Gift for cubmaster

When I was a CM and was stepping down, our pack (14 dens, 132 boys) gave me a gift that meant more than anything that could be purchased. They gave me a scrap book of pictures and notes from each den and from each boy! That brought tears to my eyes when I read the book (even now)!

One den gave me a plaque. My own den gave me a plaque with the pictures of all the boys. Another den gave me a huge role of decorated paper with their messages and signatures. Finally, the parents chipped in and gave me a gift card to Academy and my wife a bouquet of flower and a plaque thanking her for sharing me.

Perhaps, the best gift better than that was at the end of that pack meeting, a mother took me aside and told me that her son cried when he found out that night that I will no longer be the cubmaster! I assured him that I am not going away and that I will still be around! That brought a smile to his face!

1Hour

We just presented our out-going CM with a nice BSA Walking Stick. We had asked each den to make a "dangle" to hang from it. As they arrived at the Pack meeting, we hung their dangle on the Walking Stick then made a nice presentation about "as you continue on your Scouting journey." (He's also very involved in the Troop).

We got the Walking Stick at our Scout Store, less than $30.00. It was a very nice gift and the dangles were a nice way to personalize it. Each den dangle was unique and creative - we gave very little instruction, just that it needed to hang from the strap.

clyde

I've seen this whole gift thing cause issues with others who provide substantial service to the whole pack yet get no gift and little mention. The Committee Chair, Advancement Chair, Outings Chair and so forth work just as hard all year long.

So I would think that if a few active people are leaving the gifts should be consumate with the effort involved.

Just my 2 cents.

I received everything from plates of cookies to engraved plaques. The best one of all was when a bunch of the little guys crowded up to give me big hugs. To me, all the patches and certificates and things are just stuff. The warm memory of all those bright smiling faces outweighs anything else.

• 1 month later...

I also servered as Cubmaster from a "mega" pack of over 100 kids for several years. When I stepped down as CM in May, the Pack gave me the best gift that I have ever recieved.

They had collected for, purchased and presented me with an Eagle Scout class ring that I had never had the financial resources to purchase for myself. I'm not ashamed to admit that it brought tears to my eyes when I opened it. Their gift has been a daily reminder for me of two of the best periods in my life, earning my Eagle Scout award & serving as CM.

A lot of truly wonderful gift ideals have been mentioned in this thread and they all have one thing in common. They come from the heart!!

Awesome1

As yes, I was also CM for a mega-pack for five years. When I stepped down I was presented with a very nice engraved glass trophy with my years of service. The best thing, though, was the slide show that included pictures of the Cubs I had served for all those years - parades, picnics, den meetings, campouts. Oh yeah, they had some very funny pictures of me in there too, acting every bit the silly Cubmaster.

I still cherish the memories of my years in Cub Scouts. Yesterday I received a most wonderful gift and one that I'm sure you will all agree is the best part about being involved in Scouting.

One of the den leaders from my days as CM called. Seems his son has earned his Eagle and is having his ceremony next month. Dad called to tell me that his he and his son would very much like to have me take some part in the ceremony. Now, I haven't seen this boy since he crossed over from the pack to a troop five years ago.

Whew - that brought a tear to my eye for sure!

I've seen this whole gift thing cause issues with others who provide substantial service to the whole pack yet get no gift and little mention. The Committee Chair, Advancement Chair, Outings Chair and so forth work just as hard all year long. So I would think that if a few active people are leaving the gifts should be consumate with the effort involved. Excellent point and we should remember those folks.  We have to remember that a Cubmaster, by default, will receive more gifts from the Scouts than committee members because he interfaces frequently with the Scouts and relationships are built.  We also like to recognize and reward those who are willing to step into a volunteer job that is difficult to fill.  Committee positions are easier to fill than Cubmaster.  If you don't have a Cubmaster, you don't have a Pack. 

That said, a good Cubmaster will make sure that the Committee Chair and committee members are recognized for their service.  On the other hand, good committee members will make sure the Cubmaster is adequately recognized.

In our Pack, our Cubmaster is the hardest worker and there is never a question of whether the gifts he receives are "consumate with the effort involved."   

there are many good ideals here, i have a question i would like to do something for our ACM he is crossing over to boy scouts with his son, but we do have a few other den leaders that this will be there last year, i don't want this to come out the wrong way but i feel that he puts in quit a bit more in all than some of the others and am not sure how it would look for us as a pack to give him a gift and not get the other leaders something? i just feel that each den should do for their leader and we should do something as a pack for him. i would like some feed back on this since this is my first year as a leader but was with the pack last year as well.