Heelys - Shoes with a wheel in the heel

One of my own sons has a pair of Heelys. Well, "had" a pair, because we took them from him when he rolled down a driveway and crashed, spraining his ankle. He has yet to get them back.

Two boys in my den have them, and I simply ask them to remove the wheels when they come into our meeting. We don't have a Pack-wide policy on them, but I and a few other leaders have had to stop the kids from rolling around and banging into people at pack meetings. The parents have caught on... last 2 pack meetings, no Heelys.

One popluar place to find kids with them... hockey rinks! Parents think Junior will be fine in them, "he can skate, right?" but there are at least 2 rinks where my kids play that have banned them.

EL

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yah, what is it with old people always tryin' to ban anything that was invented after they were kids? Almost makes me ashamed of my (few remainin') grey hairs.

I have several scars from ridin' a bicycle when I was a lad. My parents never took my bicycle away.

Teach Children. Banning things is the lazy way.

It's also not the best citizenship lesson for preservin' a free society, eh?

For some reason I don't like the things at all and neither do my sons. They need a bit of maintenance also.

I don't know why they aren't banned but should be. The comparison that could be used is would a Pack allow bicycles, skateboards and roller blades at meetings. Maybe they don't want to be hard on people.

The troop (older son) has a written rule. The church doesn't permit them either.

We've had them in the Pack for several years. I'm convinced that at least two boys don't own anything but them.

I'm the Cubmaster and I set the standards for the meetings. My rule is that you can use them outside in a responsible manner but you walk inside the room.

I also have two boys (brothers) who would rather be barefoot than heeled. I require them to wear footwear to all meetings.

None of this is in a policy. I set the standard and I don't talk to the parents about it, I take my request directly to the boys regardless if the parent is standing next to them.

Some things are allowed and some things are not. Any parent is allowed to discuss their issues with me and I will consider other viewpoints, but the final decision is mine. It may seem unfair sometimes, but I wear the blue and silver patch on my uniform and am the "Pack Program Executive."

Have not had a problem yet.

CMM

Had 2 Scouts at last night's meeting with Heelys. While I think they're OK for outdoor fun, I don't want them rolling around indoors. But, taking a cue from the wisdom here on the forum and resisting outright banning them, I had a chat with the fellows.

I asked if they thought it would be OK to skateboard in the building. "No," they said. I asked if they thought it would be OK to rollerblade in the building. "No," they said.

"But Mrs. B.," one of the guys in all seriousness said, "these are different, the wheels are built in."

Where do you stop banning. I had to treat a kid at school the other morning. He had on shoes that were not tied and in order to walk and keep them on he had to slide his feet. Lots of the kids are wearing their shoes the same way. He was sliding his feet across the dirt in front of the school and managed to stab a pencil through the bottom of his shoe into his foot about 1.5" deep. I helped him to the office. The nurse wasn't going to be there until late so the principle ask me if I had my first aid kit with me. (she knows me well) I treated the kid and recommended that the contact his parents and let them take him to the Dr. Had his shoes been tied and actually fit his feet this probably wouldn't have happened.

If we start banning things like shoes, pants that are to big and hang below the crotch then where to we stop. Banning orange shirts. Our school already bans any solid colored tee shirt because of "gang colors" As far as I am concerned lets go to uniforms.

Last night, husband and I met for an adult beverage after work at a local chain restaurant/bar. Just behind us was a family with two young girls. The girls were wearing heelys and rolling all around the restaurant while their parents enjoyed their meal.

Oh good grief!!!

Bevah makes a good point. We should be teaching kids! But the problem isn't always the kids. A lot of the time it's the kids parents.

Heelys have no place in Pack meetings, Troop meetings, campouts, church, school. And if it takes a ban so be it. Kids can learn from bans, too.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

Heelys have no place in Pack meetings, Troop meetings, campouts, church, school.

Yah, I dunno. I can think of some really fun opening games for a troop meetin' that use wheeled shoes ;). Some of our OA boys tell me that they're a great way to navigate our big local high school, and the school doesn't have a rule (yet!) other than be courteous and walk down stairs.

Yah, I can't see 'em in church. Too much temptation to use 'em to escape a dull sermon ;). Why not on campouts, Ed? How's it any different from bringin' a Frisbee or any other small game (other than we didn't have 'em when we were growin' up)?

Why not campouts? Scout aged boys have enough trouble waling around campsites let alone rolling. And I don't imagine these Heelys role very well in the dirt & mud.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

We were at a B&G last week and one of the Webelos was cruisin around on a pair of Heelys. Our SPL can not stand them. He pulled the boy aside and asked if he planned on crossing over. He explained that boy Scouts were more mature and don't wear heelys and that they were not god for that 5 mile hike. Asked the boy not to wear them to meetings or campouts. Case closed.

• 2 weeks later...

These Heelys are simply not aloud at any of my Pack, Den, or scout related function. All of the parents know this as do the children.

There is a time and a place for everything and skating around a gym or cafe. or a B&G is not acceptable. All you need is for one child to get hurt and its all over.

I am all for haveing fun but at the proper time and place. Would you let your Scout bring their Game Boys to A meeting. Or a test at school

There is a saftey issue here that needs to be addressed and we as Leaders need to uphold a certaint level of safety at our meetings.

I was glad I had read through this thread, because prior to its posting, Heelies had not been on my radar screen. My three boys have never asked for them, so I was aware of them. But because of this thread, I took action when some of my Cubs were zipping around the gym before our meeting started.

I asked one of the Webelos what the school's policy was on Heelies in the gym. He said that they aren't allowed in the gym or anywhere in school. So I made an announcement last night, "Since the school does not allow Heelies in the gym during the school day, our pack will not allow them in the gym during the meeting."

I only had to give two reminders last night--a very simple, "Gentlemen, no Heelies. Thank you." And the wheels went away.

ElizabethJ

Cubmaster, Pack 9