what is a pittilatter?

A Piddle -Later

is a hand washing station.

Used after you have been to the bathroom / Nearest tree!!

Some use a gallon plastic milk carton to supply water, a bar of soap with a hole for string and a some sort of bowl. The shape of the bowl dictates the design of the gadget. Round bowls normally use a tripod while square bowls tend to make it more of a camp dresser.

Since we now have anti-bacterial waterless soap, the need for piddle-laters is not as great as it once was. Still it's a good place to keep the very important papers!! It can act as a reminder that people should wash their hands after visiting the bathroom.

Eamonn.(This message has been edited by Eamonn)

queenj02,

Greetings!

Here are a few amateur links below, I tried to find drawing or picture but no luck.

I usually bring a no.10 coffee can, with a nail driven hole in the bottom side. It is plugged with a golf tee. I tie this to a nearby tree, close to the cooking station.

Also tied to the tree branch. a bar of soap, sitting in the bottom of ladies nylon stocking.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

http://www.pack55.org/forms/Pack55-handbook.pdf

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/17798140/print/true/pging/true/page/2.cfm

http://www.naturesgarden.ca/sanitation.htm

" a bar of soap, sitting in the bottom of ladies nylon stocking"

Failure to remove the Lady is not in keeping with the G2SS and in some States a passing Policeman will take a very dim view of this.

Eamonn.

(I'm sorry!!)

I realize it has been answered but I won't let this go to waste. Here is my description of the Pittilater: I still think it is spelled, Piddlelater

This is actually an Alternate to the Ancient Clean-up stand which was a four foot tripod with a horizontal bar to hold a towel and a water basin in the fork of the tripod at the 3.5 foot level. A mirror can be tied to the top with string. If a person wants to go further, tie three horizontal bars around the tripod about 2.5 off the ground and then lash a table top across the middle. A person can spread out all of their clean-up gear on it.

So,

Build a tripod using 5 foot poles, app. 2 inches in diameter with one foot of the poles extending above the lashing.

A gallon can is filled with water and set into the bracing at the top of the tripod stand. A small nail size hole is drilled into the base of the gallon water can. The release mechanism for the hole is a 3"-4"round tapered stick pushed through the hole. The stick can be pulled through until it jams, stopping the flow of water or pushed back into the can until a stream of water runs out.

The soap may be bits of soap trailings dropped into one of Moms old nylon stockings and hung below the water source. When the water runs down the stocking it dampens the soap making it usable.

Paper or cloth towels can be hung on or from one of the upper forks of the stand.

If the stand is near the latrine, then a one inch horizontal cross brace is tied to the tripod about two to three feet from the ground with ends extending past the tripod poles. This allows for toilet paper to be slipped on one end.

Generally the apparatus is a few feet away from the latrine. A Y stick is used to hold two rolls of toilet paper on the Y parts. The long end of the Y is sharpened and driven into the ground so the paper is about 12 to 18 inches above the ground. Cans or plastic 2 litter bottles can be used to cover the toilet paper to prevent moisture on the paper.

Modern Alternate:

The can and the stocking can simply be hung from a low hanging tree limb using nylon string with care. A parallel rope/string can be hung to hold a towel or paper towels.

I know that I had an article from BL or Program Helps but I can't find it. FB