Committee Meetings???

Hello I am new to scouting and new to this forum. That being said...please let me explain my problem!! I stepped up to Committee Chairperson because NO one would. I do not mind doing but I would have felt better have a year of being in Cub Scouts before stepping in to such a roll. But no one would so I felt like it was ashame for all these kids. My son is a Tiger Cub right now and it has helped him drastically. He is very shy and it is helping him come out of his shell. Okay here is my question?? We had our committee meeting last week and I have to say I was disappointed....I have belonged to clubs and organizations and this meeting was not run like a meeting that is for sure. Which I am okay with but...I was expecting hear a treasures report, old business and new business?? What is the norm for a committee meeting?? Any suggestions would be very very helpful!! As I said this is all new to me!! But I am up for the chanllenge!!!

Thanks!!

Congratulations on your new position and thank you, you are appreciated for stepping up, even if it takes a while for your pack to value your contribution.

As for how a meeting should be run... You are the Chair, you set the agenda (with input from the committee, hopefully). Send out the agenda in advance, so that everyone knows what to be prepared for (ie. the treasurer actually needs to know that they are expected to report on something).

And don't get discouraged. Remember, no one wanted the job, probably because no one set a good example of how it should be done. Set that example and get trained. You don't need to figure out how to do everything from scratch. That's what training is for, someone already figured it out and they want to share their knowledge with you.

Look in the Cub Scout leader Book for guidance on running leader meetings. The current suggested structure is not a "committee meeting", but rather a meeting of all leaders in the pack, called the monthly leaders meeting. This involves committee members, den leaders, the Cubmaster and any interested parents.

Generally, meetings have a loose structure, reviewing both program and support issues. For instance, our recent leader meeting covered the agenda of the Blue & Gold banquet; the upcoming pancake breakfast fundraiser; planning for summer camp; spring recruiting and our Centennial Quality Unit award goals.

The suggested decision-making method is consensus. Very rarely does something require a formal vote.

Certain elements should be standard, however. A treasurer's report should be presented, as should reports of subcommittee's working on upcoming events. The structure of the meeting is adapted to the needs of the unit.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions! The hard thing is that all the positions that needed filled all are Tiger Cub parents. So this is fairly new to all of us. So it is kinda nerve racking...at least for me. Not much info was passed on to me as what is going on. That is the nerve racking part. Nothing was ever said about training or anything at all. Which does not bother me but these are things that I need to know! I do understand that things are ran a little loose but it sure would be nice to know what is going on with the treasury and what not. The CM, ACM, CC, and the Treasurer are all new to this! We are all Tiger cub parents. So that really makes it hard. I just found it so sad that no one would step up to the plate. So I guess the first step is to find out about this training and what not. I will have to give our CC that is in the position until the end of this month and see if she has any info on this.

I do thank you all for everything. I have lurked around here for a little while and have learned A LOT!! Thanks

Hi there! As someone new to all of this too, I feel your anxiety.

While not the CC, I am the Secretary and Co-Treasurer, as well as the Tiger Den Leader.

We found that we had to write down our agenda because we easily get side-tracked (because we still have so much to figure out, etc.) We have combined out Committee Meetings with our Den Leader Meetings and Pack Leader Meetings (since we are the ones that show up to these). This has helped. We borrowed a copy of our PTA's agenda format and use that as a guideline. We end the meeting when we say the meeting should be ended. Period.

Figure out what is the most urgent or important things that need to be discussed or voted on. Put those first. Things that are last have as items that are minor, or will be talked in more detail and the following months' meeting.

Go to Roundtable! I can't tell you how much these have helped us!

Good luck!

I am a CC for the second time. Our monthly meeting includes all leaders - committee members and den leaders. Here is our standard agenda:

Opening (pledge and prayer)

Cubmaster's report

Registrar's report (we try to keep up-to-date to make rechartering easy)

Advancement report/logistics

Recap of prior special events (Feb mtg we reviewed good and bad points of Jan PWD)

Planning for next Pack meeting (who does what)

Update/discussion on next special events (Feb mtg we discussed details of B&G)

Treasurer's report/Fundraising

Training update (when classes are scheduled, who's completed training)

Communications (email lists)

Den reports

Troop report (from troop with same chartered org or other nearby troop)

Open adult positions

Other business

The first few meetings this year, for a brand new pack, ran long, but we can usually get through this in an hour.

