materials. The presentation of an award to a Scout is a good time to educate parents and Scouts about the various religious awards and distribute the promotional brochures.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your help. I have one more question. Our advancment person tried to order the religious knot and they said she had to fill out a form but we dont know where to find. Does anyone know where we can get this form so the boys can ge there knot.

Thanks again everyone!

Some Scout Shops will sell you the silver on purple Youth Religious Knot without any paperwork, some require you to put the scouts name & info on a Unit Advancement Form.

Have your Advancement person give your shop a call. Your Advancement person should have advancement forms, but if not they can be found on BSA's forms page -

http://www.scouting.org/forms/34403.pdf

You should also consider purchasing Webelos knot devices. They are teenie, tiny pins that go on the knot & signify what level the award was earned in.