Succession Planning - - Advice?

So here's my deal. I'm a Wolf Scout dad with another one starting Tiger Cubs next year (so I have about 5 1/2 years left with this Pack). I became Cubmaster last year (yes, in my first year) due to a leadership shakeup. Along with a very supportive Committee Chair and decent core of parents, we've doubled the size of the pack from 36 to 75 boys in one year. We've quadrupled our fundraising results, and overall, parent/scout satisfaction with the program is very, very high.

So it's time for me to move on and find a replacement.

By moving on, I mean finding a new ACM (or two, or three) who will learn the ropes from me next year, and then take over the year after. I'll transition into whatever "plug and play" role the Pack has for me (recruiting, Pinewood, Outings Coordinator, etc.)

QUESTION: So how do you all go through the process of choosing new CMs or CCs? What kind of things do you consider when thinking about potential candidates? Whose advice do you seek on potential candidates?

Perhaps most importantly, when approaching the prospective replacement, do you first use tranquilizer darts to sedate him/her, or do you just hold them down and then put on the radio transmitter collar? ;)

ChuckSt8er

First of all, you said you are looking to turn over CM position in 2 years. If that is the case, I would make certain to do a couple of things...

1) Hand pick your ACM. By "hand pick" I mean make a careful choice of someone with some Cub Scout leadership experience who fits the personality of a Cub Master and who loves to work with the boys. This will likely be an individual who is already one of your pack leaders. Make a recommendation to the Committee when you have made your choice.

2) Be upfront with the individual about your intentions to have them take over for you in 2 years' time. There should not be any surprises or misinterpretations of your plans for this person. They should accept the position knowing that they will be taking over as CM after 2 years so they can prepare.

I would also lay out a very clear outline of what I expect of the new ACM. And don't forget training... make certain the new ACM becomes fully Trained, and get them to Wood Badge if at all possible before they take over as Cub Master.

Best of luck

Eagle Pete(This message has been edited by eagle-pete)

I wouldnt push woodbadge training, but it will be easier since you have time, to have the new CM get all the other required training out of the way.

I became a Tiger Den Leader (of 18 tigers ~yes please pray for me,often~) and ACM in one week. Our current CM is leaving at the end of the school year (his kid is going into BS) but he has already "left" for the most part, so my biggest headache was dealing with both the new pack leadership duties and fitting in BALOO, leader specific training,etc,roundtables in all in a short time.

ChuckSt8er,

The main advice I have on succession planning is "Do it." You are well ahead of the curve in the fact that you are trying to figure out now who your replacement will be.

When I was CM, I had three ACMs in a pack your size. I'd try to make sure at least one or two of them were potential replacements. I didn't recruit them as ACMs specifically to become CM, and I didn't tell them I wanted a new CM when I recruited them as an ACM. But after they've done the ACM role for awhile, then you find a quiet place sometime when you know he's in a good mood and enjoying Scouting, hand him the CM patch, yell, "Tag! You're it!", and run away laughing madly. No, wait, that wasn't exactly it. I told him I'd be stepping down and asked if he'd take on the role.

As for what I looked for - someone who was willing to stand up in front of the group and have fun, someone who was organized behind the scenes, someone who was known to the CO, and someone who had enough good sense to deal with the other parents and any issues that might come up. The main person whose advice I sought was that of the CC.

Oak Tree

Does your council have an annual Cub Scout leader Pow Wow event? If so, check and see if they have some classes on selecting leaders and leadership transition. You might want to take them. If you've missed your event, you should be able to find out who taught them and get copies of their handouts.