Help...they want me to be Cubmaster!

Our Cubmaster is stepping down, and last night before Pack Meeting, the Advancement Chair approached me and asked me if I would consider taking over as Cubmaster.

I'm incredibly honored to be asked. We have such fantastic boys in our pack, and to be asked to serve that kind of role in their lives absolutely humbles me. I'm also a little terrified. I'm brand new to this, with just my one little Tiger Cub. Currently, I'm the Assistant Den Leader for the Tiger Cub den.

Oh...did I mention that we have one of the largest packs in our council?

What would this entail? In the real world, I mean. I believe that in theory, the main function of the Cubmaster is to run pack meetings, but I know that there usually ends up being more to it than that. Would it potentially interfere with my direct involvement in my son's scouting experience, and in his den?

Thanks!

- Two Sirius

Congratulations - I have been having a lot of fun with the Cubmaster role. I was asked to be CM while my son was a tiger as well, and he's going to cross over this February.

Things I would have done differently:

1) Be the cubmaster, not the cubmaster, den leader, popcorn chair, etc.

2) Keep the ACM more involved

3) Consider limiting my time to 3 years instead of going 4

4) Not tried to be the cubmaster before me

Things I would not have changed:

1) Adding my bit of zaniness to the pack meetings

2) Doing what I feel is best for the pack

3) Having fun

Each person will bring their own unique qualifications to the position. Don't try and do what previous cubmaster did. You're you, and not them. I tried to do that my first year - it felt flat. When I started adding my personality to what I did, the meetings became a lot more fun - not only for me, but for the scouts as well.

All the best,

Tom

"I believe that in theory, the main function of the Cubmaster is to run pack meetings, but I know that there usually ends up being more to it than that."

It depends largely on your Pack. You said that you are in one of the largest Packs in your council, hopefully that also means that you have a full, functioning Committee. With a decent Committee, including a Committee Chair (CC), Charter Organization Rep (COR), Advancement Chair, Treasurer, Fundraising Chair, BALOO, Outings Chair, etc, etc, who are all doing their jobs, the only job you should have to do is Cubmaster (CM).

"Would it potentially interfere with my direct involvement in my son's scouting experience, and in his den?"

Yes. You can only be registered in one position at a time. You can either be the registered CM or a registered DL, not both. It really does a disservice to both positions to try to do them at the same time. Currently you are both a Tiger Partner & an Asst Den Leader. In my opinion, being your son's Tiger Partner is the most important thing you are doing right now.

Is the CM stepping down immediately? With such a large Pack, there is no Asst CM? You should have a get together & talk to your CC & COR. They are the people in charge of "hiring" new leaders. Find out what their expectations are & when they would want you to take over. If at all possible, waiting until the end of this Tiger year would be better. As Tiger Partner you are supposed to be with your son, and PARTICIPATING alongside him in everything he does. Or, as I like to tell my Tiger Partners, "stuck like glue"! That will be very hard to do if you are also CM. My CM's wife took on the role of Tiger Partner for their sons.

Other things to consider - Your den will need to find a new Asst Den Leader for next year. You will need to take Cubmaster Specific training ASAP. Hopefully you have already gone thru the entire Fast Start, including the CM portion.

Good Luck! In the end the decision is one only you can make.

BTW - Here is the BSA job description for CM -

Conduct a pack program according to the policies of the BSA.

Complete Cubmaster Fast Start Training and position-specific Basic Leader Training. Attend monthly roundtables.

Plan and help carry out the Cub Scout program in the pack. This includes leading the monthly pack meeting, with the help of other leaders.

Help the pack committee with a year-round recruitment plan for recruiting boys into Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouting, and Webelos Scouting.

Know about and use the appropriate and available literature, including Boys' Life and Scouting magazines, Cub Scout Program Helps, and the Webelos Leader Guide.

See that the pack program, leaders, and Cub Scouts positively reflect the interests and objectives of the chartered organization and the BSA.

Work with the pack committee on (1) program ideas, (2) selecting and recruiting adult leaders, and (3) establishing a budget plan.

Guide and support den leaders. See that they receive the required training for their positions.

Help organize Webelos dens and encourage graduation into a Boy Scout troop.

Help establish and maintain good relationships with Boy Scout troops.

Maintain good relationships with parents and guardians. Seek their support and include them in activities. Involve male relatives such as uncles and grandfathers so that Cub Scouts will have additional male role models.

See that Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts receive a quality, year-round program filled with fun and activities that qualify the dens and pack for the National Summertime Pack Award.

