Selecting a Pack

My youngest is starting school in the Fall.

As we have the Loins Cubs for Kindergarden he has the opportunity to join Cubs then.

I still don't know if we are going to start him in Cubs this early yet.

Form what I have ben hearding this program isn't doing that well and I know that not all Packs are using this program yet (or even if they are going to continue with it).

The Pack that used to be in his elementary school folded a couple of years ago so I need to find a Pack to join.

Living in a very populated area there are easily 50 packs within a 20 min. radius for us.

I have heard that they are going to restart this pack with a new CO but so far its only talk and I am definitly not interested in trying to start a pack.

What would like to see in a Pack to join?

I think that the CM position would be important and needs to work well with the Cubs.

I am also considering visiting not only a monthly Pack meeting but a Pack committee meeting as well.

I think that if I had gone to a committee meeting for either of the Troops it would have given a much better idea of what the unit was like.

I know that I would like to find a Pack that actually has a commitee that functions as it should and things are not just done by one or two people.

What else would look for in a good Pack program?

Strong, trained den leaders. Whether you join with your son as a Lion or a Tiger, chances are high that there won't be a den leader in place for that group. But I'd want to see a culture of den leaders in the pack that bodes well for your son's future den.

A fun pack program that includes a mix of activities and a reasonable outdoor emphasis. Do they do summertime activities? Do they encourage scouts to do day camp and/or resident camp? Do they have any pack camp outs? Do they do some kind of local conservation or service (even if it is scouting for food, at least it is outside!) ?

Enthusiastic current leaders. Join a pack where the adults have fun working together rather than one where they're sniping at each other all the time, and you'll have more fun too (so will the boys).

Does religious affiliation matter to you? Most packs in our area at least basically ignore the religious aspect of the program - it is either done at home with "Akela" or not done at all. If that aspect matters to you, look for a pack that will emphasize your family's beliefs, probably one chartered by a religious group that you belong to.

In order of importance

A nearby pack that will make weekly/monthly meetings easy.

Kids your boy likes.

One with a Cub Master

A schedule extending at least six months out.

One that Camps twice a year or more

One that does pine wood derby

Participation in Council events

Leaders with TRAINED patch on their arm

A functioning Committee

A training Chair/Leader.

One with ties to a Boy Scout Troop

I think what you should be looking for in a good stable pack are the following.

Years Pack has been functioning

Who is the CO and is the COR active in the unit

How many dens are active and do they all meet weekly

Each Den should have at least TWO DEEP IN LEADERSHIP

All Leaders should be YPT and as said in past posts all Leaders should have Trained Patch

Monthly Leader /Committee Meetings

Good strong Committee

Passionate devoted Leader

Is CH active

Good strong camping outdoor and structured all around program.

EKM

I think what you should be looking for in a good stable pack are the following.

Years Pack has been functioning

Who is the CO and is the COR active in the unit

How many dens are active and do they all meet weekly

Each Den should have at least TWO DEEP IN LEADERSHIP

All Leaders should be YPT and as said in past posts all Leaders should have Trained Patch

Monthly Leader /Committee Meetings

Good strong Committee

Passionate devoted Leader

Is CH active

Good strong camping outdoor and structured all around program.

EKM

First, it needs to be a pack you can work with the schedule and fits your child's personality, has trained leaders, follows two deep leadership and offers all scouts an opportunity for growth. There are two pack in our small town with very different personalities that meet different nights, we recommend visiting both when a parent inquires about our pack. We also try to do activities with the other pack several time a year so kids from our school, who go to that pack and vice versa still get to see school friends who are involved in scouting and interact with them and the others.

Trained leaders and motivated parents are a big part of the program though. Visiting a committee meeting is a good idea, and i would ask a few questions

1.) Do you have problems getting volunteers?

2.) How many kids went to day camp? How many parents volunteered to help at day camp?

3.) Is there a division of responsibility between the dens so all parents/scouts are given opportunity and motivation to participate?

Being a proactive parent is the best way to ensure that your child is in a pack that "fits" and if the first pack doesn't fit, don't be afraid to try another and if it works better, fill out a transfer form. I would rather lose a scout to another pack than lose a scout to not scouting. Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to the other suggestions I would add two items: first try to see which one has the largest amount of cubs that would be in your sons school, from what I have seen, boys who are in the same Pack tend to look out for one another in school. One dad told me the story of how his son was being picked on and another cub from his den intervened helped him out.

Second. This is my personal opinion, watch out for Packs with alot of "drop off parents". You know what I mean, The best packs have families that are involved.