Tiger Requirements

This is my first post so let me give you a quick introduction. My name is Christy and I have a new Tiger Cub Scout. I also have an 11 year old daughter and am heavily involved in Girl Scouts. Having grown up in a family of girls, Cub/Boy Scouts is all new to me and seems very much like a foreign language. :)

My question is this: I have the Tiger book and read through all of the requirements. In our Den we are taking turns running meetings - I have the first couple. Since it will take a little bit to memorize the items for Bobcat, is it allowed to begin working on the Tiger requirements before they earn Bobcat? Or do they need to complete one badge before working on another?

Christy

I worked on both at the same time with my boys last year. Have them recite at each meeting. Keep track of everything they do. Make games up to learn them. I used a printout cut up with each part and put them in a balloon had the boys break the balloons different way each time. After breaking the balloon the boys had to do what the paper said. The boys loved it.

They can work on Tiger requirements & electives now. However they can not RECEIVE any of their Tiger rank achievement beads until AFTER they RECEIVE their BOBCAT rank award.

They also can not RECEIVE any of their elective Tiger Tracks until AFTER they RECEIVE their TIGER rank award.

What this generally means is that everyone signs off in the book when things get finished & you keep track of what the boys have done in your records. At the Pack meeting they receive their Bobcat award, AFTER their Bobcats have been presented, you then present them with all of the Tiger achievement beads they have earned to date.

The same happens at the Pack meeting they receive their Tiger rank award (usually Blue & Gold in Feb is a good time to shoot for those to be finished). Right after the Tiger rank is awarded, you award the boys with whatever Tiger Tracks they have earned up to that point.

BTW - WELCOME Christy!! The GS program is WAY different from Cub Scouts, which is WAY different from Boy Scouts. Bring your knowledge of running meetings, songs, games, booth sales, etc. Try NOT to bring your knowledge of GSUSA rules & regs & ways of doing things. Your frustration level will go way down if you can accomplish this. My daughter is 3 years ahead of my son, so I too had to reconcile looking at BSA thru GSUSA eyes!

Have FUN! or, as we say in Cub Scouts -

KISMIF - Keep It Simple Make It Fun!!

Thank you for the balloon idea! I knew there must be a way to make those boring requirements fun - I just hadn't come up with it yet. I love that idea! What would boys enjoy more - breaking things and making loud noises at the same time. :)

ScoutNut, thank you for the clarification. I go to our first pack meeting tomorrow and I'm hoping that will help clear a few things up. Thank you also for the encouragment about moving from Girl Scouts to Cub Scouts. I'm trying to go in with an open mind.

I figure if I can handle 18 screaming 1st grade girls, then 5 sweet little boys should be a piece of cake!