Welcome Bugs !

Someplace to go for info -

http://www.scouting.org/nav/enter.jsp?s=ca

BSA Online Learning Center. The FIRST training you should take ASAP is the complete Cub Scout Fast Start for all levels. Then Youth Protection. -

http://olc.scouting.org/

Your Council's Web site -

http://www.padutchbsa.org/

Your council's Training Calendar -

http://www.padutchbsa.org/council%20training%20schedule01282007.xls

Courses you need to take are -

New Leader Essentials

Cub Scout Leader Specific for Committee Chair

If your Pack wants to go on Pack family campouts, someone needs to take BALOO training.

Since many of your Pack's leaders are new, contact your District Training Chair to see if the training can be brought to your Pack so that everyone can get trained at the dame time.

Hope this helps!(This message has been edited by ScoutNut)

Hey Bugs!

I know how you feel. I am the Committee Chairman for our Troop. When I first joined the Troop, I was asked (for what reason I'm still not clear) to take over for the outgoing CC.

One thing I have learned is that as Committee Chair, your committee looks to you for leadership. These are going to likely be pretty good adults who share a common goal and set of values. If something just doesn't seem right, then change it. Especially if it has to do with how the Committee meeting is flowing. That is your primary job. Run it however you are comfortable with running it. There are many posts to your thread with some great resources. Take advantage of them, then run your committee how you want to run it.

The good thing about all of the committee members being Tiger Parents is that you will probably work with them for several years and you willl likely get alot of things done while you are in the Pack.

Good Luck! Have Fun!

-AD

Welcome Bugs!

You have gotten some good advise above.

I have found, after 6 years as CC in a Pack and Troop, that a good way to organize the committee agenda is to list the positions of the people who will be doing the reporting. This way, the focus is on the people who have volunteered to do the various jobs in the Pack or Troop. Each person in each position can report at each meeting. I always list all the positions for every meeting, and then list specific projects or action items under each position to help us remember specific items that need to be covered at the meeting. By listing every position on every agenda, the people in those positions know that they always have a place on the agenda. If they cant come to a particular meeting, they either call someone else to give a report, or we may need to skip the item until the next meeting. I always make sure we have a treasurers report, one way or another. We currently have the best treasurer in the world and she always sends several reports even for the few meetings she has had to miss. I always make sure that the Scoutmaster can come to the meeting. If he cant come (which hasnt happened yet) the meeting needs to be rescheduled. If the head program person (SM or Cubmaster) cant attend, the meeting becomes only a business meeting, which is almost pointless. This meeting is primarily about supporting the Scouting program in a Pack or Troop. The Scoutmaster or Cubmaster needs to be there.

Since you are in a rebuilding stage now, you and the other leaders will want to recruit adults to fill all the committee positions. I always invite all adults to come to all the committee meetings. We also call them leader meetings, alternately, to help make it clear that all the leaders are always welcome. We hardly ever vote on anything, unless it has to do with spending a lot of money. We use a consensus-building model. The traditional "committee" model hasn't worked, because the group inevitably gets bogged down in the question of who has the right to vote. Once the group of adults gets comfortable working together, the consensus-building process gets easier. As time has past and the people in the committee positions have become more comfortable with their jobs, and better trained, the other adults start to trust the leaders more, and the committee meetings actually become meetings of those leaders who have volunteered to fill the committee positions. Now you have a real "committee" in place, but this can take a long time to devolop. One or two other adults may attend the meetings from time to time. Our meetings used to last an hour and a half, but now are usually closer to an hour. The secretary always writes minutes. These are distributed to all troop adults by email.

Here is a typical agenda for a Troop Committee (Leaders') meeting. These can be done in just about any order. I used to always do them in the same order, until the committee finally asked if we could please mix them up.