Guide Cub Scouts in goodwill and conservation projects.

See that the responsibilities specified for the assistant Cubmaster are carried out.

Help the pack committee chair conduct the annual pack program planning conference and the monthly pack leaders' meetings.

Work as a team with the pack committee chair to cultivate, educate, and motivate all pack leaders and parents or guardians in Cub Scouting.

Take part in the charter review meeting and annual charter presentation ceremony.

Request den chiefs for all dens and, after selection, see that they are trained. Recognize the den chiefs at pack meetings.

Conduct an impressive graduation ceremony for Tiger Cubs.

Meet with the unit commissioner, Webelos den leader, and Scoutmaster to establish plans for the Webelos Scouts' transition to Boy Scouting.

Help plan and conduct impressive Webelos graduation ceremonies involving parents and guardians, the Scoutmaster, the Webelos den chief, the Webelos den leader, and the troop junior leaders.

Conduct impressive Arrow of Light Award ceremonies.

Encourage high advancement standards for all Cub Scouts.

Help bring families together at joint activities for Webelos dens (or packs) and Boy Scout troops.

Support the policies of the BSA.

(This message has been edited by ScoutNut)

I'm in a similar position to Two Sirius, my CM is planning on stepping down in a year when his youngest crosses over. He suggested that I consider stepping up to CM next year with him as the Assistant. I've been mulling it over, currently I'm one of three Tiger Den Leaders and I am having a lot of fun with that.

So this morning I asked my son over breakfast about this (we'd been discussing last night's pack meeting and talking about PWD, etc.) His comment was that he would rather have me be his Wolf DL, Bear DL and Webelos DL than become the CM. Of course he restated his desire to quit after he finished Webelos because he doesn't want to be a "real Eagle Scout." I hid a smile as I acknowledged his statement, but I have a feeling he'll cross over and have a great time. If he makes Eagle, even better, but it will be his decision not mine.

Based on my son's desire for me to continue as his DL I will probably pass on the CM position this time around, gain some more experience to include day camps, etc. and then offer to step up when he becomes a Bear and realizes that it's not always fun having Dad around.

Good luck with your decision Two Sirius, I think there have been some great points made here, especially the one about only being the CM and nothing else. I wouldn't want to have to juggle a Den and the Pack, both will suffer.

John

Training Training Training

I am surprised no one has mentioned this (beyond ScoutNut's small mention)

If you are new at this stuff and only have experience as an assistant Tiger Den Leader, you will need to do first what ScoutNut already mentioned, Fast Start and Leader Specific training for Cubmasters (usually presented in Leader Basic Trainings). Additionally, I highly recommend taking a Wood Badge course in the near future. As a Cubmaster, you will have to deal with many people; including parents, other pack leaders, your Charter Rep, and the boys. Wood Badge gives you invaluable people skills which you will need. In addition to formal trainings, be sure to attend Roundtable every month. Cub Scout Roundtable provides assistance specifically for the Cub Program. It is usually presented in a fun way and promotes creativity and is a fountain of great ideas for leaders.

Oh yes... Get yourself a copy of the Cub Scout Leader book and read it from cover to cover. Not only do you need to know the responsibilities of the Cubmaster, but I found it extremely helpful when I was Cubmaster to know the responsibilities of all other positions in Cub Scouts. The Cub Leader book details these positions very well.

Get to know your District and Local Council leaders. They can be very helpful and, at the very least, can provide contacts and other resources to help you.

Also, you mentioned that you have quite a large pack, in terms of number of boys. In this case I would strongly recommend having a minimum of 2 Assistant Cubmasters - probably more like 3 ACMs. This will make your job alot easier (and keep you sane).

I echo Trevorum's comment as well. Most of all, like we always tell the boys, have fun being a Cubmaster! It is the best job in Cubs. KIS - MIF

I almost forgot

This is the Virtual Cub Scout Leader's Handbook online.

http://www.geocities.com/~Pack215/

I wouldn't use it as a substitute for the actual Cub Scout Leader's Handbook, but it is a great resource. It is kept up to date and has tons of great info.

Eagle Pete(This message has been edited by eagle-pete)

Since training can't be stressed enough - don't delay getting CM training.

I was CM for 3 years, took a year off from it (to run a Wolf/Bear combo den) and am back as CM again. Something I found useful to me was not just taking CM training but taking the fast start training for all levels of Cub Scout leadership, including Committee. Having an idea of what was expected of the other leaders made me feel better prepared to do my job.

