Outdoor Activity Award question

There is some debate atm in our Pack over what would constitute Cub Scout day camp. We had a new boy join our Pack in September, so he missed regular CS day camp. However, this weekend he is participating in a Council run day long Cub Scout outdoor activity which included a family overnight last nite.

Does a single day long Council event/family overnight meet the spirit of CS day camp? One of his leaders thinks it should count, the other has their doubts. (I'm neither, so I'm not entitled to an opinion but was asked for my thoughts...I'm still unsure).

YiS

Michelle

I would say no, it doesn't count. The wording is pretty explicitly for the day camp that councils run during the summer. Or at least that's my read. The main thing the award seems to be for, in fact, is attending day camp. The rest of the requirements are pretty easy and most every Scout would meet them, or could do so easily. A Scout has his entire Cub Scout career to earn that patch. If he never goes to day camp the entire time he's a Cub Scout, then I don't see any reason to bend the rules to give him that patch. When I was Cubmaster, I only gave the award to those who attended summer day camp (or Webelos resident camp), and let that serve as an incentive for the rest to attend day camp next year.

Oak Tree

I think that it might qualify if they stayed overnight. It is a council camping experience, not simply a Pack one. If you want it clarified, contact your council and ask them if they would accept the weekend overnighter instead of summer camp.

What level is the Scout?

Thanks for the replies. This scout is a first year Bear. He joined us in September and has made great strides (earned his Bobcat at the Sept Pack meeting, gung-ho in activities, active mom, etc.). He and mom spent the night Friday night, in spite of high winds and driving rains (ah, Maine in the Fall...a few degrees cooler and it would have been snow) and took part in all of the activities Saturday. He was the only first year Scout who spent the night - all the others came up on Saturday only.

YiS

Michelle

Good for him! I hope he earns the award!

Give him lots of encouragment & remind him he can earn it again next year & add a wolf track to his badge. If he attends summer camp & earns the Summertime Award, he will have 2 requirements done by the end of summer (along with having a GREAT time)!

Day Camp is not a summer only experience. Our council runs both fall and winter day camps. See: http://www.northernstarbsa.org/Camping/FallFestival.asp. They get to do all sorts of fun things - river cruises, hay rides, caramel apple making, a hay maze.

The Outdoor activity award requirements also include as an option, attending Resident camp. Our council includes these one-night experiences (sometimes called Mom & Me, or Lad & Dad or Family Camp) under the umbrella of Resident camp, even though they are run according to the Cub Scout Family Camping Standards. In our council attending one of these is counted towards the Outdoor Activity Award.

Bottom line, I would check with your council camping director (in particular the Cub Camping Director if you have one), to see if they feel the experience meets the spirit of the Outdoor Activity Award.

"this weekend he is participating in a Council run day long Cub Scout outdoor activity which included a family overnight last nite..."

The award states:  "Attend Cub Scout Day Camp OR Cub Scout/Webelos Scout Resident Camp".  It sounds like to me he has met the requirement, but check with your Council for their interpretation. 

In my council, a Cub-overnighter does not count as a "resident camp".

In addition to several weeklong resident camps in the summer and several daycamps, my council offers a two-nite weekend campout in the fall that will satisfy the requirement.

According to our council camping person, a "resident camp" is defined as two or more nights.

YMMV

Requirements:

Scouts at all ranks must attend Cub Scout day camp or Cub Scout/ Webelos Scout resident camp in the current program year

Attend a pack overnighter. Be responsible by being prepared for the event.

Are you trying to use the same event for both requirements?

Just asking

I appreciate everybody's insight as it has given us various angles from which to examine this.

TRLarue - The question wasn't really whether we could count one event twice. It was "does a 1 day Council run Cub Scout Outdoor Event meet the spirit of the "attend day camp" part of the "Attend Cub Scout Day Camp OR Cub Scout/Webelos Scout Resident Camp" requirement"?

The leaders want to do what is best & fair for new the boy, while staying fair to the other boys, so it isn't a question of being interested in bending rules or tweaking requirements for this one child. It is more of a question of "would we be cheating him out of something he has earned by doing this activity?".

YiS

Michelle