As an Eagle Scout myself, and a professional scouter, I have to agree with Bob White. The board of review decides wether or not the candidate should advance.

I also would like to point out only one side of the story is being represented here. To get to life Scout, you must pass several boards of reveiw to verify you are ready to advance. On the other hand, Boy Scout Advancement Policies are an imperfect system in an imperfect world. There are holes in the system. For example, Just the other day I recieved a call from a concerned Scoutmaster. A Life Scout had just transferred into his troop with all of his merit badges and rank advancements signed off by his former scoutmaster...his mother. This is kid who has been sent home from multiple campouts becuase he is homesick.

I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong...I'm just saying there's another side to this story that hasent been heard.

"1. If he was elected or appointed to a leadership position and held it for 6 months it counts whether he did anything or not"

Now that just makes no sense at all. Johnny the Slug takes a job, doesn't do squat and then get rewarded for his lack of performance. Sorry but that dog don't hunt.

Not knowing the scout in question or the history of his journey through scouting I have an interesting reaction to this issue. The troop that i am involved with is ging through a philosphy change with the new adult leadership. Similar issues are being brought up concerning older scouts going for their eagle. The new leaderships stance is that since the boys have not shown leadership during their tenure (sports, music, work and older scout type activities) is that they should not and have not earned their eagle. These scouts have paid their dues in years past and I am happy that they are 'staying around' to complete their journey through scouting. Know how to make an animal mean and distrustful? Hang a reward just out of their reach for years and then after they have done all what was required of them over all this time take,or deny them the reward. Pass on through this and endevour to prevent this situation from happening again. Present the award, hope for the best and try to prevent a repeat of the situation.

"1. If he was elected or appointed to a leadership position and held it for 6 months it counts whether he did anything or not"

A note to anyone who feels this is what the requirement states, Please read the handbook again. The requirement is not to hold an office. The requirement says to "serve actively". There is a distinct difference.

Bob White

The number of hours does not make a project acceptable or not. It would be easy to drag out a project. He will do a lot of the manhours but in the resourcing, planning and leading. The muscle of the project should come from his help with his guidance and direction.

Outside-troop-leadership roles are good for being a community leader but not for the scouts. I think the board will see this as a positive. If he didn't live up to expectations during his leadership role, he most likely fell under the ASPL. Troop JLT should have helped in expectations if conducted.

It sounds like the scout had scout spirit, being on camp staff, and still sticking with it and not quitting. He may not feel connected with the scouts if there is a large age gap. I don't know where he stands in maturity, hangs with the adults or a hero to the younger ones. It seems like you are holding his past few months, maybe longer as how he is as a total scout. The board will look as his whole scouting time, even cubs and the arrow of light. Don't write him off as being a poor scout because he has some personal struggles going on. Teenagers have a million, with two teen boys/scouts, I know. We all go through slumps and pull out of it. At least he is still with the program, after putting up with this fight. Sounds like you may have the problem. One voice does not get to make the decision.

As for the Dad/Eagle. He is caught in the fight and on the scout's/son's side of course. Someone like the advancement chair should remind him of the requirements. Back off and let it come from another source. Seems like you are at a stale-mate with this one.

Bottom line: The board is pretty good at seeing through eye-wash and looks at the total scout.