Did I miss a change?

I was DL last year for a mixed Wolf/Bear Den. This year I'm the WDL and CM (again - and no, this isn't to debate 2 hats). This year's Wolf DL intends to count unused parts of Wolf achievements towards arrow points. I don't believe he can do that, but his training is from September and mine is from a couple of years ago. I'm thinking he confused the Wolf and Bear stands on unused achievements but am looking for some confirmation. He is a 1st year leader, so he may have gotten confused. On the other hand I am an experienced leader and my training may be out of date.

I'm not trying to be a member of the Advancement Police. I'm just trying to stay up to date on any changes I may have inadvertently missed.

Thanks for your help

YiS

Michelle

Michelle I don't think you missed anything. Looking at the USScouts site re: wolf and bear electives, I notice that the bear section specifically indicates that one may count unused portions of the bear achievements as electives, and that this is different from what happens in previous ranks. For wolf, meanwhile, it simply discusses the electives listed in the back of the wolf book. I notice that both the wolf and bear elective discussions were updated in April 2006 so I have every reason to believe this is accurate (though of course the most current book is the final word on the subject).

Here's the link to the bear elective coverage on the USScouts website:

http://usscouts.org/advance/cubscout/beararrow.html

And here's the wolf elective link:

http://usscouts.org/advance/cubscout/wolfarrow.html

If in doubt, contact your district's cub training chairperson and ask them. This assumes, of course, that they are a good resource and have kept current on these matters!

Pretty much what Lisa said.

My now Eagle was a Bear in 1998/1999. Even then, he got to draw Electives from the "other 12" Achievements.

Our Council also gives out a special "Bear Claw" award, where a Commissioner comes and makes special over a Scout who completes all 24 Achievements.

We also use the Webelos Twentier patch, for a Web who does all twenty of his units.

After having been an advancement chair for a whole year I discovered that that there are quite a few ways to read the book.

For Wolf all 12 achievements are required for the badge, so there would be no unused ones. The book does says an arrow for every 10 earn in the Elective section. The book does not say anything about unused parts of achievements but I would suspect that in the absence of a rule we should not make up our own.

For Bear 12 of the 24 achievements are required for the badge, so there would be 12 unused ones. But the book does say "Unused parts of achievements that were used for the Bear badge may NOT be counted toward Arrow Points". So by doing an achievement for the badge, the other easy ones of the same achievement are locked out.

Thanks all for the help. I try to stay up on changes going on so I was reasonably sure I hadn't missed a change but was willing to be re-educated if I had.

As for the suggestion about Pack Trainer/UC - we don't have a PT and in the 7 years I've been involved in this pack in various positions I have yet to even hear the name of our UC mentioned, let alone ever meet him/her. Hmmm.....now I'm curious to find out who it is...I know our DE and DC but not our UC....

Ah well

Again - thanks for all the help

YiS

Michelle