Minimum time to achieve Eagle Scout rank

About a month or so ago I found a website that listed the history of the minimum time required by BSA requirements to achieve the Eagle rank. Silly me didn't save the link and now I can't find it again. Does anyone know what the website is?

I don't know of the website, however, it takes 1 month to earn tenderfoot, 4 months to earn star, and 6 for life and eagle. Thats a total of 1 year, 5 months. I hope that helped.

Spork, You forgot a couple ranks didn'yt you?

I agree that it takes a minimum of thirty days to earn Tenderfoot. If you go by the average of troops going on one overnight a month, would take two months to get to Second Class and another three to get to First Class. However because of the number of extra troop or patrol events needed to achieve First Class it is unlikely that it would be completed in under 9 months. Then as you pointed out a year and 4 months minimum to Eagle. So a real aggressive scout could possibbly make Eagle in 1 year and 10 months. Given that the minimum joining age is 10 1/2 It is technically possible to get to Eagle in 1 year and ten months or at age 12 and 3 months, but it is very unlikely . There are however a number of boys each year who earn Eagle while they are 13.

Bob White

I had rembered seeing several web pages on this when my son was younger and was on his way to eagle and his scoutmaster told he was too young. He began to search for info on young eagle scouts, one he found was life to eagle in 18 months. I did not find this one now but I did find: --correction--

http://ourworld.compuserv.com/homepage/PVoelker/TopTen.htm

I Don't sound off much about this stuff.

BUT is there a race I was not made aware of.

I am just trying to think of what good does it

do if a boy blasts through the program and all the required Merit Badges to achieve Eagle so fast "Does he really learn..??"

or is it best to follow the norm when

achieving these things.

I personally am disturbed by the "race" to get Eagle so young. The point of Scouting is learning, something I do not feel is accomplished by young Eagles. A 16-year-old Eagle is worth a dozen 12- or 13- year old Eagles in my book.

If the boy completes the requirements in the minimum time, then he deserves it! I got my Eagle when I was 15, and I was a "late bloomer" in my troop. I think getting Eagle at ANY age shows that the youth is bound for greatness in life.

A 16-year-old Eagle is worth a dozen 12- or 13- year old Eagles in my book.

Interestingly, I have found almost the opposite to be true. In my troop, it has been my observation that the younger Eagles (15 and under) take the program more seriously, and participate in Scouting longer and more earnestly. The older Eagles (16 and older), while still very worthy and likable, tend not to be as dedicated. Of course, my older son was the exception (he got his at 16). :) Many of these boys stopped participating in Scouting (sometimes for more than a year) and then came back to get their Eagle as an apparent afterthought. It was like, "Gee, I'm going to graduate soon...I'm Life (or Star) and there's only six more badges to earn...I'm going to get Eagle and put it on my resume". I don't know what these boys were actually thinking, but I don't see the same fire that these younger Eagles show. I've discovered that the younger they are, the more they seem to treasure and appreciate the honor. As for their learning ability, that appears to be different with each Scout. I've known some 13-year old boys that impressed me as much or more than most 18-year olds. Also, it really bothers me when these last minute Eagles don't have their acts together. There's a lot of pressure on the SM, merit badge counselors, and committee members to get him through. There's no time for course adjustments. These leaders must either make an extremely difficult decision or "push" someone through that's not necessarily giving their all. We all like to believe this doesn't happen. Alas, one does have strong suspicions when a boy earns 4 to 6 badges in four months and completes his project just days before his eighteenth birthday. Also, many times these boys are not participating on outings, or even showing up for troop meetings. Just when they should be trumpeted as the example (i.e., "Follow John's leadHe knows what he's doingHe'll be an Eagle in a few months."), these kids can hardly be found. So, I have to wonderwhy put down the younger boy?

I'd rather have a dozen 13- and 14-year old Eagles than a dozen last minute Eagles. On the other hand, if they drop out after they get Eagle, then those young boys won't help your troop much. I haven't seen that happen though. JMHO.

(This message has been edited by Rooster7)

• Like 1

I have read (sorry I dont' have the reference) that the adverage age for Eagle Scout is 14 years 8 months. Yes, I think most young eagles stay more active in scouting. Now I am not suggesting that we should try to encourage younger scouts to rush, but when I see 13 and 14 year olds with 2x the experience as the 17+ who come back to finish eagle, I agree with National policy. They should be Eagle Scouts and join a Venture Crew.

Rooster7 & Dan

I do agree that ability over age must be considered, and 15 is not to young. But unless the boy is a real exception and 110% dedicated I just don't see how he can really accomplish what is needed and really grasp a full knowledge of all the requirements for the ranks and MB's. My son will be getting his 1st class soon and has started thinking of his trail to eagle. I know with his abilities (time requirements aside) he could complete all the requirements in a year. But after listing all his needed requirements and talking with him, he understands that enjoying his accomplishments at a moderate pace would be better then rushing through them.

We have an aggressive troop program, Camping every month, MB councilors within the troop that cover all the required, the resources are there. and again I ask "Whats the Hurry" does getting Eagle at 13 - 14 make the scouting experience more enjoyable ?????.

jethehiker and slontwovvy,

There is no race...there is not even a specific scout. Read the original post, there was a question asked as to the history of the program and the minimum required time to reach Eagle. No matter what the requirements might be at some point there is a measure of minimum time. It has changed slightly over the years. We were just replying to the question there was no insinuation or suggestion of a race.(This message has been edited by Bob White)