What does it entail? The CM is the MC (read that emcee) for Pack meetings and gatherings. Once a month or so you get up in front of everybody, conducting (with lots of input and help from the dens) the monthly meeting. You act silly in front of your boys (elf hat and shoes for last weeks meeting), you lead songs, are the butt of jokes (Have you ever seen a windbag?), you look for exciting ways to present badges of rank. You also get misty eyed when you read that one of your boys has lost his mother 2 weeks before his birthday, or another tells you that the dvd you made them brought tears to his eyes because it was "bittersweet" (that was the word one of the 2nd graders used to describe it) or a mother thanks you for helping her son make it thru a paralyzing case of stage fright. You find friends you never knew you had in these boys and their parents. Boys seek you out at the grocery store to say hi, their dads call to ask if they can buy a car to race at Pinewood Derby and little sisters want to show you their new fancy shoes.

It was the best job I ever had (once I got over my own fear of public speaking).

YiS

Michelle

(edited because correct spelling is not a crime)(This message has been edited by msnowman)

Michelle, you are right about public speaking. Thats the number 1 fear of people, while death is number 2! I never earned that MB! But being a leader is very rewarding the kids usually respect you more than they do their own parents and you can make a positive impact on some kids life.

Boy, there are some great replies out there. Michelle always knows how to take me back.

I dont think you can know exactly what you will bring and what you will take from the experience. We are each different and gifted in our own way. The bible says we grow from our challenges and I cant think of a more fun or rewarding way to grow than from the challenges of being a Cub Master.

While I was a boy scout for a long time, it really didnt prepare me for being a role model for a 120 boys. I look back on my adult scouting experience and I can honestly say that it help me grow up a lot. Scouting helped me be a better father and husband.

Boys will look up to you, respect you and follow your every word simply because you have the title. That to me is scary because no adult should have that kind of power, yet most Cub Masters do. But in a sense, I found myself when I became a Cub Master because it was a time and place where everything really is all about the boys. That sounds so simple, but when real life hits you in the face, you will be confronted a lot with choices of whats easy and whats right.

As I said before, all of the boys and most of the adults will automatically look up to you for all the answers just because you have the title Cub Master, but one of the first things I did right was I found a mentor to help me find my way. It was an accident, but I needed direction and God placed before me a Webelos leader with 18 years experience in Girls Scouts and Boy Scouts. She was good and she was willing to show me the way. Find your mentors so that when the hard stuff smacks you in the face, you have a compass.

95 percent of Cub Mastering is so much fun that you will fall asleep every night with a smile locked on your face. 5 percent is a growing experience that will make you a better man.

Keep your eye on the ball and remember that no matter what you are doing, if it is fun, then you are likely doing it right. You are the Fun tester, it has to be Fun.

Oh how I love this scouting stuff.

Barry

Thank you all - lots of good info here!

I think I'll probably do it...I talked to my son to see how he would feel about it, with the understanding that I wouldn't be able to be his ADL next year, and he says that he would like it if I were the CM. As far as being his Tiger Cub partner, that's no problem. The current CM will be staying on through the rest of the year, and I'd be working with him and his wife as sort of a co-CM/CM-in-training capacity until I took over as CM beginning next school year. The current CM would also be staying with the Pack as a Webelos DL, so he'd be available if I needed to bounce anything off him.

We do more or less have volunteers for all of the different positions. I'm sure I'll need to take some extra stuff on here and there, because that's just the nature of an organization run by volunteers, but I'll figure it out. The Advancement Chair has been involved in Scouting for years, and I know he'll help guide me as needed.

I think I'll probably take the position. Public speaking is not a problem for me, so what worries me most is keeping it fun and fresh for the boys.

Thank you all for your feedback!

- Two Sirius

How big can your pack be? A few years ago when I was in your same shoes with a Pack of 132 boys. I can sympathize with you. The formula is very simple and everyone has pointed out already. For me, you should get plenty of:

1) Training - get plenty of them

2) Volunteers - get plenty of them (don't ask for them ... tell them what you need for them to do)

3) Communications - get plenty of them

4) Planning - get plenty of them (plan A, B and sometimes in your back pocket C and let your Assistant Cubmaster(s) know. I find it very helpful to get the whole committee to do an annual planning in May.)

5) Fun - get plenty of them (... let the proverbial "hair" down and be a kid! Don't worry about being and acting as a perfect fool in front of 400 complete strangers!)