Call to order and introductions

Secretarys Report

Treasurers Report

Scoutmasters Report

Outdoor/Activities Coordinator Report

Advancement Coordinator Report

Chaplains Report

Training Coordinator Report

Equipment Coordinator Report

Membership Coordinator Report

Friends of Scouting Coordinator Report (this is not an official position, but should be)

Date of Next Meeting

Adjourn

This agenda model has been successful. We also will have adults who volunteer for one major project a year such as popcorn sales coordinator or annual picnic coordinator. In a Pack this could be a Blue and Gold Dinner coordinator or a Pinewood Derby coordinator. These adults come to meetings at the appropriate times of the year to report to the whole committee.

This, or course, sounds like a lot of business. But the purpose is to help everyone have fun in Scouting.

Now its time to go camping or go to your sons den meeting.

I just looked this up for another list, so thought I'd post it here too:

This is from the 2005 printing of the CS Leader Book (p. 24-6):

Parts of a Pack Leaders' Meeting

1. Evaluating the previous month

2. Finalizing the current month

3. Planning ahead

4. Unit Leadership Enhancements

5. Social time and fellowship

Part 1: Evaluating the Previous Month:

- The pack committee chair calls the meeting to order

- The Cubmaster reviews the previous month's den and pack meeting activities and asks for comments and suggestions. This evaluation will help with planning the upcoming month.

Part 2: Finalizing the upcoming month:

- The Cubmaster confirms assignments for the current month's pack meeting.

- Special committees report on plans for the current month's pack meeting or special event.

- Den leaders turn in advancement reports to the person responsible for obtaining awards for the next pack meeting.

- Den leaders turn over den dues to the pack treasurer and receive a receipt.

Part 3: Planning ahead:

- The pack committee chair leads a general discussion about the upcoming month's den and pack meetings.

- The Cubmaster comments on the next month's theme and activity badges and confirms assingments concerning den participation in next month's pack meeting.

- Special committees report on plans for the upcoming pack meeting or special events for the upcoming month.

- Den leaders report on their den meeting plans for the upcoming month.

- Activity badge counselors report on projects planned for next month's activity badges.

- The pack committee chair reports on pack needs, problems,and progress.

- The pack committee completes plans such as organization of new dens, pack-troop relations, financial matters, improving familiy participation, etc.

Part 4: Unit Leadership enhancements:

As part of the regular new business items at one or more monthly pack leaders' meetings, include one of the Unit Leadership Enhancement topics. See Chapter 28, "Unit Leadership Enhancements," for detailed information on these short, informative training sessions for pack leaders.

Part 5: Social Time and Fellowship

At the end of the pack leaders' meeting, allow time for leaders to enjoy refreshments and fellowship. (Anyone who needs to leave, however, should feel free to do so.)

End result

Holding regular, well-planned monthly pack leaders' meetings

- Saves leaders time. Instead of extra phoning, meeting at the last minute and struggling to sort out details, one meeting a month takes care of many details at one time.

- Encourages teamwork and is an efficient way to pool talent. When all leaders are brought together regularly, abilities and talents can be exchanged in a way that could no otherwise be achieved.

- Provides in-service training with new ideas for all leaders. Time is available for leaders to share problems and learn new techniques.

- Makes the pack strong and healthy by involving the leaders in the palns and using their help to implement the program.

• 2 months later...

Welcome to the force Bugs,

In my opinion leader/committee meetings are really one and the same. First let me state that I am the CM going on 5 years and my wife is the CC going on 3 years. This works out better than most would expect because the CM and the CC should work in concert with each other and have a good understanding of each other also. We do not have any children in the Pack. Our son is in BS.

Our L/C meetings are some what structured; basically we start with the agenda for the next pack night. We run though the entire pack night. I tell everyone what I would like to be done from start to finish.

At this point I open the P/N agenda up for discussion and it is tweaked out to the way we all see fit. Once that is done we move on to finances. The treasurer updates us as to the monies and we discuss fundraising. We are also at the same time talking about what the money is going to be spent on, any trips that have been planned or future fundraising. All dues and monies are handed out or in and all receipts are also handed in. Once this is completed the treasurer can leave is she would like. All this usually takes about an hour or so.

We than have our old news and new news the old stuff is relatively short the new stuff takes a lot longer. This could include anything from someone not being able to make a meeting to an out of control child and anything in between. Sometimes a leader will want to run something by the rest of the leaders or myself, but this rarely happens.

