Non Scouts @ Resident Camps

I am a cubmaster and a father of 2 Cub Scouts and one pre Cub Scout. The problem is that we have a Mom and Me coming up and I am slatted to be on staff. The problem arrises with my 5 year old son, turns 6 in March, I was told by the people who are puting on the event that bringing the 5 year old was fine. He would be put in a mixed den with his brothers. This has been our councils policy for along time. Then our DE, who likes to make up rules as he goes, said no-way on my 5 year old. The DE did not clear this with our new SE. The new SE is informed about this and is checking into it. I can not tell the 5 year old, who loves to camp, that he can not go and will have to stay at grandmas while the rest of the family goes camping.

I was wondering if this is a BSA policy or is this grey are to be left to be determined by the council. Any Thoughts?

In the Circle Ten Council (North Texas), the Mom N Me/Dad N Lad campouts will only allow registered Cub Scouts. Siblings are not allowed. I don't know the reason for this policy, but I will say that it has severely affected families in our Pack from attending this event. Some our our families have backed-out because if they all could not go then no one goes.

What does the camp application say about non-Scouts?

Here's what the Guide to Safe Scouting has to say on the topic of non-scout siblings at camp:

Under "Age Guidelines" for "Camping":

"If a well-meaning leader brings along a child who does not meet these age guidelines, disservice is done to the unit because of distractions often caused by younger children. A disservice is also done to the child, who is not trained to participate in such an activity and who, as a nonmember of the group, may be ignored by the older campers."

AND, under the section re: "Pack Overnighters":

"If nonmembers (siblings) participate, the event must be structured accordingly to accommodate them. BSA health and safety and youth protection guidelines apply..."

These would appear to limit the participation of a non-scout child, or at least to suggest that such children should only be there if there is an age-appropriate program for them too. For this reason, I know that our council strongly, strongly discourages the attendance of non-scout children at either district or unit-level events. This is hammered home in BALOO training around here. The only exception is that our district allows staff children under the age of 6 to attend cub day camp, and they have a special day care set up for them.

HOWEVER, if you also look at the section of the G2SS that addresses family camping, here's what it says:

"Family camping: an outdoor camping experience, other than resident camping, that involves Cub Scouting, Boy Scouting, or Venturing program elements in overnight settings with two or more family members, including at least one BSA member of that family. Parents are responsible for the supervision of their children, and Youth Protection guidelines apply."

And this seems to open the door to non-scout siblings attending a council family camping program (as opposed to pack programs). So I suppose it depends in part on how your council chooses to define the program they are offering. I could see making an argument in either direction for family-oriented events, based on the above.

While Family Involvement is a big part of Cub Scouts, as a rule, non-scout siblings are not allowed at council or district camping events. There is no program to cover the siblings, so as a result they are doing activities that are either to old, or to young for them. There could also be an insurance problem.

Council Sponsored Family Camps are another thing altogether. In that situation, programing is supplied for the entire family, siblings included. Some Day Camps & council events also will supply babysitting or a sibling area for the event. That is fine.

My council does not provide program for sibs at Day Camps, Parent/Pal weekends, Cub Fun Days, Scout Klondikes or Camporees. Because of this, & unspecified insurance issues, only registered Scout youths are allowed at these events.

Diver66, if you feel being a staff member would put an unnecessary burden on your family, perhaps you should consider not being on staff for programs that your scout will be attending. Or, you could just remind your younger son that there are rules, and a time, for everything & his turn to be a Cub Scout will be coming in a year or 2.

• 3 weeks later...

Family involvement is encouraged in our Council. BUT when your on staff you can't be watching your family. A non-scout attending the event is your responsibility and if your watching the event you can't split your time.

Being a Day Camp Director I've seen this first hand.

The choices would be to not be on staff and camp with the family OR be on staff and leave the non scout home.

'Dad and Lad', 'Mom and Me', 'Son and One' 'Parent-Scout',regardless of THE RULES, I like to think of it as a chance for alittle individual quality time with ONE child. Let the siblings have their own 'one on one' sometime later (or earlier). If everyone goes family camping too, so much the better. But give your Cub some 'special' time with A mom or A dad. (or A uncle or A aunt...)

'Course, if you have more than one Cub in your family, maybe you could go to more than one 'Son and One'...

Jes' a thought...