I'm a new CM and am trying to find ideas for the boys to do over the summer. From what I understand, last year the had a pool party and went to a minor league baseball game. We're trying to find ideas to have 2 activities each month so if they miss one they can go to the other. Any ideas would help alot. Thanks

For the larger pack have the swim parties at the public pool where there is a lifeguard. A park meeting to have the kids run around is fun too. Day camps are great especially for the over achievers they get lots of stuff done st day camp usually including the all important bb gun and archery belt loops that are only allowed to be awarded at council event. Two meetings a month is too much for the entire pack how about one pack activity per month and if a den choses it may have a meeting or activity per month.

Love your town -

Fishing derby

Local museum

Historical hike

Play soccer

A field day olympiad

Parent-scout softball/wiffle ball game

Space Derby

Raingutter Regatta

Build and hang birdhouses

Day at the zoo

Kite building/flying

Tractor pulls

Amusement park

Pack Pet show

Night hike

Water festival

Tour a hospital, police station, airport etc

Service project - park cleanup

Talent show

Scout expo for your CO

Invite a boy scout troop to put on an event

Marbles Tournament

Some local options for you...

Civil war tour

A play at Shenandoah Univ's new arts center

Disc golf at Sherando Park

Luray Caverns

Harpers Ferry

Hike on the Appalachian Trail

Washington, DC

Our Pack usually schedules one event a month during the summer. We always schedule Cub Day Camp in June which is a 5-day event in our District.

Other things to consider:

1) Baseball Game

2) Swim Party & Picnic

3) Day Hike & Picnic

4) Overnight Campout

5) Zoo or Museums

6) A Service Project in your community

We always scheduled 1 event a month for June, July, and August. We also tried to keep the cost low. In some cases the pack picked up rental shelters and hot dogs for everyone.

Items we have done over the past several years:

- Cub Scout Resident Camp (we schedule a "preferred weekend" for the pack and encourage everyone to make it. One year our pack was half the camp)

- Pizza party followed by swimming at a public pool

- Sports and games at a public park

- Picnic at a swimming beach

- Rent a school pool for 2 hours

- Pot luck picnic and activites at city park (we invited a boy scout troop to this one and the boy scouts did some demo cooking. We also made water bottle rockets and launched them)

Another thing I've done with my den is go hiking and find some geocaches. The scouts love the idea of a treasure hunt. (www.geocaching.com) (there are over 100 caches within 20 miles of your town)

Ask your scouts for some ideas - they may have an idea of something that they would enjoy that completely escapes adults.

We schedule 1 or 2 events per month. Not every family can make every event, but it keeps them thinking Cub Scouts all summer!

How about -

Bike Hike

Rocket Shoot

Minor League Baseball Game (some will have overnights on the field)

Pack Family Overnighter

Belt Loop Day

Bowling

Local Festivals

Mini-Golf

More local ideas -

Winchester Speedway Kids Nights

Soap Box Derby

Potato Chip Factory Tour

... all of the above are great ideas, here are a few that we like to toss in from time to time:

- waterblast - all comers armed with water guns and blast away (it's great with park that has a "fort" to defend). The fire truck would be invited to give the boys a talk and afterward spray them (skyward of course) with the big gun! It's great when it's 95 degrees.

- Pack's night at the movies (outdoor) ... with a project, a large white sheet, dvd player, surround sound, and Trails Ends' popcorn in the park ... great stuff! (movies like Follow Me Boys, Down and Derby, etc.)

- Overnights at the Zoo, Battleship, Botanical Garden ... providing that they have programs like this.

- Chess lesson/tournament to earn the chess belt loop and pin

- Cub Day Camp

- Pack Magic Show

- Talent Show

- RC car, boat, plane race (tend to be a few interested)

- Let's Go Fly A Kite day

- Web Aquanaut pin day where others can earn their swimming belt loop and pin

... Let your imaginations run free and look around at the resources at your disposal and ask yourself one question ... what would you like to do if you were a kid in the summer? ;)

Good luck

1Hour

Our pack has been doing a summertime program for about 4 years, it was one of the first things I started when I was asked to become CM. We do a big cookout/bridging over as our June event, along with a community parade later that month. July is another parade and some sort of "build it" activity (we have done raingutter, built a game for summer camp, made summer camp costumes, etc). August is a Resident Camp, a Fishing Derby and then our traditional "Goodbye Summer, Hello School" Bring-a-friend Ice Cream Social.

Having a variety of things going on has made it far easier for the boys to earn their Summertime Pin and to stay interested in Scouts.

YiS

Michelle

When you can't beat 'em...join the good ol' boys from Texas. I would combine OneHour's movie night with Trevorum's BBQ.

Some suggestions for your viewing pleasure...

Smoked Encounters of the Third Swine...Natural Born Grillers...Jurassic Pork...Barefoot in the Pork...

The Hogfather...Franknswine...Grills Gone Wild...

Hi Jaffolder,

I'm up I81 from you in Pack 13. Last year we had a fishing derby, went to the BalloonFest at the Martinsburg Airshow - http://www.martinsburgairshow.com/, not sure if they're doing one this year, we had a pack overnighter at The Cove next to Camp Rock Enon and we did the Junior Ranger program at Harpers Ferry.

This year we're looking at camping and hiking at Fort Frederick in Big Pool, MD. Check out the Mason-Dixon Council web site for a complete series of Cub Scout hiking trails (6 of them) including one at Antietam battlefield. We're also trying to get a good group for resident camp in June (Adventures with Tom and Huck) and the theme for Twilight Camp is Cubs in Space, ours in mid-August, don't recall when Shawnee District's is.

The Hagerstown Suns are always a good bet as is the Frederick Keys, especially if you go on a fireworks night.

Hope this helps.

John Collins

Tiger Den Leader

Pack 13

Potomac District

jaffolder-

The Scout Roundtable Podcast has a show coming out in the next week about Summer activities. We've got Cubmasters and other Scout Leaders from all over the US and Canada giving ideas and tips for planning Summer Activities. It will be show #10 and should be up March 4th or 5th. I think it would help you.

---------------------------------------------------

Cubmaster Chris

An Hour A Week? Cub Scout Podcast

http://www.cubmasterchris.com

The Scout Roundtable Podcast

http://www.scoutroundtable.net

---------------------------------------------------