We also have coffee and cake put out at the beginning of the meeting for anyone who wants. At this time we all do something that is not usually done. We have our **** ing time meaning if someone has a problem with another leader or is not comfortable with something now is the time to air it out. This works great for us for a couple of reasons 1) we all have alpha personalities 2) we are all aggressive and passionate about the scouting program and 3) we all know that this is solely for the boys and nothing else.

My wife and I have two rules that are always up held at our meetings 1) When you come to the meeting you leave your ego outside. 2) All arguments are settled and no one leaves the meeting mad at another person. If these rules are followed we never have any problems.

I am not saying that this is the way things are to be run but they work for us. Enjoy your ride it will be a fulfilling one that you will not regret. I know that my wife and I have not.

EKM

• 1 month later...

As somebody pointed out, if you are the committee chairman, it's your meeting. So, it's up to you whether or not there's an agenda, how votes will be taken, etc., unless such things are stipulated in your bylaws.

The more formal meetings that you had past experience with probably followed some form of parliamentary procedure, the customary body of rules that govern how "deliberative bodies" conduct business in an orderly fashion. When you are in such a meeting, decisions are generally not made without a motion being made, seconded, discussed, and voted upon. Parliamentary procedure is what make's democracy possible.

As somebody else pointed out, informal meetings may make decisions more by consensus. However, if you have a group of people who have a hard time getting along, consensus may be impossible and you may have to take a vote. Also, any time you are voting to choose a member to honor in some way, you will want a secret ballot.

In any case, don't let anybody tell you it is "wrong" if you want your meetings to be more formal. You may even decide to run your meetings based on Robert's Rules of Order. As the chairperson, you don't have to ask anybody's permission to do so. However, you should not expect everybody to know all those rules.

The BSA does not push the use of parliamentary procedure, although boy scouts may learn about it as part of the public speaking merit badge, and I believe it is also discussed in the Venturing leader's manual.

It would be a good idea to check out your Council's website frequently. As a former Pack CC, this was invaluable to me in keeping up to date with Council events. You'll want to be sure to give dates and other info. for all Council events that relate to your Pack.

My other advice is to run the meetings in the way that is most comfortable for you. I tried to leave room after each item on my agendas, for people to take notes. If you are really organized, you could e-mail your agenda to all attendees a day or two before the meeting. I only managed to do this a few times, but it did speed up the meeting, as everyone had a chance to think about the items ahead of time.

Good Luck, try to have fun, and give yourself a BIG pat on the back for stepping up to do this for your son!

Welcome to your position. I would suggest contacting your District Executive (DE for short) and get the name and contact info for your Unit Commisioner.

Make sure you have on hand and have read "Health and Safety Guide" and "Guide to Safe Scouting." Hopefully these are in the pack library if not pick up at your local scout store. Pick up a Council calendar for the up coming months it should list training dates.

Roundtables are adult meetings within you district where you can network with other (possible more experienced cc's cubmasters etc) cub leaders. Maybe find a mentor there.

Is it possible that your pack has a big brother troop? Maybe some help will be available there?

Would your charter organization have any active/retired scouters for guidence?

Always remember it's for the boys.

Best Wishes to you and your pack

Kbandit

P.S. this is a great site for opinions. Ask away.

Hi Bugs,

Welcome and thank you for serving! I too am a committee chair.

I send out an adjenda a week in advance, that way if someone is too busy to report to the meetings they can email me their report to be read. Minutes are then posted on our pack website.

We had a struggle at first in my pack because no one knew their jobs - including myself. After filling most of the committee positions we all went through most of training together so we were on the same page with each other and with BSA.

You have to set the tone for the group. It's like being a manager to ensure follow through. We do attendance, past events review(last month), future events, reports from committee positions, cub master - pack meeting, around the table comments.

Our committee has grown over the years - we have fun and enjoy each other without ego's getting in the way. My only rule is that each den have at least one representative. Parents interchage with each other. Started with only five showing up and now have twenty five regularly. Meeting lasts less than an hour, the social time after usually lasts two more hours. Parents are having as much fun or more than the boys.

Enjoy your new role - the friendships I have made in 3 years of scouting, I treasure.