6)Gratitude - get plenty of them (... to thank all who helped you to have so much fun!)

I love being a CM!

WARNING, DANGER WILL ROBINSON, DANGER! General Surgeon may say that without volunteers there is a high chance burn out!

Good luck ... it's the best job (ok ... second best job) that you will have in scouting. The best job? Scoutmastership!

Such wonderful advice given so far. I was a CM for five years for a very large pack (120 plus boys) and will say looking back that I had a blast. There are times these days when I am frustrated as a SM that I wonder if my services wouldn't be better used as a CM again!

Eagledad said it well in that the folks in the pack will look to you for all the answers. Training training training. But, nothing you learn in a classroom or from a book will prepare you for the real world of Cubmastership. Or, for that matter, any position you may hold in Scouting. It's in doing the job that you will learn what kind of CM you will be and what talents you have to bring to the job.

For me, the biggest challenge was being the "up front" gal. I have always been terrified of public speaking and not very confident in my abilities to direct people. You know, "why would anyone want to listen to me," kind of thing. So, it was with great reluctance that I took the CM job when asked.

Admittedly, I came across as very stiff and even unfriendly for several months, always being compared to the former CM who was a great guy, life of the party, fun and spontaneous. But, I began to grow into the job and the pack began to see and benefit from the strengths I did bring - organization, communication, knowledge of the program and, amazingly, the powers of gentle persuasion to get others to volunteer. With the satisfaction that those areas of Pack management were going well, easing up and enjoying the job slowly came.

The result? After five years of singing, dancing, wearing costumes, and general silliness, I sure got over my fear of public speaking.

Everyone here has mentioned training and I'd like to add one more - PowWow. Assuming every Council holds this, it was the best Cub Leader training I took. I signed up every year and took different modules. The notebooks from the courses were excellent resources, but the chance to visit and talk with Scouters from other areas in our Council and share ideas was invaluable.

Good luck to you and have fun with your Pack.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi TwoSirius,

Gotta quote gwd-scouter, "nothing you learn in a classroom or from a book will prepare you for the real world of Cubmastership. Or, for that matter, any position you may hold in Scouting. "

To keep it fun & fresh, definitely network at monthly roundtables. If you can, ask to visit pack meetings at other local packs & see what they do - what's old hat for them may be brand new for you (plus you get to see firsthand what works & what doesn't).

One absolute must - don't unofficially take on any additional duties. For example, just because you go on all the campouts & outings, don't get stuck organizing them too. Don't become a crutch every time there aren't enough volunteers for an event or activity. The CC & the Committee should be getting the bodies.

Another must - never underestimate the power of a good ceremony. If there was one place I'd put more time into, it would be ceremonies.

That said, there's nothing like the feeling you get when you get it right.

Good luck whether you go for the CM spot, or stay as

a Den Leader.

NC

• 2 weeks later...

Last year I was TDL. Our Cubmaster did nothing but spend money and then demand that he be reimbursed without seeking permission of the committee beforehand. Then he moved to working afternoons, and he couldn't comprehend that he could not go to pack or committee meetings because he would be working. We had to force him down to ACM. He has not shown up _ever_ since he became ACM. So we're rechartering without him. He also failed to take the training for 3 years, and becuase of that, he believed he ran the pack, not the committee.

However, I was asked to be CM. I took it becuase we have no one else to to it. I am still activly looking for a reliable person to take it. I am also on the District Committee, and I lead the Wolf den (my son is in it), although I am only registered as the CM. My DE knows I do all three. And I work full-time. And I'm working my Woodbadge ticket.

The biggest problem I have is that the CM job is supposed to be an emcee for the pack meeting. If the CC doesn't do their job - then everyone looks to the cubmaster.

Which leads me to another point. Prior to the current CC taking over the former CM and CC were married to each other. So a lot of work went on behind the backs of the committee that no one realized. So my CC doesn't know all the stuff that need to be done, and I am the only one who goes to roundtable.

The only advice I have is your son is your first priorty. You will have to register as the CM becuase the pack has to have one of those. You need the training for it too. If you want to do both jobs make sure that the committee understands their own jobs and what your job entails. You do not run or organize anything - you assist and emcee.

I will be honest with you in that I do not want to be CM anymore. I don't want to be CC either. I liked being a DL.

However if your committee and parents will step up and share the work to let you be an emcee then go for it. But your son is still your first priority.

Woodbadge was one the the best experience that I ever had. Take it even if you remain a DL.