Pop - up Scout for campout

We have had a Webelos campout planned since September for this weekend. It has been published and reviewed in notes and schedule updates. We have met and done a meal plan and shopping list. Tonight we go shopping with the boys to purchase the items we voted on and budgetted for. Now 11:00 AM Thursday, a scout and his dad who have been absent for over six months want to go on the campout.

Is there room? yes.

Can we accomidate? Yes we food shop tonight.

Does this parent or kid have a behavorial problem. No

Why now? His sport has ended.

Nevertheless, I feel anger towards this family just poping in after many months of no-shows. And not even a reply a week or two ago that, "we might go."

Comments?

It seems that for the past several months, I have dealt with at least a half-dozen instances where those that delay, don't commit, procrastinate, put-off, etc. are rewarded with people accomodating them at the eleventh hour. In some cases it has been detrimental to others that do their best to 'follow the program'. In other cases, no one is really impacted, other than the boy (and his parents) whose development is reinforced with the notion that its okay to wait until the very last minute because there are always suckers out there to bend over backwards to accomodate them. Its like showing up at a parade an hour early to get a good roadside seat, only to have a group of yahoos plop themselves down right in front of you just as the parade starts. They have shown no respect for your time and effort, and expect to be 'taken care of' because they deserve it and you're are a good guy. Accomodation is fine, as long as its not all one-sided.

Put your anger aside. Then let the scout and his father know that the time for committing to this trip has passed. In the future, set a firm sign-up deadline and stick to it.

I've got to the reverse situation. A month of planning our December campout, limited it to 12 scouts because the location has restricted campsites. Filled it up quickly and started a waiting list. Scouts planned and provisioned the meals. Weather forecast isn't looking real good but hey, its December. Well 4 days before the campout, 50% can't make it (other commitments). We are now down to 8 scouts. We will charge the 4 who bailed at the last minute for the meals. Seems to be a re-occuring scenario.

Competing with sports can be frustrating. Coaches are quick to adopt a no miss policy for practice and games. I always tell the boys I am glad they are in sports and we will be here when the season is over. Having said that, I agree with SemperPeratus about setting a drop dead date. It is frustrating to have the PLC plan an outing and then have people dither about whether they are going. For this very reason we do our grocery shopping for campouts and outings on our way out of town. We budget the time to do it this way as when we've got them in the cars and moving, I am pretty sure they are going.

Semper,

I hear you brother. I was the adult mentor to our scout planner for the December campout. Our adults function as a patrol and we plan a menu and shop just like the boys. The guy who volunteered to handle the menu, food buying and cooking/KP duty roster then announced that he and his son's attendance would be dependent on the weather. I looked at one of my ASM buddies and said I never was aware that backing out was an option. ;)

He did end up going. I really, really don't like cold weather camping or extremely hot camping...but I never miss a campout because I made a committment to serve.